Is walking enough cardio---if.....

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    correction... I guess she bought it when USDA said tomato sauce is a vegetable!!!

Um, tomato sauce is a vegetable. Technically I suppose it's fruit sauce, but I think you were refering to the USDA's request to Congress to NOT count the tiny bit of tomato sauce on a slice of pizza as a serving of vegetables. It was Congress that refused to change that rule though, not the USDA.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Wow... how do people do 15min/mile walking?

I'm 5'10". My legs are on the shorter side for my height but not THAT short. Yet, as fast as I can walk without breaking into an outright jog is about 3.4 mph. No way I can get to 4 mph without jogging.

How do you do it?

you cant walk at 15 mph....that poster either made a typo or is just blabbering

Yes you can. 15 minute mile is 4.0 on the treadmill for me and I can walk it. I am only 5'2. I'm in decent shape. If I can walk it I'm sure others can too. That's my max though - anything faster I have to jog. The 15 mph must be a typo - I think they meant 15 minute mile as the rest of the post indicates - which is 4 miles per hour
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I'm 5'10". My legs are on the shorter side for my height but not THAT short. Yet, as fast as I can walk without breaking into an outright jog is about 3.4 mph. No way I can get to 4 mph without jogging.

How do you do it?

you cant walk at 15 mph....that poster either made a typo or is just blabbering

Yes you can. 15 minute mile is 4.0 on the treadmill for me and I can walk it. I am only 5'2. I'm in decent shape. If I can walk it I'm sure others can too. That's my max though - anything faster I have to jog. The 15 mph must be a typo - I think they meant 15 minute mile as the rest of the post indicates - which is 4 miles per hour

uh...thats what I said...you cant walk 15 mph (miles per hour) ....can you walk 4 miles per hour? sure
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

How do you do it?

I'm 5'5" and can walk 4.3 miles per hour on a treadmill. I really had to work up to this speed, this was not a natural thing for me at all. When walking outdoors - I find that fast paced music helps a lot. A website www.jogfm.com helps you find fast paced music.

For another poster ...... 15 minutes per mile IS equal to 4 MPH (60 minutes divided by 4 = 15 minutes .....thus 4 miles per hour).
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    uh...thats what I said...you cant walk 15 mph (miles per hour) ....can you walk 4 miles per hour? sure

Sorry - had dislexia for a minute or actually just thought u said 15 min mile cuz that's what the other person said, not 15mph. oops.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    not really a typo.. did not think it was too unclear really.

under 15 minute miles = mile walked under 15 minutes

but no.. i dont know how anyone got 15 mph out of that, but there you go.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    correction... I guess she bought it when USDA said tomato sauce is a vegetable!!!

Um, tomato sauce is a vegetable. Technically I suppose it's fruit sauce, but I think you were refering to the USDA's request to Congress to NOT count the tiny bit of tomato sauce on a slice of pizza as a serving of vegetables. It was Congress that refused to change that rule though, not the USDA.

USDA said that that pitiful amount of sauce counts as a veggie YEARS ago and just recently tried to back pedal...they set the standard and now they're stuck with it. Congress buckled under to the frozen food lobby and the children get low qualtiy lunch because of it!
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didnt really think it that hard to walk 4 mph--- im definately not jogging, but im using GPS tracking to gauge this.. so.. hell i dunno.. could be way off.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    When I walk, my heart rate gets up to about 70-75% and yes; that's sufficient!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Walk Faster Than the Grim Reaper

Older men can walk faster than the Grim Reaper if they move at speeds of 3 miles per hour or faster, say researchers from Concord Hospital in Australia. Researchers studied walking patterns of 1,705 men who were 70 or older. Men with walking speeds of 3 miles per hour or higher lived while 266 men who walked more slowly died. The researchers succeeded in learning more about the mysterious Grim Reaper, a literary and mythological creation that represents death. Published in BMJ, the study concluded that the Grim Reaper usually walks 1.8 miles per hour, and never faster than 3 miles per hour. Researchers said that the study findings support their theory of faster speeds being "protective against mortality because fast walkers can maintain a safe distance from the Grim Reaper."
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It's sure worked well for me. Walking is my main form of exercise, and was the only exercise I did while in weight loss mode. Over the course of 3 years my cholesterol levels, blood pressure and resting heart rate dropped along with my weight. When I started jogging last spring I was pleasantly surprised to find that my heart and lungs had more stamina than I ever could have guessed. My legs quit before I ran out of breath, LOL
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds walking only. I still continue to walk at a brisk pace 6 days a week, but after 50 pounds, I started adding in more exercise.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    oops...double post
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    My knees are a bit dodgey, running seems to hurt, as does treadmill.

Elliptical trainers seem to agree with me, so i use those at gyms when i can, but my question is, if i just do walking, at about a 4.0-4.3 mph clip for an hour, is this good enough to qualify as "good" cardio.

im for sure under 15 minute miles, my last walk i did 5.07 miles in 1 Hour and 6 mins... (I am throwing Strength training at the Gym as well like 2 days a week at minimum-- more when i can, but life gets hectic yaknow?)

You're doing well, just keep moving. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Calories burned through any exercise to cause a calorie deficit ALWAYS works. Some are more effective than others, but if you can't do them, then they won't be effective for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 mph daily (or a 15 minute mile if you will). My walking route in the morning is exactly one mile and it always takes me 15 minutes to complete. I am 5'7" with long legs and essentially power walk. This is no leisurely stroll, my heart rate is up up up! My dog and I do at least a mile at this pace every morning. My dog is a big beast at 70 pounds, so she is up for the challenge!