WHats your favorite "easy" amd portable protein?

Options
I am not getting enough protein-and need to up that- with things that can be eaten on the go and w limited prep. I have been trying to find things- and so far low fat string cheese from whole foods seems to be an easy one.. but need more.

Thanks

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :(

I recently bought a protein shake powder that's not bad.. good for making smoothies with!

almonds/other nuts are good protein as well. & I've heard quinoa actually has a fair amount of protein, though I haven't tried it yet.

another trick I did for a while was to just have stuff on hand (baked chicken breasts, etc) frozen in the freezer. by overnight it can thaw in the fridge so I can just take it with me and heat it up or mix it with other stuff for a quick meal.

good luck !
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. In my opinion, not the tastiest thing on the planet, but they are protein-packed!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I am not getting enough protein-and need to up that- with things that can be eaten on the go and w limited prep. I have been trying to find things- and so far low fat string cheese from whole foods seems to be an easy one.. but need more.

Thanks

Look into a protein powder. Trutein Cinnabun is wonderful tasting, Myofusion Chocolate Peantbutter is good, XF Cinnabun is a sweet tasting great powder as well. All are high in protein and low on carbs. Trutein is hands down my favorite.
  • toddtawnya
    toddtawnya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Simple, preportioned,healthy fat. In a pinch I will eat a Pure Fit nutrition bar. But I am not a huge fan of protein bars. My new favorite really lowfat snack is a cut up tomato with salt and a breakstones 2% cottage cheese single serving.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great source of protein- just be careful which brand you choose. Keep an eye on sugar and calories. Also, tuna is a super easy food to keep on hand. It's cheap, stores well and is a great source of protein. I get the pouches- add a hardboiled egg and you're really set!

I also agree with hard boiled eggs, string cheese, almonds and chicken.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Protein bars.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's beef jerkey. I keep it in my desk for my 4 pm pre-gym protein snack. Lowest sodium beef jerkey that I've found, so far (and it tastes good).
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    I have quite a few, protein drinks, protein bars, tuna fish, hard boiled eggs, low-fat string cheese.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled or pickled eggs....

But don't forget the toothbrush! Lol. Agreed, the smell and breath side effect is embarrassing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Almonds and peanut butter.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions- thanks !! I forgot about things like tuna and jerky and eggs... ;)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Almonds and peanut butter.
    ^^^Ditto and HB eggs!
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Shakes and Bars when I don't have time to prep a meal ahead.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's beef jerkey. I keep it in my desk for my 4 pm pre-gym protein snack. Lowest sodium beef jerkey that I've found, so far (and it tastes good).

Agreed except I go for the turkey jerky. it's my afternoon snack at work.
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great!
  • relledge
    Options
    Cottage Cheese!!! Tuna Fish is pretty portable makes a great lunch and is full of protein!
  • KatyD80
    KatyD80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Clif bars when you don't have time for anything else!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unsalted almonds.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This... I use Great Canadian Meat Company... I make sure I drink extra water mind you... just because beef jerky is high in sodium... but I always have a bit to munch on after a work out... that and my apple :D
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    You can mix protein powder into plain greek yogurt to really amp up the protein (and flavor) without adding a bunch of sugar. It will fill you up like crazy. I put half a scoop of protein powder in a 6oz cup of greek yogurt and it's like 30g of protein for under 200 calories.