Love Yourself! why so hard?

Options
Seeing stick skinny beautiful models on everything I see doesn't help but why is it so hard just to love ourselves? I feel like everytime I look in the mirror there are just negative thoughts running through my head of all the ways I could be better. My mother and friends are the same way. Why!? Being this way only depresses us and somehow we go to food as if it's going to fix everything. Crappy food won't do anything. It's time to take charge of our lives and realize how BEAUTIFUL and UNIQUE each and every one of us are. As hard as it is we need to fix those horrible thoughts that run through our mind when we look in the mirror and replace them with inspiring thoughtul words. Talk to yourself in the way you would talk to someone you love.

This seems to be a huge struggle for myself and i know it really affects my weight loss journey.

Replies

• Strobins05
    Options
    Beautifully stated. Love yourself enough to live a healthy and active life! It's how we plan our journey to a healthy lifestyle that reaps the great reward! I read this article in a magazine the other day that read" When you look in the meats, dairy and produce Isles you will find SKINNY PEOPLE". I laughed so hard, but I knew it was true as well. But I’m not skinny and I have choose to love myself and live a healthy lifestyle too. So I’m changing that theory that was made in the article as well. Happy shopping down the produce, meats and dairy Isles to a healthier lifestyle and to Loving Yourself!:flowerforyou:
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I can totally relate with this post - especially right now. Even after all that I have accomplished, I still do not love myself. I still see things that are not right ... what could be improved on ... what need to be changed. Why is it that we strive for perfection that never truly exists?? There will always be something we don't like ... it's like we are setting ourselves up for a fall, no matter the success we have.

Why is that so hard to accept??? LOL
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you diet correctly and eat the proper foods, youll see a huge difference in no time!
    I used to avoid full length mirrors!
    Now I cant stay away from them!

I think a lot of it has to do with genetics and how you were brought up.
    You said your family has self image issues?
    Thats where you get it from!.
    Do yourself a favor though and be sure to take as many pictures of yourself throughout your journey.
    You wont be sorry. You can go back and say "That was me? God i'm hotter now!"

If you need help with calories and macros let me know!
    Hugs!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't get anyone upset, but even in times of lower self esteem I have managed to love myself. I don't know how or why I am able to do this, but I can...which has really helped make this journey so much easier! Write down little things that you do love about yourself on little cards to keep in your wallet and pull them out when you are feeling low :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    IMO, it started in your childhoods somewhere. Growing up with a low esteem, whether because of you family or peers, is something that takes time to reverse. I grew up with a very healthy aspect of myself. My parents always gave praise when it was due and not just to do it. I don't recall them ever saying I wasn't good enough. I was told I was a skinny geek by my peers though and that motivated me to put on weight and muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bonnykate
    Options
    Preach it!!

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something. For me, I make my fitness goals be about achieving a HEALTHY and HAPPY lifestyle - that means I may not lose the weight very quickly, and I certainly can see it climb back up if I stop being conscious of what I eat, but at the end of the day, I'm not beating myself up just because I wear a size 14 instead of a 2. My "Size 14 Body" can kick some serious butt on the treadmill, lift super heavy boxes in the stockroom at work, and experience the deliciousness of my father's amazing cooking. That's a hell of a lot more beautiful of an existence than being a flat photoshopped image of a model in a magazine.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have a huge problem with this too. I've been trying to switch to more positive talk, especially when I'm working out. I have a love/ hate relationship with myself. I love what my body can do, frustrated with what it looks like. I think I especially feel this way because I feel that although I do take care of my body I feel it betrays me. In the past year my body has decided that I no longer need my uterus, ovaries, gall bladder, appendix, or gluten. Fun stuff. So although I feel that I eat realitively well (I have my moments yummy whoppers!), I exercise 3-5x's/ week, my body doesn't want to recipricate the care LOL
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Thoughts about this have actually come up a lot for me lately...

I was an athlete all my life, through college and beyond so I was ALWAYS in the gym. I always thought I had weird lines, sort of defined muscles with a layer of fat over them and hated it! I always wanted to be smaller and thought that would make me look better in clothes, etc.

I'm 25 now and got a job early this year where I had to travel a lot. I haven't worked out in forever, am eating food on the go - not always the healthiest - and lately I look in the mirror and think I look great! It's the weirdest thing. There's something really feminine about being softer and rounder.... but now I'm in a weird place because I wonder if I start working out again, if I'll STILL have this mindset. Is it something I grew out of? Trying to be picture perfect and thin? Is it that I haven't been working out so I don't look in the mirror and EXPECT to see amazing results? Or do I really just prefer a softer me, and how do I keep it AND work out??

So I guess I don't really have an answer yet.... but I know we should all love ourselves... and maybe if we remind ourselves of that fact everyday, we'll eventually get there.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think when we as women (people) begin to see who we are and what we look like as two separate entities, we will then be able to love our self, AND THEN accept what we want to change in our looks.

Our society is so obsessed with pounding it into our heads that our looks, what we look like on the outside, is the entirety of who we are as a human being. Remember when Susan Boyle auditioned to become a singer? EVERYONE in that audience LAUGHED at her because she didn't LOOK "beautiful". Our society doesn't care how talented or gifted a person is. If they are not "attractive", our society believes they cannot be good at anything else.

*I*, personally deal with a lot of "You don't look like a power lifter". The only place I earn ANY respect for my skills at all... is in the gym. Once I walk out of those doors (and this happens almost daily), instantly, there is someone to cut me down because I LOOK "unhealthy". They don't see the 225 pound bar I just dead lifted. All they see is a fat red head walking to the bus.

There is a difference between self image and body image. How you see and feel about your self, is where the loving your self comes in. When you feel love and compassion for yourself as a human being, then you can look at your body objectively. THEN you can look in the mirror and say "I would like to change this or that", but without hating who you are as a person simply because your body isn't at your own desirable state.
  • SherriH69
    Options
    I'm 42 years old with a good paying job, wonderful husband, great kids and grandkids, wonderful friends and I *STILL* have low self esteem. Why? I have no idea. I've never been a size 2 and I've never been a beauty queen. I'm happy for the most part but I still don't see myself as beautiful on the outside. At this point, I don't think I ever will.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Who said stick-skinny models are beautiful?
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    loving yourself is the first thing we must focus on.. :heart: