Hello -

Options
So Im not entirely sure what to put here but Im 5'3, 31 year old female looking to lose about 40 lbs.

My goal weight is 140, which I guess is the top of the "normal" weight according to BMI charts for someone that is 5'3. I have several goals with this weight loss of course just to lose the weight and be healthier and more active. But my bigger driving goal is this the weight at which I would like to have a child, so hopefully that adds some fuel to my fire.

I struggle to find exercise fun or entertaining and frequently lose motivation because of that and poor self control when it comes to food. "Cheat" days or days I over do it are really hard for me to put behind me and keep counting calories and doing exercise. Im defiantly interested in others that have trouble with finding fun exercise and tricks for self control.

Replies

• SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Honey, I hear you. I'm in the same boat. 33, 5'4", and trying to get down to 140, maybe even 135. Just started MFP last week and trying to recruit my real-world friends but I could use some online buddies too.

I've never tried to lose weight in any meaningful way before. I was skinny until I was 23-24 and then gradually the pounds started adding up. I just tried to dress better. Make the most of it. But now I'm approaching 200lbs and totally unhealthy. I want to get married, I want to have a child, I want to GO SHOPPING. I had a reality check last week and signed up. Maybe it's just because I'm new and super confident, but I really want to make this change.

I found out last week that a friend of mine from work has a seldom-used membership to the same gym I (never) go to. We're making plans to start working out together, even if it's just 2x a week to begin with. And I'm trying to use my ab roller for at least 5 minutes a day before work. I know it's not much, but I need to start putting something into my routine that isn't food. I'm dedicated to my food diary too. I admit, I was shocked when I first started using it. I can't imaging how many calories I consumed before I started paying attention. No wonder I got this way.

So far the only sure "tricks" I've discovered is that a cup of kefir (a dairy smoothie) and a hard-boiled egg for breakfast gets me through to lunch without hitting up the snack table at work. If I need a snack, I'm glad I love carrots. And water. Whenever I'm hungry, I drink a glass of water. I'm trying to stick to that strategy, since I know I don't drink enough water and I get headaches from dehydration. I have to practically choke it down. I have to buy some lemon juice next time I go shopping and put a few drops into my water so it doesn't taste so .... watery.

Good luck. CountDown321, and anyone else, feel free to add me.

13626668.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    So Im not entirely sure what to put here but Im 5'3, 31 year old female looking to lose about 40 lbs.

My goal weight is 140, which I guess is the top of the "normal" weight according to BMI charts for someone that is 5'3. I have several goals with this weight loss of course just to lose the weight and be healthier and more active. But my bigger driving goal is this the weight at which I would like to have a child, so hopefully that adds some fuel to my fire.

I struggle to find exercise fun or entertaining and frequently lose motivation because of that and poor self control when it comes to food. "Cheat" days or days I over do it are really hard for me to put behind me and keep counting calories and doing exercise. Im defiantly interested in others that have trouble with finding fun exercise and tricks for self control.
    I too must stick with what I enjoy or forget it.
    And I do some exercises that are just far out: goose step marching, boxing circuit training, squat thrust intervals and a bunch of other weird stuff that most would hate, but I enjoy.

You will never catch me on a treadmill - "dreadmill" or in an aerobic class or out in the cold running.
    I love my program and the results? 65 lbs lost, body fat down from 35% to 18% and pants size 46 down to 34 and going for 32.

Good luck to you, and please share what you end up doing.
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I too must stick with what I enjoy or forget it.
    And I do some exercises that are just far out: goose step marching, boxing circuit training, squat thrust intervals and a bunch of other weird stuff that most would hate, but I enjoy.

You will never catch me on a treadmill - "dreadmill" or in an aerobic class or out in the cold running.
    I love my program and the results? 65 lbs lost, body fat down from 35% to 18% and pants size 46 down to 34 and going for 32.

Good luck to you, and please share what you end up doing.

Those sound interesting and made me giggle. To start with my Ive been bike riding around the neighborhood. It may be the same scenery, but at least I control what I see and when. Just need to work on my endurance, but thatll come with time. Also playing Wii exercise games, currently playing Just Dance 2.
  • greg331
    Options
    If you can afford a trainer, found it helps a bunch. I was bored wiith typical exercise and found working out at a gym with free weights and non-standard equipment like ship ropes and sledge hammers on truck tires was a lot of fun. Trainer who pushes you takes everything up a level.