Couch to 5K

Options
Today I began day one of Couch to 5K. I had been hearing really good things about it, i am not a runner nor have i ever been i actually kind of hate it but i was plesantly surprised i love how it tells me when to start running and when to stop. I am pretty out of shape than i used to be a few years ago and was kinda sad that i couldnt get through all of day 1 i only made it to the 4th interval made me feel a lil ****ty but then the song One Step at a Time by Jordin Sparks came on and well i really do gotta take it one day at a time. Any tips for the successful completion of this program?

Replies

• PeculiarButterflyy
    Options
    Hi! I actually plan to start (again) the Couch to 5K program today!

Like you, I am and never was a runner. I joined my local Road Runners club because they had a 5K program. Health and life issues prevented me from continuing on. But I didn't want to give up - so I'm going to start the C25K program today.

I'd done it before -- didn't get through the whole thing -- but I have a tip as I did at least get through half: don't get discouraged. Just because it gives you how many weeks one can complete it in, doesn't mean that everyone does. Work at your own place. I would advise that you keep doing that Week 1/Workout 1 until you've got it down, then progress to the next. Repeat workouts or workout weeks based on your comfort. It won't hurt, but only help to build your endurance and strength!

I'm going to send you a friend request -- maybe we can work on this one together. I'll let you know if I make it through mine tonight. :)

I'm also doing it to prepare for another program that the same club has that starts in March -- the Beginning Women Runners program. I HATE running and find it very hard. So I think I need to prep and train to become a beginning runner -- again. LOL! Best of luck!
  • shantillylace81
    Options
    WOOOO HOOO AWESOME TIMING!!! IM STARTING TOMORROW! :)
    I quit last time for nooo good reason at all so wish me luck!
  • PeculiarButterflyy
    Options
    Best of luck! We can do this, ladies!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Great job getting started! I am not, nor do I consider myself now, a runner but I am finishing Week 8 today. Just commit to it that you won't make any excuses and know that you can repeat a week if you feel you need to. Build a killer playlist - unless you're using a podcast - that really motivates me through the long runs. Just like the OP, you can feel you're just done and then a killer song comes on and you can push through.

There's a great C25K support group here on MFP that I suggest joining because it's got lots of people at different stages of the program so you'll find help no matter your level. Good luck all!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good work starting it! I just finished it last week and I am notorious for losing interest in most programs. I liked this one though.

A good soundtrack is pretty key and you can pretty much turn your brain off and just do what the voice tells you to do. Don't look at the time.. just run or walk until they change it up.

Seriously.. if I could do it.. anyone can! And you'll feel so fantastic once you've completed! Good luck!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for 20 years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.~ John Bingham
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking at that program today. I know this sounds wussy, but I was wondering if I should wait until it gets warmer to start. Clarification: I don't have a treadmill nor do I have a gym membership.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    What do you use to do the Couch to 5K? I mean......I looked at the website and it gave a chart and info and stuff...but is that all there is to it..or is there a dvd? or a cd? or???????? What are you using? That may be a dumb question but I am confused so please forgive my stupidity if the answer is obvious and I"m just not seeing it!! Thank you in advance...
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i loved c25k, just stick to the schedule and stay consistent, i cannot believe i can run 40mins and more now
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it. And if you need to repeat a week, then repeat it. I am so not a runner and I hated running. The second week I did C25K I was wondering if that lady left for a coffee break and forgot to come back because it seemed like she had me running too long and I was going to die before she got back. I started it the first of October. I ran my first 5K, without stopping and a time of 39:39 on the 30th of October. I was quite impressed with it.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What do you use to do the Couch to 5K? I mean......I looked at the website and it gave a chart and info and stuff...but is that all there is to it..or is there a dvd? or a cd? or???????? What are you using? That may be a dumb question but I am confused so please forgive my stupidity if the answer is obvious and I"m just not seeing it!! Thank you in advance...

I use an app on my phone.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for 20 years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.~ John Bingham

This.
    Also, my marathoner friend suggested just jogging(slow running) with short steps placing your feet down softly during the running intervals in the beginning. This will reduce shin splints and allow you to complete the workout. Over time, you will find your speed naturally increasing. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes, too. I never thought I could run at over 200 lbs until couch to 5k and now I can easily jog 30 minutes. Best of luck to you, you can do it!
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my android phone that tells what to do and how long to do it...you can also print out the schedule and use a timmer.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

I actually do mine on a treadmill so I just printed out the schedule from the website and put it up in front of me and switch the speeds on the treadmill according to the schedule. There is an app for your smartphone that will give you audio cues of when to run and when to walk as well - which is nice if you're doing it outside. I just needed to build up my endurance so have stuck with the treadmill until I graduate and then I'll start outside.
  • Acatlett77
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking at that program today. I know this sounds wussy, but I was wondering if I should wait until it gets warmer to start. Clarification: I don't have a treadmill nor do I have a gym membership.

I'm the same way! I just can't get out in this cold!
  • Acatlett77
    Options
    I tried C25K before but had to quit due to knee injury. I want to do it again as now I can jog for 1/2 mile (very slowly). I will be waiting until the weather is warmer cause I can only do it at our local park. Good luck to everyone!
  • OregonCountryGirl
    Options
    No stupid questions.......... I downloaded it to my droid so I can be told what to do! ha ha I finished the whole program in the nine weeks and I am way over weight still but feel AWESOME!!!! I am not a runner either but I am now. I finished it and then started back at week 4 and now I just do anything over that 3 to 6 days a week! I started on the treadmill and then started running outside. I think you can do it anyway that you want as long as you are moving!!!!

Great Job and Keep up the GREAT work!!!
  • OregonCountryGirl
    Options
    I started by jogging around my house chasing my daughters and then walk chasing them!!! They loved it and at least I was moving!!!! If you have room you could check craigslist for a cheaper treadmill?? Just a thought and Good Luck!!!
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I really don't have room for a treadmill. I think I'm just going to wait until spring.
  • loseramy68
    Options
    Good for you for starting the program! My advice is go jog slowly. Just concentrate on finishing each interval. It's not a race and speed will come if you just keep after it. And don't be afraid to repeat a week if you find it was too difficult. If it gives you hope, I started Cto5k when I was 75 pounds over weight and 43 years old. I have never been a runner. I finished the program (I wasn't breaking any speed records, but I finished). I was able to jog a 5k less then 4 months later. That 5k was not easy, but I finished. So, just keep after it. You can do it!