Overtraining frustration

Options
Ran 35 miles two weeks ago with long run of 12.4..... 18.5 miles last week with long run of 9.4.... today I had to stop at 4.2..... WTF! I'm eating almost all my calories and this past week I took a day off between runs.... I know I'm overtraining but resting doesn't seem to be doing junk!

Replies

• Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Maybe you should consider trying some exercise besides strictly running like maybe resistance training? You shouldn't consider exercise work, if you're not enjoying it just come back to it after you do something different.
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    I read your profile and noticed you're a marathoner, you obviously have to run my mistake. When I get overtraining pain in my legs from too much basketball, it is usually ice,heat & ibuprofen. I guess other than that I can't help much. I guess also make sure you're eating right and getting your sleep, but you already knew that i'm sure.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I'm not clear on whether your concerns are just about training, or training and nutrition, or weight loss, or what your goals are. But it's possible to get all wrapped up in a goal, work out in our head what that should look like, and charge full speed ahead. (Guilty!) Our body does not mind at all telling us to bugger off when we are ignoring what it needs.

This is a great book I came across about endurance training and weight loss. The first one I have read that made sense to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Management-Triathletes-Ironman-Ingrid/dp/1841262900

Happy training.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips... I can only do one thing to the extreme or I can't do it at all... about the ibuprofen thing, does it hinder your performance in any way? I have some soreness that sometimes prevents me from running. What's frustrating is that I'm eating all my calories and sleeping a lot but my body doesn't want to cooperate.... like my short run consists of 5 miles with half uphill and even after two months of running the uphill I still struggle and am reaching my HR!
    I read your profile and noticed you're a marathoner, you obviously have to run my mistake. When I get overtraining pain in my legs from too much basketball, it is usually ice,heat & ibuprofen. I guess other than that I can't help much. I guess also make sure you're eating right and getting your sleep, but you already knew that i'm sure.
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Thanks for the tips... I can only do one thing to the extreme or I can't do it at all... about the ibuprofen thing, does it hinder your performance in any way? I have some soreness that sometimes prevents me from running. What's frustrating is that I'm eating all my calories and sleeping a lot but my body doesn't want to cooperate.... like my short run consists of 5 miles with half uphill and even after two months of running the uphill I still struggle and am reaching my HR!

Have you considered taking fish oil and glucosamine, there are others but these come to mind for fighting inflammation I always heard runners require didn't type of nutrition. I personally only take the fish oil. Might wanna look into stuff like that.

I can't say if it negatively affects me, but I know like this weekend for example I had to play basketball 2 days in a row for 3 or more hours and if I didn't take care of my legs that rest wouldn't have been enough.

You runners are trooper for that, I am flat footed and can't run that much.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Also review your water intake, especially in cooler weather. A pint or two short on water each day can affect your energy in a pretty significant way.
  • Maybe you should consider trying some exercise besides strictly running like maybe resistance training? You shouldn't consider exercise work, if you're not enjoying it just come back to it after you do something different.

Agreed. Whenever I get bored of running, I turn to swimming. After a couple weeks, I'm ready to get back on the treadmill and do even better than before! I think cross training is very impt no matter what your goals are.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    umm went over this a little in my PT course... for "marathon training" you shouldnt always burn yourself out or run a freaking marathon everday.. as like u said.. you end up over training...

so what you should be doing is set a goal date... lets say 4 months from now i want to run 25km... then slowly over the 4month period build urself up to it by adding couple mins everyday or adding a km...

or you can try running a long run on monday then multiple smaller runs rest of the week.. then again monday run even longer n make ur smaller runs a little longer too n so on.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    One bad run means nothing but your human. I run 40 + miles a week and some days 5 miles seems like hell on earth. Then two days later I'll run like the wind. Relax and don't over think it. If your getting pain or soreness then you need to take a couple of days off from running. Go for a walk instead. Marathoners walk too. Its help reduce swelling and gives the legs a rest. Bad runs happen, nothing you can do about it. The idea is to get the bad runs out of the way so you have a good run when you need one like race day.