The body AFTER starvation mode?

Options
2»

Replies

• domdoan
    Options
    Make sure you accurately estimate your BMR.
    Reduce your carb grams to 80g or less.
    Increase your protein grams. (with fish and chicken)
    Increase your intensity during cardio and weight training.
    Custom intervals is the way to go. (4 mins. walking/ 4 mins sprinting for atleast 30mins) (keep Heart beat at (180-age)*.75)
    Do cardio 4 times a week.
    Do Weight training 6 times a week.

you will notice a difference fast
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    nothing is happening because there is NO SUCH THING as starvation mode

But there is such a thing as slowing down your metabolism by starving yourself, which makes it easier to gain weight on small amounts of food. That is what I assume people mean by "starvation mode". There just isn't a starvation mode the way most dieters seem to think it works, where you magically don't lose weight because you didn't eat enough.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    When I was very big I was definitely in starvation mode to lose weight from 283 lbs I started eating 800 cals per day. That was last year. This year I an 172lbs and eat an average of 2600 cals/day and burn an average of 1000 cals/day with exercise. You have not damaged your metabolism for life, I am a 5'4 32 year old female if you were wondering. You need to workout though to get it back up there and gain more muscle mass. You probably lost a lot of muscle mass while in starvation mode and gaining that muscle mass back will definitely help get your metabolism back up..

So, don't threat and go to the gym.

My exercise routine is as follows:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
    I lift one body part group each day 30 to 40 min long repetition, few intervals.
    30 min treadmill, 45 min stationary bike, 25 min calisthenics and stretching.
    If I can convince my sweetie we play tennis for 30 min after dinner

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    30 min treadmill, 60 min stationary bike, 25 min calisthenics and stretching.
    I come back to the gym in the evenings for 60 Zumba on Tuesday, Thursday and 60 kickboxing on Saturdays.

Sunday:
    Window shopping 2 hrs, tennis as long as my sweetie can go :)

I eat an average of 2600 cals/day 30% protein, 35% fat, 35% carbs.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    The reason I say I was in starvation mode is my hair was falling out and my face had a greenish tint to it and I stopped losing weight even though I only ate 800 cals/day @ 283lbs. I had to add exercise or no weight loss.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    And when you start to exercise, it is normal to gain a few lbs. It is just water weight that will go a way, so don't get frustrated because after 2 or 3 days of exercise you gained 2 lbs. It is normal so just keep going.
  • lilymarlene100
    Options
    I'm not sure what ratio your carbs/protein/fats is....but Carbs40%:Fats30%:Protein30% (of calorific value) is a good ratio for maintaining your metabolism at peak condition. Low fat screws it up.
    Also exercise can stress the body.....and too much stress can send the body into starvation mode however much you are eating.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I found this on WW. Very interesting.

The Starvation Myth
    The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.
    Article By: The Weight Watchers Research Department
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.
    It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss
    The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.

Weight Watchers Approach
    The <PointsPlus system is designed to provide a caloric intake that supports a healthy rate of weight loss, produces a minimal reduction in metabolism and avoids inducing too-high levels of dietary restraint.

This content is reviewed regularly. Last updated December 17, 2011.

What she said.
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your body composition analyzed? You might be doing better than you think even though the scale isn't moving.
    You may have a good ability to build muscle. Have you lost any weight at all in the time you've been trying? Keep going. You're doing great with your workouts. The body can take quite a bit of punishment, but it seeks to reestablish itself over time once you start treating it right.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    So, I've been out of starvation mode for approximately 3-4 months. I came out by eating tons of protein and exercising. Now that I'm back on my healthy eating & exercising regimen, absolutely NOTHING is happening. It seems like I gain weight from dieting and exercising. I don't eat or drink anything without logging it in here. I power walk for at least an 60 every day and strength train 3 days of the week. Does this have to do with being in starvation mode? I've put my body through all kinds of crap diets in the past... Have I permenanlty screwed up my metabolism? I drink water, but I know I can drink more. And I'll be honest, I could eat more fruits and vegetables, but I don't really have access to buy healthy food in my house. Am I going be stuck like this for the rest of my life? D:

I'm not sure what you mean by starvation mode, since you don't mention how much you were eating before.

