I'm very frustrated!!!

Options
I have been trying to eat better foods, exercise a bit (at least 20 minutes, if not more, each time I walk), and I cut out sodas altogether and I haven't seen one single thing to show for it. The only thing is that I have been more frustrated. I done this for 2 weeks straight and nothing. The last time I gave up sodas I lost 10 pounds within the first week...what's so different this time? I weighed myself 2 weeks ago, and I weighed myself yesterday...it's exactly the same! :(

I feel like I am sacrificing a heck of a whole lot and for what? I already feel like I am depriving myself of things that I love and I'm not getting anything out of it.

I remember when I lost weight the last time, it was only because one of the medicines my dr. put me on made me really sick (nauseous sick) and within 3 weeks I lost 20 pounds. I know that's not the healthy way to lose but I wish I could lose those pounds again as quickly as I did then.

I really want to feel healthier but I have no idea how I can do that without feeling like I'm starving myself.

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    From having a quick look through your diary, I'll offer a couple of observations.

1. Drink more water. It looks like you are having 3-4 cups a day, even with the other drinks you are having, this is probably not ideal.

2. Log your exercise, and set some targets to acheive a certain level. The best part is you get to eat back the calories you spend exercising, so more burn = more food, and it'll get your metabolisism firing.

3. You are still having quite a few calorie rich foods, I know making the shift from convinience to more nutritionally sound food is one of the hardest, but if you plan your meals in the beginning this will get easier. Look for foods that will fill you up for longer for relatively low calories (ie chicken/turkey etc) and load up on as many vegetables as you want.

Perhaps one way to look at it is to plan your healthier meals for dinner and add the calories in the morning (I often do this), it will give you a good idea of what you can fit in during the day - even factor in a treat for desert at the end of the day if you find you need a little something to feel less deprived.

Hope that helps a little.
  • LucieBear
    LucieBear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you feel frustrated and I do understand, I have been there too... I read once that in order to change our weight we first must change our mind.. we have to change our way of thinking.. what we were eating before is not good for us therefore we are not depriving ourselves of it... I know it is easier said than done, my weakness is chocolate and I cannot have any in the house cause it calls my name I swear..

You have to find a food that you would love but is low in calories. I love potato chips, but I have replaced them with Crisp minis (rice cakes) lime and sea salt and I get my salt, and now when I do have potato chips I find them very greasy, unable to eat much of them.

When I am very hungry, I make myself a large bowl of salad and put a low fat dressing that I love and that fills me up. I am not telling you what to do.. but just sharing what I do so it might help you with ideas. I always have sugar free gum and chew for hours in a day....it helps

Your body might be in a shock, so give it time don't give up, you will feel better... anytime you need to express yourself do so we are here to listen and try and support you.

Wish you the best my friend.. stay strong.:wink:
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I found out that french fries are the absolutely worst thing you can eat since our bodies have a tough time metabolizing this fried food. I noticed that you like them as much as I do. I cut out french fries or limit them to once a week, and it seems to be helping a little bit.

Also, I cut out all fast food except for healthier choices like Subway. This is also helping.

It looks like you are heading in the right direction, but when you hit a plateau, you need to start making other changes in addition to the ones you already have.

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    you're eating way too many carbs and waaaaay too much sodium. definitely keep it under 2500 and try to work your way down to 1500. also, you should probably track protein and make sure you're getting enough, around 30% of your total calories. it will help keep you full and its better than carbs.

water, reduce salt, track/increase protein, exercise. good luck!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What they said....too much salt, not enough water.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It is a life change, so don't think you are depriving myself. There are some things I no longer touch like donuts or some chips, but I eat pop chips or sun chips. I'm having a hard time with motivation right now, but you should see a change. Just don't obsess although I do this at times. Stay under your calorie for the most part and work-out which equals more calories.

Good Luck!!
  • deegarcia19
    Options
    eat clean instead of just following a calorie limit... drink more water...
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. But, I think one of the main things is watching your portion sizes.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I personally think that there is nothing healthy in anything you eat. My advice would be to give up that fast food.

