What To Do After A Binge...

Options
awesome post i found on http://matchstickmolly.com

So you binged. You just went through your cupboards, your refrigerator and the burger shop down the block and just about obliterated every food morsel in sight. Your pants feel tight, your stomach (and every other part of your body) feels huge, and you feel like dying. What to do now?

1. Don’t purge. I know it’s really hard to hold back from it, especially if you’ve done it before, but it will not benefit you in any way. Here is what purging does to your body, and let’s face it, it’s pretty icky.

2. Don’t reduce your calorie intake for tomorrow (or any of the days following) to nothing. It might seem like a logical plan, but if you restrict tomorrow, you’ll never get into a normal cycle of eating. You’ll be constantly ricocheting between binge and purge, starve and binge, purge and starve. You’ll never be eating normally.

3. Remember that it takes 3500 EXCESS calories to gain a pound. This means 3500 calories on top of what your body already requires to function on a day-to-day basis. It’s highly unlikely your stomach can even hold this much, much less double that, so it’s very unlikely you’ll gain more than two pounds from this! Your progress is not back at zero. Your efforts so far are not null. This is just a little bump in the road.

4. Put on comfy clothes. Honestly. Tight clothes will just make you feel worse. Feeling bad = more binging. Take off those tight jeans, and put on some cozy sweats.

5. Use your binge as a learning experience. What triggered it? Did you feel out of control? Did you actually want all the food you were eating, or were you just eating for eating’s sake? Did you even like the taste of some of it? Do you think you binged because you deprived yourself of a treat you wanted earlier? Did you binge because you’ve been starving all day and just couldn’t take it anymore? Try and understand your binge, understand what your mind went through when your hands were reaching for all that food. The more you can understand the reasons behind your binge, the better you’ll be next time at preventing them—when you’re standing in the middle of a binge, it actually has nothing to do with willpower, it’s usually the result of decisions you made much earlier. For more information on how your brain can trick you into binging when its not getting enough nutrients, click here and here.

6. Remember that you are NOT a failure, bad for eating, undeserving of life, or ugly because you decided to give yourself what you really wanted.

Now for the fun part.

Tomorrow, wake up all bright and sunny. Leap right out of bed (Note: when wondering how to get out of bed, the answer is always “leap.”) Have a delicious bowl of healthy for breakfast and get really excited about feeling awesome all day because of all the healthy food you’re going to bless your body with. Take a walk, if you’d like to. Smile all day long. Drink some water.

But don’t purge and don’t restrict. Eat how you’d normally eat, cause you’re a normal eating healthy person who does not fall prey to freak eating cycles. You don’t need that ****, look at you, you’re hot as hell.

ALL CREDITS GO TO http://matchstickmolly.com

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great advice, thanks for sharing.
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post... came in very handy..
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Bump so more people can see this. Absolutely fantastic, thank you for sharing <3
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i usually plan my binges, so there is no guilt - love 'em!
    I have my food orgies at Thanksgiving, x-mas, easter and labor day.

They're a part of my overall program, and the results came just as I planned.
    Got one coming this Sunday - fun fun fun!

And afterward, I hit the grindstone and continue onward as though nothing happened.

All Is Possible!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    very, very true! Thanks. I am fighting the urge to go further in to the negative.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This is great!! Thanks!!!:happy:
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thank you for sharing!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    i usually plan my binges, so there is no guilt - love 'em!
    I have my food orgies at Thanksgiving, x-mas, easter and labor day.

They're a part of my overall program, and the results came just as I planned.
    Got one coming this Sunday - fun fun fun!

And afterward, I hit the grindstone and continue onward as though nothing happened.

All Is Possible!

Agree with this.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing. I really needed this after a binge I had yesterday.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    this is just excellent.
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • mylifex2
    Options
    this is a great post! I have struggled with eating disorders most of my life, and this post was one of the best I have seen in a while. thanks!
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Timing couldn't be more perfect for me to read this! I had a weekend full of BAD bindging to the point of sickness. Ill read this everytime I feel a binge coming on! Thank you for this!
  • 00Steph
    Options
    This was spot on!! Great advice.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The ugly cycle Binge Purge Binge Purge

Thanks for the useful info. I do need this.
  • Ginial1479
    Ginial1479 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is great info. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Bump this for later. Thanks for the article!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post... came in very handy..

This
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    This is cool. like me I have ENdos and I go back with binging, purging and just not eating at times. So I hve gotten to a point that when I binge that I have to be responsible for what I do.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!