MFP Runners Club MAY 8th

Options
Nich0le
Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
Gotta get up at the crack to get a nice run in. It is getting hot here and my choices are teh crack of dawn or after sunset or the dreadmill.

New to outside but I got 3 miles in.

3 more this afternoon on dreadmill with fan on full blast :laugh:

Have a good run everyone! :drinker:

Replies

• Nich0le
    Options
    Gotta get up at the crack to get a nice run in. It is getting hot here and my choices are teh crack of dawn or after sunset or the dreadmill.

New to outside but I got 3 miles in.

3 more this afternoon on dreadmill with fan on full blast :laugh:

Have a good run everyone! :drinker:
  • puppylove84
    puppylove84 Posts: 38
    Options
    did any "easy" 4 miles this morning (never thought I'd say that :bigsmile: )... trying to take it easy so I can attempt 12-14 miles on Sunday (normally I shoot for 8) - happy running everyone! :drinker:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Today was supposed to be my rest day because I'm doing a 5k tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm very easily swayed by peer pressure so I ended up doing a 2 mile run/power walk. I was really hurting...need to learn to say NO! Tomorrow will be 6th running day this week....very bad idea. Fortunately it is a really easy, flat course so I should make it. Followed up the 2 miles with 90 minutes of yoga and pilates.
    Just running tomorrow! (or so I say!:tongue: )
    Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Runners:flowerforyou:

I was scheduled for an easy paced 5K this morning. Unfortunately, I waited until 10 am to start. The heat was brutal.

I used to get up and run in the dark. Lately, I just can't do it. After this mornings heat, I'll definitely reconsider. It has been a whole hour and my skin is still hot to the touch.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    did any "easy" 4 miles this morning (never thought I'd say that :bigsmile: )... trying to take it easy so I can attempt 12-14 miles on Sunday (normally I shoot for 8) - happy running everyone! :drinker:

Have fun on your long run. I'll be out there too. I haven't decided how far I'll go yet.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Today was supposed to be my rest day because I'm doing a 5k tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm very easily swayed by peer pressure so I ended up doing a 2 mile run/power walk. I was really hurting...need to learn to say NO! Tomorrow will be 6th running day this week....very bad idea. Fortunately it is a really easy, flat course so I should make it. Followed up the 2 miles with 90 minutes of yoga and pilates.
    Just running tomorrow! (or so I say!:tongue: )
    Becky

Have fun at your 5K tomorrow Becky! I just love going to races.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies :flowerforyou:
    I ran 4 miles this morning, I felt pretty good afterwards. I have a question for you gals on these longer runs (i'm calling 5 miles and plus long, haha) do you focus more on your speed or your endurance? this morning, I just tried to do a nice 10 minute mile so that I could do the whole 4 miles without stopping to walk. Got any tips for me? I have the opportunity to do a marathon (yikes) in November so I know i will really need to step it up on these distances. should i worry so much about my pace at this point?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I ran for 8 min straight today!!! YAY

I have shin splints. BOO

Any ideas for getting rid of them buggers? If it's not one thing trying to keep me from running, it's another!!

I can tell you that I do not feel any shin pain when running downhill (slightly incline), but I feel it when running unhill (back up that slope I just ran down). Haven't had the opportunity to run on flat land. I have new New Balance running shoes, two new pairs actually, and I alternate them.

Suggestions welcomed!!!! :glasses:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Lauryn, when my shins are achey, I do this one stretch type thing. You may be able to find it online. Also, there's a way to tape for shin's. Be sure to stretch your hips really well too. Sometimes they can cause achey knees and shins.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    No running for me today, I did my first spin class and it was GREAT! I can't wait to go again. I've found a new obsession lol. Going to do a beach body video in a bit, Happy Running!

~Leash :heart:
  • Nich0le
    Options
    No running for me today, I did my first spin class and it was GREAT! I can't wait to go again. I've found a new obsession lol. Going to do a beach body video in a bit, Happy Running!

