Any one ever went to a TOPS Meeting?

Options
Take Off Pounds Sensibly? I am thinking of joining the group its 26.00 dollars for a years? Weekly weigh ins? Support groups? Sounds like a good Deal?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    sounds like a paid version of MFP.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend sitting in on a meeting before you join. I tried TOPS and ended up quitting after several months because it was just social hour for a bunch of old ladies. No one really cared whether or not you lost weight or if you kept losing and gaining the same pounds. It was actually very unmotivating for me.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I suggest attending two or three meetings before making a decision. Meetings vary greatly.
    The meetings I went to were in an old folks home; a pretty depressing setting and the patients wandered in some times, causing disruption and concern. The setting could have been overcome if the meetings themselves were more positive. The meetings centered more on members confessing their slips rather than sharing their victories or strategies for success.
    Please don't take my experience to be representative of all TOPS meetings. I've known people who had good results and encouragement there. Try to get a feel for the group attitude.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A co-worker has lost almost 100 lbs in just over a year with TOPS. She loves it....

I think it depends on who else is in the group.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This looks good for those who like that sort of thing.
    I get what I need here and more.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My mom has belonged for years. I was there for a while too when I was younger but it really is more of a social group there. No one in the core group is really doing great with weight loss they just talk about and do ok for a while and hang out together... I have only been on this site a few weeks and am doing better then I did there.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    so you don't like MFP?

If you're not happy here then by all means go try it, I personally have resolved to not pay cash for any more groups etc.

MFP is free, fantastic support, and a great way to record calorie intake and exercise.

Not quite sure why you even ask the question especially here...
    I read on another post.. something to the like of " it's like going into a Harley shop & asking what they think of Honda's" kinda strange.

good luck with your weight loss whatever you decide, the most important thing is to be healthy.
    If that club works for you then go for it.
    good luck.
  • Tjm288
    Tjm288 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be rude. I am trying to achieve a common goal....weight loss.... I would still use my mfp daily! I love it on here! I just feel like the more information about weight loss I can get is better! I just think having a group once a week might be informational and beneficial to me.
  • Tjm288
    Tjm288 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your information. I plan on attending a meeting to see. I think the more i commit to weight loss the harder it will be to give up!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I belonged to TOPS for a year...

...and gained 35 lbs.

But then, that's my experience. I was not really ready to lose weight, and the social dynamics of the group were just a little weird.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I lost 75lbs thru goin to the meetings. I was a member from June 2007 thru Sept. 2008. I stopped goin bc I started workin 3 jobs and was able to make it to the meetings.

BTW: I never gained any of my weight back and I got to meet alot of ppl and become friends with some of them. I had alot of fun and it was a great motivation winning prizes each week for losin the most weight.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be rude. I am trying to achieve a common goal....weight loss.... I would still use my mfp daily! I love it on here! I just feel like the more information about weight loss I can get is better! I just think having a group once a week might be informational and beneficial to me.

I agree - lots of people on here are doing different types of diet/fitness programs but still use MFP for their own personal needs. I think having a place where you weigh in weekly is a good motivator if you enjoy the group.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    so you don't like MFP?

If you're not happy here then by all means go try it, I personally have resolved to not pay cash for any more groups etc.

MFP is free, fantastic support, and a great way to record calorie intake and exercise.

I read on another post.. something to the like of " it's like going into a Harley shop & asking what they think of Honda's" kinda strange.

good luck with your weight loss whatever you decide, the most important thing is to be healthy.
    good luck.

How rude! :grumble:
  • georg1aaa
    Options
    We have something similar to that here called Slimming World, I have a friend of a friend who's gone who says it's the worst thing she's ever done. She says all the people there just have a gossip and no one cares about what you lose. She's lost a few pounds but gained them back, then lost them again, then gained them back. All in all very unmotivating apparently! I wouldn't recommend it from what I've heard. xx
  • KariePerez
    Options
    sounds like a paid version of MFP.

I couldn't have said it better!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My mom went for a while & said it was a joke. Said none of the women were really serious about losing weight cuz they would have a "healthy snack" after the meeting but it was really all crap!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Its good if you do better in a social atmosphere. I have to be my own motivation, but also this site is a real big help.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    so you don't like MFP?

good luck.

So what you're saying is if you're on MFP, no one can go anywhere else in any other form to get more encouragement and motivation.
    TJM288, if you want to try it, GO FOR IT! Just make sure you try a meeting before you sign up (that goes for anything!) Good luck!
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    I highly recommend sitting in on a meeting before you join. I tried TOPS and ended up quitting after several months because it was just social hour for a bunch of old ladies. No one really cared whether or not you lost weight or if you kept losing and gaining the same pounds. It was actually very unmotivating for me.

I went one time and it was EXACTLY the same. Even the old ladies. LOL
  • SheRa1964
    Options

That's a good idea. I really enjoy WW AND this forum. Soon I am quitting WW just because I'm unemployed and can no longer afford it but I love the support I get there and my teacher is a HOOT. Whatever it takes! Good luck I'd love to know how it goes!