I need help...or just someone who can relate

Options

Replies

• Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you are not alone. i have binged on cookies and junk ALL DAY. i am drinking some water right now trying to shake it off. try and get it a workout and make healthy choices the rest of the day. we cAN do it!
  • SmallVoice
    Options
    In my opinion the first step was that you wrote about it. You recognize it and are not in denial (not completely anyway). Recognizing what you are doing is far more to your advantage than not noticing at all. At the base of some of our problems is that we have not identified WHY we need the comfort foods. I know that when I get bored, I eat. When I am unhappy, I eat. Um. . . Well, when I am happy I eat too. So for the rest of us, it is not food just for comfort so much as we enjoy those tastey treats far more than we should.
    I agree with everyone that says the key is to not have those foods around. However, those who do not live alone, like myself, might have others to consider and sometimes those others do NOT want to sacrifice the food THEY enjoy although they appear to want to assist you. It's okay.
    The individual who suggested you write how you feel the moment you feel that way instead of going to the food has a great suggestion. I am constantly overweight and am hopeful this is my final weight lost initiative (in that I want it to work and stay off). Thus. . . . most of us understand what you did today because we have had those moments. Just don't give up. Whether you have a bad day or a bad week (or in my case a bad month) NEVER give up. Know that there will come a time when your motivation will push you and you will succeed. So many wonerful people on here want to see you succeed. You are not alone.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I snack my @ss off sometimes, and it does feel terrible. I know it's dumb, and I often feel gross because the foods I ate weren't so good for me. But hey, that's life

If you are doing it for some emotional reason, you might want to get to the bottom of that. If it just happens because you're ravenous for whatever reason, I wouldn't stress it. Your body probably needed a little extra, and you just went overboard. Everyone does it.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate on this. When I was in college, I would hide in my dorm room or apartment room and just binge. I remember one day I had a big bag of trail mix, and almost ate the whole thing. And I felt the same way you are saying that you are feeling. Here's what has helped me.

1.) I live by the whole out of sight out of mind. If there are things around that I would binge on, I put them up in the pantry where I can't see them. If I don't see them, most likely I won't know they are there and won't be so likely to eat them.
    2.) Simply don't buy the items that you tend to binge on. If you are likely to binge on chips or cookies, don't buy them. Only have healthier options like different fruits and veggies to snack on. If you have a binge on those, it's not going to be as bad. When I started doing that, I didn't really binge.
    3.) Find something else to occupy yourself when you feel a binge coming on. Try going for a walk, brushing your teeth, calling a friend, painting your finger nails, etc.
    4.) Don't have a mind set that you are not allowed to have something you crave. The more you tell yourself that it is completely off limits, you will really want it and most likely eventually have it, but when you have it, you will probably go overboard with it. It's all about moderation.

I really hope this helps. I have totally been in the same boat before, and it's not fun. Please feel free to add me if you would like.
  • Redheadbkb
    Redheadbkb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There's actually a psychological concept called "disinhibition" that explains why people do what you do. I used to do it as well. It's something you have to practice NOT doing, in order to stop. There's no magic piece of advice.
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I just don't keep any junk food around the house anymore. I'm not someone that can just have a few chips -- I'll eat the whole bag if it's there. I also prelog all of my food for the day and this seems to help me.

This. Exactly.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    PLEASE - schedule a physical with your doctor and get checked for Insulin Resistance and/or pre-diabetes. I am IR, and carbs/sugar can mellow out my mood when I am anxious, agitated, etc., and holidays are an emotional time. Then when I have too many carbs/sugars, my sugar levels bounce, making me feel worse, then I look for something to boost how I feel and eat more of the wrong things.... It may be way more physical than you realize rather than will power related.

Pre-recording and metformin help tremendously.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you - bouts of secret eating and binging triggered by stress, boredom etc.

Sounds like you're brave enough to examine your habits and be brutally honest with yourself. If you really think you may have a binge eating *disorder* (i.e. if you feel like your patterns of eating really are abnormal compared to the majority of people), then the next step is to seek outside help.

A good therapist, (or better yet, a psychologist), will be able to fashion a course of cognitive behavioral therapy that might help you. Yep, they're expensive, but not as expensive as the health problems that can come attached to binge eating disorder.
  • rhawkins26
    Options
    Read Geneen Roth's "Women, Food and God". Seriously. Go to the bookstore, or go online, and get it. NOW. :smile:
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do the same every now and then, what I do is... workout that same night or the day after, and detox myself having loads of vegs nd healthy food, but right now I'm looking forward to my chinese delivery man to arrive!!:) noodles, capital spare ribs..seaweed... yumm.. and loads of exercise to feel somewhat better with myself before i go to bed!!
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I don't have time to read what everyone else says. But here is what I do when that bag of m&m's is just to irresistible. Instead of just eating the junk and not caring, eat a both good and bad food. So take a bite of m&m, and then have some veggies/fruit along with it. Make it a game. For every bite of bad food, next two bites that are good. Keep trying this game and try to extend the good bites. Eventually, you'll be full and it's time to stop regardless. So in the end maybe you ate more bad than you should have for this craving, but at least you ate allot of good stuff along with it vrs just totally bad food. Tomorrow, forget the m&m's and try to only work on good food if you can.
  • annalynne1983
    Options
    You are not alone. I do the exact same thing. The ONLY way I managed to lose weight was by completely overhauling my kitchen. I can resist in the supermarket, but right in front of me? No way. There are a few other people here who seem to do the same thing - bringing food you know you shouldn't eat into the kitchen makes it SO hard. The only advice I really have is to get the high calorie food out of your environment and try to visualise your goals - I found I had to get almost obsessed with losing weight and why I wanted to be healthy. The only other advice I'd have is sometimes you just have to write off a day and get stuck in to eating and exercising well for the rest of the week - also I eat when I'm bored so if you can, try to stay busy - this has the advantage of keeping you more active while distracting you from food. Also if you find you're eating when you're emotionally unstable (I do this too) and it's a real problem, you could try counselling if there are some underlying issues that are making you feel crappy. Best of luck!!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Once, I was driving around town running errands and out of the blue, I was craving a milkshake soooooooo badly. So I pulled out my MFP app on my iPhone and looked at what that would "cost" me calorie-wise. I saw the calories, went "oh my god!" (yes, out loud) and threw my phone down and realized it is NOT worth it.

