Motivation Tips

Options
Ok so I started MFP in February of this year and was on a good roll, had lost more than 30 pounds. I recently met a man and I am happier than I have ever been but unfortunately I have been slacking on the exercising, eating right and logging both. I just really need tips on how everyone stays motivated and if you have had the same situation how you got back on track. I really need to step it up and get back to what i was doing. I am lucky that my new guy wants to workout and change his lifestyle as well! Thanks!

Replies

• mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Do it together! Take turns planning healthy meals for each other, have exercise dates, and make him join MFP so you can be friends with him here. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Do it together! Take turns planning healthy meals for each other, have exercise dates, and make him join MFP so you can be friends with him here. :)

This, plus, if he's interested in the same thing then he should understand your need to do what you need to for yourself. If working out together isn't an option, then plan your time spent with him around your workouts.
  • schaacker
    schaacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    His support will be invaluable! I would have struggled so much more without the support of my husband. The process brought us so much closer and made us into such a good 'team' in this and everything else we do. We hit our goal weights together - 30lbs for him and 40lbs for me in about 7 months.

I kick-started our get healthy plan by reading the women's health diet book (which I totally recommend!) so that I actually knew how to make healthier choices. We started with a few simple changes and then got hooked on finding new meals and ways to cut calories. It's fun to cook together and to find new recipes or even invent our own.

We started working out together 3x a week on specific days so we were held accountable (I did 3 separately - it's harder for girls to lose weight, fyi! It can be frustrating). If I was weak and didn't want to do it, he would be strong and vice versa. Most of the time we would go to the gym together and then do our own workouts but sometimes we'd do the same workout so we were 'competing'. That was really fun actually! Outside of the gym we decided to be more active - on non workout days we would go for a walk around the block before dinner or go hiking on the weekends.

We have also been weighing in every Tuesday and charting our progress. It keeps us accountable and helps us see the progress we've made. There will be weeks you don't lose, but the chart helps you realize your on your way regardless. At a certain point I realized I was truly dedicated to loosing the weight and would continue for as long as I had to. For each 10 lbs or so we've rewarded ourselves with clothes or a nice celebratory dinner. He hit his goal a few weeks ago and I'm just about to hit mine. He lost 30 lbs and I'm at 40 lbs - I might go a bit further, we'll see!

This may sound silly, but we've also got into the show Biggest Looser. It is really motivating when you're on a weight-loss plan yourself.

Good luck!