First 5k training!

Options
I'm starting (well re-starting) my weight loss journey tomorrow as well as starting to train for a 5k (first 5k). I'm both nervous and soooo excited to have that accomplishment under my belt. Anyone have any tips???

Replies

• surgesilk
    Options
    Couch to 5K
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K today. Feel free to friend me. Best of luck to you.
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I suggest a Dog! I didnt really notice a change until I started walking my friends dog (Who never gets walked by anybody else) Because of her I can run 10km in under an hour.. at 190 lbs! Its the greatest personal trainer ever.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm thinkin of signing up for a 5k. I'm on week 3 of the Couch to 5k and love it. I downloaded the podcasts so I don't have worry about checking my watch for the time.
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Be patient and look forward to those hot runners legs..its AMAZING how fast it changes your body...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be exactly one year since I started C25K. It works. Really well. :smile:
  • jhnye85
    jhnye85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    good for you! i just completed my first 5k on 12/4/11 and let me tell you, it feels so awesome! i started exercising at the end of august and signed up for the 5k at the end of october. i was super nervous, but i think the main thing to focus on is your endurance. just start with a goal to complete 3.1 miles, then you can slowly try and reduce your time. come race day, you will blow your time out of the water. also if you're training on a treadmill, try and squeeze in some outdoor runs too so you know what to expect. good luck, and have fun!!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    C25k changed my life!
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm still trying to build the habit, but let me say I grew up anti-running, and I wish to god I'd have found running MUCH sooner!

WHYYYYY did I wait so long? LOVE IT!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K

Without a doubt. Do the c25k! www.coolrunning.com for the program details, my favorite podcast are from Suz www.kissmyblackass.org Also downloaded Chubby Jones and runningintoshape because I just started week 5 and its teen pop with Suz's. I appreciate her verbal cues and her hard work, but teen pop makes me want to throw my ipod into the street. ;) The rest of her music selection weeks though have been AWESOME!

I just registered for the 5k. I've done ones in the past, but only jogged/walked. My goal is to run this one completely. Get good shoes!!!!! Watch for injuries and hydrate and fuel your body!
  • JPsFunkyMojo
    Options
    A while back I did the C25K and I just picked it back up over the weekend. If you are not used to moving around (ie- exercise walking, running, etc) I would suggest making sure your legs are strong enough first. When I first started I was over 300lbs, and while I could leg press over 200, my legs were not strong enough to deal with the stress from jogging. That's why I had quit a few months ago and just worked on making sure my body could handle it. Also, make sure you properly stretch before hand. Your body will definately thank you afterwards.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Start slow! I started running on February 1 this year and have no completed 2 5K's, a Half Marathon, and am registered for 4 half marathons next year! Be patient and you'll do great!!!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Also its addicting!!!!! NEVER in a bazillion years would I have thought I would say that I enjoy this so much, but I do!!!!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Build slowly and follow a program (couch 2 5K?) You may also find success in taking a running clinic. Typically these run 2 or more days a week and provide you the information you need to be successful. They offer a scheduled class during which you learn about running, and go for runs in a group. The support in these groups is fantastic and has helped many people succeed (of course I am biased as I am also an Instructor for the Running Room here in Winnipeg)

Good Luck!
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k a week ago this past Saturday in 37.19 minutes. I did have to stop and walk a couple of times, but I made it all the way through and LOVED IT! I've been using the C25k program and just started week 5. I have my 2nd 5k this Wednesday. Next year I want to try a 10k and a half marathon. I never was a runner in my younger years but enjoy it immensely now. Good luck to you! :drinker: