To all those under 5 foot 2''....

Options
Hi shorties! I wanted to know if anyone knew where I should set my caloric intake if I want to begin to weight lift in order to gain muscle? I am 5 foot 1'' and 100 Ibls. I do cardio 6X a week and I wanted to integrate weight lifting in at least two of those days. Right now I aim for 1,300 calories a day...mostly b/c I am scared to go any higher. My food diary is open if anyone wants to take a peak :)

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If you want to GAIN muscle, you have to eat at a SURPLUS. So above maintenance. If you are doing NROLFW there is a section for diet/food. :flowerforyou:
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    LOL, sorry I'm 5'6"....oops.
  • MaggieFit622
    Options
    Haha its okay :) Thanks though! I am getting the book tomorrow via Amazon.
  • mavsgurl30
    Options
    Hi! I am 5 feet and work out 6 days a week as well. I do cardio and also have been weight training for years. I was eating about 1100 calories for many years, and eventually hit a plateau. I started reading fitness mags and they all said the same thing...that you have to consume more calories to gain muscle. I changed my diet several times, increasing it gradually to 1300, then 1500....but I started gaining weight, and it wasn't muscle. And I was eating all healthy foods. I think that everyone's body is different, so it might work for you, but it didn't for me. I have to stick to my 1100-1200 calories to gain muscle and keep the fat off.
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Hi! I am 5 feet and work out 6 days a week as well. I do cardio and also have been weight training for years. I was eating about 1100 calories for many years, and eventually hit a plateau. I started reading fitness mags and they all said the same thing...that you have to consume more calories to gain muscle. I changed my diet several times, increasing it gradually to 1300, then 1500....but I started gaining weight, and it wasn't muscle. And I was eating all healthy foods. I think that everyone's body is different, so it might work for you, but it didn't for me. I have to stick to my 1100-1200 calories to gain muscle and keep the fat off.

#1 How heavy were/are you lifting? If you want to gain MUSCLE you have to lift heavy weights not the little Barbie weights.
    #2 You are gaining muscle on 1100-1200 cal a day? :noway:
  • carrie_eggo
    Options
    Wow....you have 2 threads with this same topic???
  • mavsgurl30
    Options
    I went through different phases...in the beginning i was just lifting at the gym. Then I started P90X and went through 5 rounds of that. I didn't lift super heavy. I have a small frame. But I did do alot of reps and it was def challenging for me. I toned up quite a bit from the time before I started doing the P90. I did gain muscle. Every time i increase my calories my weight goes back up and i notice i'm not as toned. But yes, I feel like i'm most comfortable at around 1200/day. And my goal right now really is to lose my ab fat from my pregnancy.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I recommend going through this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921

and calculating calorie needs for bulking. Ideally, you're looking to add a 10-20% surplus in calories to your day.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi shorties! I wanted to know if anyone knew where I should set my caloric intake if I want to begin to weight lift in order to gain muscle? I am 5 foot 1'' and 100 Ibls. I do cardio 6X a week and I wanted to integrate weight lifting in at least two of those days. Right now I aim for 1,300 calories a day...mostly b/c I am scared to go any higher. My food diary is open if anyone wants to take a peak :)
    Bump - Save it for later..