- your food choices are not that great
    -sodium and carbs are too high
    - you may be underestimating how much you eat

And I am sorry if that sounds a little rough, I just dont understand how people get frustrated when the solution is clear.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's not always easy to stop eating certain junk/fast food or large meals that you are used it. It's much easier to just keep up bad habits than it is to change. However, I think you just need a little support. I sent you a message and you are more than welcome to add me. Take a few steps at a time and make slower changes if you have rather than fast ones. It might be the difference between make or break it.
  • octoberlightning
    Options
    SoulNeedsBeauty: It is lots better than the way I use to eat...it use to be double that a day on calories/sodium and fat. I get what you mean though and I value your input.

Everyone else: It is definitely a life changing thing, it's not a diet. I am slowly working on what I eat and making smarter choices instead of picking what I know is good but isn't good for me. It is frustrating but I will get thru it somehow, some way. I will take what y'all posted into consideration in how I make my choices food wise. Thanks very much!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat better foods, exercise a bit (at least 20 minutes, if not more, each time I walk), and I cut out sodas altogether and I haven't seen one single thing to show for it. The only thing is that I have been more frustrated. I done this for 2 weeks straight and nothing. The last time I gave up sodas I lost 10 pounds within the first week...what's so different this time? I weighed myself 2 weeks ago, and I weighed myself yesterday...it's exactly the same! :(

I feel like I am sacrificing a heck of a whole lot and for what? I already feel like I am depriving myself of things that I love and I'm not getting anything out of it.

I remember when I lost weight the last time, it was only because one of the medicines my dr. put me on made me really sick (nauseous sick) and within 3 weeks I lost 20 pounds. I know that's not the healthy way to lose but I wish I could lose those pounds again as quickly as I did then.

I really want to feel healthier but I have no idea how I can do that without feeling like I'm starving myself.
    I see that your sodium is ALWAYS over and you don't consume enough water to combat it. That's where I would start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    eat clean instead of just following a calorie limit... drink more water...

This exactly-and increase your exercise. 20 min is an absolute minimum at best. If you can't go to a gym or find a friend to work out with maybe there are some DVDs you can try. If you can use free weights while walking, and maybe try jogging a bit. I have no doubt you are eating better compared to what you used to eat, but big changes need to be made in order for you to see change, and you need to be willing to live with it. You need to learn to like healthy food, fitness and an overall healthy lifestyle. Until then, you'll be going in the same circles.
  • eg140
    eg140 Posts: 8
    Options
    It drove me nuts the first time I tried to give up soda. This second time any time I have a craving I drink diet soda and have a fruit at the same time helps with the diet taste. One of these days I will be free of all soda, but for me right now transitioning to diet soda is a small step in the right direction.
  • ilovemyhorse
    Options
    Too much sodium. If you do go over your sodium, drink water.
    Also, you're not really eating healthy. If you need to eat fast food, have a kids meal.
    Eat a healthy breakfast (oatmeal, toast, fruit, yogurt)
    Try eating more lean meat, Fish or chicken.

Cut down on your portions so you can eat more often during the day. 5 small meals a day is better then a large dinner that takes up all calories.

You need to balance your calories out throughout the day. Not eat all of them at once.

Instead of having 5 chicken strips with ranch- Have 2 strips, with low fat ranch, and some vegetables, and maybe a baked potato.

Treat yourself to donuts, and snack cakes once a week.

Log your exercise. Try walking only a couple times a week, and do some workout dvds. There are a lot on youtube also.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    What kinds of vegetables do you like? I don't really see anything in your menu that isn't bought at a restaurant or made out of a box.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Try cooking instead of take out, you'll get big portions of more filling and healthy lower calorie foods than you would eating take out.
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What kinds of vegetables do you like? I don't really see anything in your menu that isn't bought at a restaurant or made out of a box.
    Yup...and ditto to the sodium / water posts too.

Veggies + fruits + water = good

I don't see any way you're getting enough potassium, calcium, and vitamins with the foods you have chosen to eat each day. Dont just focus on the calories! It's a package deal, you have to do it all. I'll admit my diary has been a little bad because of the holidays and running around without packing a good lunch. Like you said this is a lifestyle not a diet...so treat it as such. Change your lifestyle! What if this week you have one meal a day that you made by hand and don't add salt to it! Go to the store get some veggies (real ones not +cheese, +special sauce frozen packs) get some ground turkey, fish, chicken, buffalo, venison or whatever. Cook it, portion it and BAM you have dinner/lunch for a week.

Most of all just remember that this not going to be short race to the finish. It's going to take time lots and lots of time. Yes it will be hard, yes you will screw up, yes you will get back on the path, yes you will get help and support of others here but this is your race to run and to win.