I do know I had slowed down my metabolism for a while, to the point that I would gain weight eating 1200 calories a day. I started eating more and put up with the weight gain, it stopped after about 20 lbs and I maintained that weight for about a year. Now I'm able to eat a lot more food without gaining weight and I'm also able to lose weight without having to drop my calories insanely low.
  • Olisellana
    Options
    My daily caloric intake varies, but I usually try to go for 1400 net calories. Protein: 65g Fat: 56g Carbs:235g

Of course, this all varies when I exercise..

you say that your taking in 56g of fat right now. Are you taking in good fat is the question. You need to maybe allow the calories but reduce the fat intake. Also what about your sugar level? Even through healthy foods your going to take in some sugar. But if you
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Custom intervals is the way to go. (4 mins. walking/ 4 mins sprinting for atleast 30mins) (keep Heart beat at (180-age)*.75)
    Do cardio 4 times a week.
    Do Weight training 6 times a week.
    This can't possibly be correct!

4 minute sprints with a HR that low? For someone my age that's 103BPM while sprinting? I wish I was that fit!
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? It's highly possible that you've lost muscle mass in the past due to insufficient calorie intake and with your current exercise regime your body may be rebuilding. If you're getting toned up but the scale doesn't move, that's the explanation.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My daily caloric intake varies, but I usually try to go for 1400 net calories. Protein: 65g Fat: 56g Carbs:235g

Of course, this all varies when I exercise..

you say that your taking in 56g of fat right now. Are you taking in good fat is the question. You need to maybe allow the calories but reduce the fat intake. Also what about your sugar level? Even through healthy foods your going to take in some sugar. But if you

Sugar itself does not make you fat.
    Eating more calories than you expend makes you fat.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Sugar itself does not make you fat.
    Eating more calories than you expend makes you fat.

Not necessarily. If you are insulin resistant, your body can be releasing way too much insulin to process the sugar in your system. Too much insulin makes your body hold onto and create fat easier.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Ditto. Unless you're truly starving, as is the case with some anorexic people, and those who live in famine regions, like the Sudan.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Ditto. Unless you're truly starving, as is the case with some anorexic people, and those who live in famine regions, like the Sudan.

OK, yeah, we get it. But there is truth in the fact that your metabolism can be lowered by eating too low of calories over a long period of time and, thus, it might need work to get it repaired so it burns hotter.

The OP lost a significant amount of weight on a very low calorie diet and, thus, has definitely also lost more lean body mass than she would have if she had been losing on a higher calorie level combined with good nutrition at adequate calorie levels. These can definitely combine to have given her a sluggish metabolism. And that's why I suggest she read the link I previously posted giving her tips on the types of exercises that will better stoke her metabolism to burn hotter.
  • theMacOfGoals
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips!

I actually think I was overreacting.

1. I do cardio 6 times a week, strength training 3 times a week, and stretch every day. So no, there is nothing wrong with my exericse regimen. I power walk, I bike, and most importantly I dance, so it's not the same monotonous thing every day.

2. My NET calories are around 1400. Meaning after I calories AFTER I exercise; meaning I eat anywhere from 1600-2,000 calories a day, depending on exercise. No, I'm not underestimating my calories -____-

3. I'm very aware of good carbs, good fat, low sugar, etc... Just cause I don't have access to fruits and vegetables ALL the time, doesn't mean I'm trying to lose weight only counting calories off unhealthy foods.

4. Yes, I have measured myself and lost 3 inches around my waist (which leads me to believe I was overreacting)

5. Thank you everyone for your help and tips :D Good conversation here... Some of you guys need to relax a little though... It's just weight loss.