Yoga - when will I be fit enough to try it?

Options
I am currently 277 lbs (5'4") and have a torn acl in one knee and torn meniscus in both. These injuries are 2 1/2 - 3 years old, but never repaired due to no insurance.

I would like to try yoga in the near future... I'm thinking maybe when I'm around 250??? Will I still be too big to do too many of the poses? The flexibility in my knees is much better, but I can not do anything weight bearing (certainly can not get down on my knees without extreme pain), so I am positive I will not be able to do any poses that require me to be on my knees at any weight. So, that said, will it just be a waste of time to even consider yoga? I also have lower back pain from an auto accident, and I thought yoga would help with my flexibility and pain, as well as sleep, self-discipline, etc. Please advise!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    today.

If you message me where you live, I bet I could find a class for you. My fellow teacher Abby makes videos if you are uncomfortable going to a class:

http://www.heartfeltyoga.com/heavyweight_yoga.htm
  • tsuki_ryuu
    tsuki_ryuu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'd say try it now. You just have to take it easy and do what you can. Keep at it and it will get easier.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    As soon as you want!! The main thing with yoga is thatit is gentle and progressive! You never strain or do too much and you will start to see results!
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am currently 277 lbs (5'4") and have a torn acl in one knee and torn meniscus in both. These injuries are 2 1/2 - 3 years old, but never repaired due to no insurance.

I would like to try yoga in the near future... I'm thinking maybe when I'm around 250??? Will I still be too big to do too many of the poses? The flexibility in my knees is much better, but I can not do anything weight bearing (certainly can not get down on my knees without extreme pain), so I am positive I will not be able to do any poses that require me to be on my knees at any weight. So, that said, will it just be a waste of time to even consider yoga? I also have lower back pain from an auto accident, and I thought yoga would help with my flexibility and pain, as well as sleep, self-discipline, etc. Please advise!

Have you tried any of the poses at home first to see how it feels? it's going to be uncomfortable but it shouldn't hurt. I don't think your weight will hinder your performance as much as you think. I have a 350 pound 60 year old man in my yoga class, although you are right he can not do all of the poses such as Bird of Paradise however, he does most of them. I think you'll do great! With your knee injuries have you tried a spin class, it's low impact and you go as hard/fast as you want / need to. I don't have a hip socket on my left hip so it's essentially bone to bone grinding constantly since the cartilage has pretty much been worn away by now. I rarely run because of the pounding motion, but spin class helps a lot. I also have sciatic nerve damage due to a snow boarding accident that resulted in a broken sacrum and L5, right hip fractures and a crushed coccyx (tail bone). It definitely hurts, all the time, but learning to breathe properly from yoga and learning to channel the pain out of my body really helps. And of course pain killers. But yoga helped more than I thought it would for sure. Spin will irritate my lower back where the sciatic nerve damage radiates, if i hunch over too long so i have to ride with my handle bars higher than most.

Also, if you are still nervous about what exercises to perform with your injuries, go to your gym and talk to a PT or instructor. They will also be able to advise you on what exercises you should/ shouldnt, can /cant do. They're no doctor but i can bet almost every PT has worked with someone with your type of injuries before.

Good luck.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've similar knee injuries. One I'm dealing with right now where I can't bear weight on it or fully extend it. I know exercise is going to be an issue for me because I can't get my knee repaired due to my weight. But I also know that they are putting out yoga and pilates videos for plus size or larger women these days. In these videos, they'll start you off with modified poses and the like that take into account a larger body size. This could be a good way to start while you're waiting to do a regular yoga class. I used to do a yoga version for bigger women that was on VHS (I'm dating myself here), and I still felt the same effects that I hear other people feel when taking yoga. I felt better in general, had a better outlook on life, walked taller, was more flexible, and started choosing healthier foods without even thinking about it.

I need to look into this again. Thanks for reminding me! :}
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    try bikram yoga. google. it. helps with pain a lot!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    There is yoga for all levels so your size shouldn't matter. Be careful with your injuries though, but the real focus in yoga is getting in tune with your body so you should just push to your limit and no further. Yoga is one of my favorite workouts because it's very refreshing and calming but the next day your muscles are sore like you had an incredible workout! Check out some beginner classes with an instructor first so you can learn how to work with your injuries and then once you feel comfortable you could probably check out some dvds. If you have netflix one of my beginner favorites is by the "crunch" workouts and it's called candlelight yoga. It's very informative about the poses and how your body and breathing should feel during yoga and it's not super strenuous. I have also found specific routines for people with different types of injuries (neck, back, knee) and they provide modifications to make it easier on your body. Good luck!

P.S. I had foot injury last year and lost all my extra weight JUST doing yoga and eating right.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I am larger than you and do yoga one or two times a week. It is an activity that can be adjusted to your own comfort level, and as with anything, you just improve with time. I really enjoy it, and hopefully you will too!

Good luck!
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    try bikram yoga. google. it. helps with pain a lot!

Haha! Thanks, but no thanks! I can't even enter a sauna! My brother does Bikram yoga and I think he's nuts! Besides, I get migraines from heat and sun.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Find a good instructor. A good yoga instructor will be able to help you adjust and modify poses and work into more difficult poses gradually so that you do not stress yourself.

Yoga is very beneficial. You are not too injured or too unfit to try it. That said, you might not be doing the type of yoga you imagine. I've been practicing off and on for about 5 years. I can't do a headstand or handstand, but I still love yoga.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Demwietted is right- you can certainly start at any time but finding the right yogi will be critical for you as he/she can guide you through the modifications necessary. I would suggest taking the time to find a well trained yogi who has completed all the required training hours to truly be called a yogi- rather than just an aerobics instructor that is teaching a stretching class and calling it yoga at a local gym or community center. As a professional aerobics instructor myself, I can tell you it makes a world of difference. Best of luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Finding the right instructor is key! I do pilates and they also offer yoga classes. The instructor is fantastic and modifies movements for all abilities, whether weight or injury is the limiting factor. The classes range from 20 year olds to senior citizens (no kidding), from the super fit to the overweight. I agree with others to look for a well qualified instructor, not a glorified aerobics instructor.