Low Calorie FILLING foods

Options
I'm looking for foods that are low in calories but also filling. Any suggestions? I've gone over my daily calories because some high calorie foods seem to take up such a huge chunk. I'm a newbie. Any and ALL help would be great.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kellyc3
    Options
    Bump
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies!
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I diced an entire squash and zucchini and sauteed in a little balsamic vinegarette, salt, pepper and garlic and it was amazing! Very filling and super low calorie! (About 100 cal maybe?)
  • iamthekesia
    Options
    try concentrating on eating foods high in dietary fiber because that will help keep you fuller longer. Also try eating more steamed vegetables. broccoli, spinach, lettuce, chard, kale, etc.

hope that helps!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Veggies
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    raw veggies or popcorn to snack on and my go-to super low cal dinner I make when I have hardly any calories left for the day is a soup made from veg or chicken broth that is loaded with veggies (usually celery, onions and carrots for me but anything will do). It is always yummy very filling low-cal and loaded with vitamins and fiber.
  • mbb0301
    Options
    I like eating a banana and half an ounce of walnuts. VERY satisfying, nutritious and filling all for under 200 calories
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    What everyone said -- green veggies!

But also: egg whites scrambled in nonstick cooking spray! Egg whites are about 17-20 calories each, so you can have a pretty large portion for about 120 calories. Top with 2 -4 TB of salsa for another just 10 to 20 calories. The protein satisfies and keeps you full.
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I know a lot of people are saying veggies. Absolutly go for the veggie load especially with fiber, but also include lean protiens in with that. It will take your body a while to break down the protiens and combined with fiber it works for me.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i try to eat lots of veggies with a little bit of protein. like tonight for dinner i had 12 ounces of asparagus (140 calories), 5 ounces of cherub tomatoes (45 calories), and 2 ounces of smoked turkey (60 calories). i was REALLY full after i ate and the entire meal only cost 245 calories! if i eat nothing but veggies i get really full but i'm hungry again pretty quick.
  • Soki_84
    Soki_84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt is a good option - low GI and can be low cal if you choose the right one, celery and carrot with dip (home mad tadziki is great) a peice of toast with tomato or avacado is a great snack, wholemeal rice crackers, little boxes of nuts - these can be a little higher in calories but they're a good nutritious snack or as everyone else has said, veggies are awesome and pair them with protein like fish or chicken.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    One of my winter favorites is Cabbage Soup - can be made with a million variations, only takes a few minutes to make and I just store it in the fridge and grab a cup whenever I want something warm, filling and super low-cal (calories are dependent on which veggies you add...)

One small head cabbage, sliced thin

One Vidalia onion, sliced

Carrots - 3 or 4 depending on size, chopped (or you can use baby carrots)

Salt and Pepper to taste, and I love adding chopped Rosemary (or you could add Oregano or any other herb you like)

Just saute the onion in a tiny bit of Olive Oil until soft, add the carrots then the cabbage and let it sweat down and reduce in size.

Add a box of Vegetable or Chicken broth and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Other things I add in for a change are:

Mushrooms

Potato, chopped (this adds a bit more calories, and you will have to cook the soup a bit longer...)

A handful dry rice (be careful as this absorbs lots of the liquid -may have to add additional broth) - I find this makes it feel more like a meal...

You can vary this recipe any way you want but I find it is a great, filling, low-cal thing to have on hand in the fridge...
  • Julahoops
    Julahoops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, rice cakes with almond butter, banana
  • livindreams
    Options
    Air popped popcorn- you get a lot and it is crunchy if you are in a "chips mood". Now they even have flavors you can sprinkle on for more taste. Also rice cakes with peanut butter if you are a peanut butter lover like me. My other new find...nutella....absolutely to die for..throw it on an english muffin and you have a wonderful chocolate treat!