Is fruit bad for losing weight....

Options
....I've had a really bad 3 days and put on 2lbs and need to get on track fast, I was thinking about eating just fruit for 2 days would this be okay as so many people have told me NOT to eat too much fruit.....really appreciate any advice....

Replies

• AyeshaZS
    Options
    That is what I do too. When I feel hungry, I have fruit. It doesn't help lose weight because its a lot of sugar. Try soups and salads. Don't put on heavy salad dressing, just olive oil and a bit of vinegar with some seasoning, salt pepper and I put in mixed herbs. Don't eat anything solid after 6 pm.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I eat a lot of whole grains (steel cut oats, quinoa etc) and fresh fruit and veggies and I am losing. Fruit (as long as it isn't canned) is good for your body.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you need fruit for its vitamin benefits but i tend to eat more veg because fruit does contain more sugars. keep a bag of carrots in the fridge or celery or make a big batch of veg soup xx
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Two servings of fruit a day is a good idea. You can do a whole day of fruit, just keep it within your calorie limits.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by achieving a caloric deficit - whether that be from fruits, vegetables, meat, lollies or burgers. Fruit is not bad for losing weight, and fruit has nutritional value and is good for you.
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating anything IF you are in a calorie deficit - even twinkies!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    you need fruit for its vitamin benefits but i tend to eat more veg because fruit does contain more sugars. keep a bag of carrots in the fridge or celery or make a big batch of veg soup xx

Good advice and don't panic about short term weight fluctuations - only water weight moves that fast. Try to to take a longer term view and eat sustainably.
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is a little bit complex, as usual ...

1. If you consider Kcal deficit: fruit is good: it is low cal
    2. If you consider Burning Fat and metabolism: if you eat too much fruit = sugar overload = more fat.

The only way (easy doable): 3 fruits/daily - or anyway don't overeat fruit "because it is healthy" - and you'll do it right! (and you'll eat your vitamins+antioxidants as well).

addendum: if you are on a kcal deficit, choose 100 kcals from fruit rather than from cookies: nutrients MATTER more than numbers. Plain and simple.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you want, cut your calories by 20% for 4 days and you'll be good.

Honestly, just get back on your orginal plan and don't worry about it. This is cliche, but it's not how many times you have been knocked down, but how many times you get back up. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. The only thing stopping people are self imposed deadlines.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
    It is a little bit complex, as usual ...

1. If you consider Kcal deficit: fruit is good: it is low cal
    2. If you consider Burning Fat and metabolism: if you eat too much fruit = sugar overload = more fat.

The only way (easy doable): 3 fruits/daily - or anyway don't overeat fruit "because it is healthy" - and you'll do it right! (and you'll eat your vitamins+antioxidants as well).

addendum: if you are on a kcal deficit, choose 100 kcals from fruit rather than from cookies: nutrients MATTER more than numbers. Plain and simple.

Yeah, but you can't gain fat eating in a deficit. You can't create something out of nothing. So if you are eating at a deficit, you could eat a diet entirely of fruits and not gain fat. Of course nutrients are important, but getting caught up in worrying about cutting sugar out is silly, especially since fruit provides you with a ton of nutrients.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of carbs, protein and fats, not just fruit
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of carbs, protein and fats, not just fruit

This is true, OP needs to hit her macronutrients and not get caught up in one bad day.
  • tht_darncat
    Options
    I eat slot of grapes your think that's bad there my sugar fix
  • junekath36
    junekath36 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I thought carrots were one of the worst for sugar content, that is why I stopped eating them so much. Perhaps celery sticks are better than carrots. Been on fitness pal for 14 weeks and lost 20lb and I am 78, so I am more than pleased.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Spending days all on fruit is gona cause you all sorts of health problems as you slack in the other nutrients. Its also asking for elevated sugar levels.

2-3 servings per day along with a healthy diet.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    First of all… I doubt you actually "gained" 2 pounds in 3 days. Likely it's water weight. Just get back on track and it'll come back off really quick.

If you really are thinking you overshot your calories by that much and it's a genuine 2 pounds… I would still suggest just getting back on track. No reason to limit yourself to just fruit.

Weight loss comes from calorie deficit. It doesn't matter whether it's coming from fruit or a variety of foods. I'm guessing you'll feel better if you eat a variety of foods than if you just eat fruit.

But there is NOTHING wrong with fruit. Low in calories and high in nutrients. Fruit is good for you! Fruit is considered a complex carb. And does not mess with the blood sugar like simple carbs will. To compare the sugar in fruit with the sugar in say a twinkie… is absolutely ridiculous. Fruit can absolutely be PART of healthy diet and it SHOULD be… whether your goal is to lose weight, maintain your weight, or gain weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is like the Rasputin of threads.

I love my fruit. :)