Tips for damage control between Christmas and New Years Day

Options
I have been on mfp 185 days now and have lost an average of 2 kgs a month since I started.

Except for December that is.

Although I am fitter now more than ever, a few too many Christmas parties (and birthday parties) mean that I have been treading water weight wise. I have actually gained (a little) this month, however all in all I guess I have not done too badly.

Three things have saved me:
1. I have tried to keep up some exercise (particularly over the weekend)
2. I have kept logging. Even when I am bad.
3. Some good mfp friends have kept me on my toes!

I know that January will be my turn around month, but I am keen to make sure that I don't totally lose control between Christmas and New Year's day. If December has been a hard month, I am predicting that the period between Christmas and NYD will be even harder.

So.... I would love to hear from all of you. What tips do you have to ensure that we don't totally blow it between Christmas and NYD.

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    portion control :tongue:

eat whatever you like but control how much of it you put on your plate, we are not being punished by being healthy you know :smile:
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have tried to limit the days I drink alcohol to just 2 or 3 days a week. That way the sneeky 'oh it doesnt matter' drinks dot sneek in.

I also try to be as good as I can for as long as I can - so I start the day with a good healthy breakfast, try and get some exercise in and limit damage control for as long as I can.

I try to stear clear of the desert tray/buffet. But thats because I know I'd rather spend the calories on alcohol than cake...!! Its one or the other I say!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I try to stear clear of the desert tray/buffet. But thats because I know I'd rather spend the calories on alcohol than cake...!! Its one or the other I say!

LOVE IT :laugh:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    1. Fly on plane.

2. Get sick from someone's bubonic plague-like hacking cough.

3. Lose appetite.

Yep, bout sums up the start of my holiday week.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Exercise!!!! And when I want to eat something completely BAD I find someone to share it with...or try to eat only half. In some cases though even half is still too much...
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    When I was working hard at losing weight, someone told me to remember 2 things. I still think back to it often.

1] The holidays has nothing to do with the food on your plate, or the alcohol in your glass. It has everything to do with the people at your table. Enjoy the people, and keep the plate healthy and you should be ok.

2} Exercise is a dieter's best friend. If you over-indulge you can always lessen the damage with a hard work out session. Make sure you leave time for a good workout.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Staying active, drinking a lot of water, minimizing alcohol intake, and enjoying (even small portions) every last taste and smell (I think staying in the moment helps).
  • I limit myself to 1 party per week so I only splurge one day a week instead of several. I also load my plate with extra good stuff (fruits, veggies, lean meat, etc) - I eat that first so I fill up on the good and still have a little room leftover for the bad.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips... I WILL be logging faithfully.. I'm working on holding myself accountable. I'd like to also add that I find my mind less preoccupied with food if I stay busy and keep my mind on something else. :)

Happy Holidays!
  • maysflower
    Options
    Be conscience of what you are putting in your mouth. Weather it be food or drink, think about what you are eating/drinking. Don't go for seconds, and listen to your body. That dessert might look amazing, but are you actually hungry for it?

Keep to your regular eating and exercising routine on the days you are not at parties, etc. Also when you know you are going to be eating a lot, try to fit in a workout that day. Or go for a walk after the meal is finished. It will help you to feel better, and maybe even shed a few calories.

The main thing is to enjoy the holidays. Enjoy being with your family and friends. Enjoy the company and activities, don't make the holidays about food. Good luck and have a very Merry Christmas :)
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm just sticking to my calorie goal on the days that I can and hoping not to gain weight. I don't care if I don't lose this month, I just don't want to gain. I'm not anticipating more than 5 or 6 days of not sticking to my goal between now and January so if I stick to it the rest of the time I'm hoping I'll be able to maintain my current weight. (:
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

Agree with comments from a few of you to the effect that holidays are not just about the food but the good company/people around! Well worth remembering!

I also like Brookepenni's advice: choosing what you like more and avoiding the other - problem is: I like my alcohol AND sweets :(

I've reflected on this for a while and I think that for me personally, I am going to have to consciously avoid going back for seconds!

I'm also going to savour what I eat, in the knowledge that I'm going to kick my back side come January!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    At parties and get-togethers, I've been choosing one or two things from the array of food that I really want, then everything else on my plate is the low-calories fillers (fruits, veggies, low-fat dip, and lean meat, generally). I think the main thing keeping me motivated and that will keep me from indulging between Christmas and New Years is that I set a weight loss goal for the New Year and I'm determined to keep it. I know come January 1st, I can either feel guilty because I've indulged like crazy, or I can feel ecstatic because I've reached my goal, so I'm choosing the second. I am giving myself a little leniency on Christmas and New Years' but I completely intend to still have a deficit that day.