Thank god. I might have a chance to gain on you with the nike challenge :laugh:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options

Thank god. I might have a chance to gain on you with the nike challenge :laugh:

So your saying your happy that I have shin splints?! lol jk I hope to be back at it tomorrow! I'm getting burnt out from running but I gotta finish it out for my marathon. Have a good run tonight!

• blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    I ran 4 miles this morning, I felt pretty good afterwards. I have a question for you gals on these longer runs (i'm calling 5 miles and plus long, haha) do you focus more on your speed or your endurance? this morning, I just tried to do a nice 10 minute mile so that I could do the whole 4 miles without stopping to walk. Got any tips for me? I have the opportunity to do a marathon (yikes) in November so I know i will really need to step it up on these distances. should i worry so much about my pace at this point?

I am running a marathon in Oct. When I go on my "long runs", which are around 15-20 miles, I concentrate on speed. I set a pace that I want to run and then watch my clock on my ipod to make sure I am hitting it. The "shorter" runs, range from 5-8 miles and those I dont focus on speed so much but I will do hill sprints and I will start to tempos next week. Hope that helps and good luck!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I ran for 8 min straight today!!! YAY

I have shin splints. BOO

Any ideas for getting rid of them buggers? If it's not one thing trying to keep me from running, it's another!!

I can tell you that I do not feel any shin pain when running downhill (slightly incline), but I feel it when running unhill (back up that slope I just ran down). Haven't had the opportunity to run on flat land. I have new New Balance running shoes, two new pairs actually, and I alternate them.

Suggestions welcomed!!!! :glasses:

Good for you!(running 8 minutes straight)
    Boo(shin splints)

When I was younger I always stopped running b/c of shin splints. When I started running again much later in my life, I thought I would be plagued again. Not at all!

I've heard that the wrong shoes are usually the culprits. If you haven't been fitted at a running specialty store, go and ask them to watch you run and to take a look at your arch type. If you have been fitted, take your worn shoes in and have them analyzed. They can tell by the wear pattern on your shoes if you are in fact in the right shoes.

Another reason people get shin splints is weak muscles. That is why the run/walk program is so popular b/c it slowly increases how much time you are running. This is usually enough to allow you to build up the necessary strength to avoid shin splints.

Don't give up!:drinker:
  • kechiemc
    Options

Congratulations on your goal of running a marathon.:flowerforyou: Your "long" runs should definitely be run at a comfortable pace. If you were running with a friend, you guys should be able to chat. The "long" runs build up your endurance by getting you used to be on your feet for extended periods of time. "Long" runs definitely should be based on how long you run - NOT how fast.

For detailed information about what pace you should run your long runs, check out the Smart Coach tool on Runner's World. If you can supply a recent race time, it will provide you with a detailed training plan for any upcoming race distance. Let me know if you have questions about the Smart Coach results.

Happy running:flowerforyou:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    6 miles for me today... already sweating my big group run tomorrow!!! We're doing 12 and I'm so nervous! I'll write in and let y'all know how it goes. Sweet dreams!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I had a crazy day that would include teaching 2 classes and then being involved in a program from 12 to 10 pm. I am proud of myself because instead of saying "Oh I have too much to do!" I actually got into work, went into the fitness room and did 3 miles on the elliptical.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I would use your long runs for endurance, so go at a comfortable pace, in your case 10 -10:30 pace. Use your shorter runs to do higher intensity stuff, like hill repeats, sprint intervals, tempo runs, to improve your strength and speed. Trying to do your long distance at a fast pace will burn you out. Doing your short runs at low speed / intensity is just adding 'junk mileage'. Both are invitations to injury.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would use your long runs for endurance, so go at a comfortable pace, in your case 10 -10:30 pace. Use your shorter runs to do higher intensity stuff, like hill repeats, sprint intervals, tempo runs, to improve your strength and speed. Trying to do your long distance at a fast pace will burn you out. Doing your short runs at low speed / intensity is just adding 'junk mileage'. Both are invitations to injury.

ITA!! Long runs for endurance. Shorter runs are when you should work on the speedwork and tempo runs.