Second, I think of calories like money. Can I afford it? Do I have to work to be able to afford something I want? How am I doing with my budget?

Lastly, find a catch phrase that resonates with you. Mine is "Stronger than Excuses". I repeat it to myself when I feel weak and it helps.
  • Mary2270
    Options
    I am a "recovered" binge eater. I went through many years binging, never purging. I would buy $40.00 worth of junk food and eat it in one evening. I had a tough time working through my reasons for binging. I went to an eating therapist that specializes in Binge eating. I explored the reasons behind it and dealt with them. I haven't binged now in about 9 months. I stay away from white starchy foods and sugar. Those two things trigger my binge episodes. I have also learned to vocalize how I am feeling and what I need. This was so difficult, but so worth it. I keep reminders around me at the office and at home. One of them is, "Just don't go there." another one is what do I need? I also have to remind myself to be responsible for my eating. I log everything that goes in my mouth. I don't mindlessly eat. I actually have a 9 week eating plan and am in week 8 of 9 and this has helped. I don't have to wonder what I am going to have for snacks and meals. My husband has even gotten used to looking at my meal plan and we very rarely go out any more. It is just easier that way. When I do go out to eat, I get on the website and see what they offer and how many calories I can have. Then I choose according to that.
  • relledge
    Options
    First take a deep breath!! Everyone has bad days!! I would say try to keep as little junk food in the house as possible. Also, don't completly starve yourself of the foods you enjoy eating...allow yourself to have an ice cream or whatever your favorite dessert is every once in a while. I feel like the more you starve your body of the foods you enjoy the worse a binge you will have. Remember you can do this just take one step at a time!!
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your support and tips! I take all your comments seriously and really appreciate how much encouragement all of you give. overeating/binging is not a new thing for me, but today I took a new step and I actually told my mom what I overate...(I used to not tell her anything I was too embarrassed..maybe log it in MFP or put "quick calories")

I have a new goal also to write whenever I feel a binge coming on. I am considering adding a cheat day but I don't know if that will lead to a cheat week. I will try not deprive myself of anything though. (thank you to all who mentioned those things)

Also I vowed to never buy Nutella myself. My mom was the one who bought it for my little brother who can eat whatever he wants

I think something that sets off my impulsive eating is jealousy. I need to work on that.
  • knurse1987
    knurse1987 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel...I dont buy junk food either and I dont keep it around the house. But today I went to a restaraunt with my cousin. I was planning on having a small salad and soup and I did, but this is my most favorite restaraunt and they have amazing spinach dip...So my problem for the day was that...But I will go run tonigh and start over tomorrow...Dont beat yourself up about it!
  • KariePerez
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I just don't keep any junk food around the house anymore. I'm not someone that can just have a few chips -- I'll eat the whole bag if it's there. I also prelog all of my food for the day and this seems to help me.

I totally agree with this quote. We people that do do what you are talking about are Addicted to Food. It hurts to say it and to some they may think it is a excuse. But it is not and the only way to not eat the things you are addicted to binging on is to NOT keep them around. We have to muster up every bit of will power we have while shopping and just say NO. And maybe years from now it might get easier to do but so far still really hard. If you ever need someone to talk to or need a friend I'm here. Good luck and Feel free to friend me cuz i KNOW it IS NOT easy!!
  • annalynne1983
    Options
    Gosh if you aren't in control of the food you have available, no wonder you're having some binging issues! It's so hard when it's right there! Don't beat yourself up - it's flipping hard not to overeat when it's there. Just write the day off and start again tomorrow. I find if I beat myself up too much I end up carrying on eating! It's like I'm fat and full of calories anyway what the heck... :-) Hang in there :-)
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have found that the more carbs I eat, the more I want and it turns into a never ending cycle for me.

Once I realized that I was hooks on cards, I tried to reduce my carb intake as much as possible. It took a lot to do it and I felt sick for a few days (probably no different than getting off some types of drugs or smoking) but after a few days I starting much better and in control of what I ate.

It is a life change and will be difficult but you can do it!

I completely agree with this - it's like an addiction - but once u start cutting down carbs you crave them less!