are netbooks any good.?

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
I already have a laptop, but i kinda smashed the screen on it (long story!).. to get my laptop screen fixed it will cost me between £100-£150!!! i thought its just easier to spend that little extra and get a netbook right? and also a netbook would be more convienient for me, as its small, light, easy to carry around, i can take it on journeys with me, and its easier to have it in bed at night cos its soo small, whereas the laptop ive got now is too heavy, takes up alot of room etc!

here is the netbook i really want, ive read all reviews on it and everyone is saying how good it is. I know that i cant transfer CD's onto it, but i will get myself a portable disk drive that i can plug in the netbook and install CD's that way :) im not a heavy gamer anyway, i literally just listen to music, Skype, and internet on my laptop, so i think it will be ideal.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5085903/Trail/searchtext>NETBOOK.htm

theres the link, i think its only available for people in UK.

please let me know on your opinions :)

thankyou x

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap netbook earlier in the year for a spare computer to have around. It's a piece of junk.
    You definitely get what you pay for.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I bought a cheap netbook earlier in the year for a spare computer to have around. It's a piece of junk.

oh reallly? i only want it for internet, literally lol. soo how come its a piece of junk? =/
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a netbook that I use for email and internet, but that is it since it is too weak for anything else. If you have a good computer I would spend the money for a new screen.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have an Acer netbook that I picked up on clearance. It has the same stats, 1GB RAM and 250GB hard drive. It's perfectly fine for surfing the internet. It isn't fast enough to really do much more on. As it is, it takes time to load certain pages. I would suggest spending a tad more and getting one with more RAM and a bigger hard drive. My next one will have 4 GB RAM and at least 500 GB hard drive.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I have a netbook that I use for email and internet, but that is it since it is too weak for anything else. If you have a good computer I would spend the money for a new screen.

oooh right,, well the laptop ive got now, is excellent, no problems with it apart from the screen. Ive had it since summer 2010 and fairplay it has been through hell and back!:laugh: but i really need something alot smaller than it, because when i have it on my lap, its really heavy and it also burns my leg as it overheats!

I think ill just go buy a netbook after christmas, and if i dont like it, i can either sell it, or take it back :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I had one few years back and I loved it. I just used it for web browsing, music storage, word documents, etc. Never had a problem with it until my puppy chewed it up. :laugh: It was only like 10 inches wide so it fit in a large purse which was cool for traveling or even just going to starbucks to do homework. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have a CD drive but it did have a usb port so you could just transport files on that but it couldn't read cds or play dvds or anything. It also didn't have a camera so you couldn't video skype but you could just use skype for regular calls. Otherwise it was just an MSI wind from target and was like $200. I thought it was well worth it.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I had one few years back and I loved it. I just used it for web browsing, music storage, word documents, etc. Never had a problem with it until my puppy chewed it up. :laugh: The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have a CD drive but it did have a usb port so you could just transport files on that but it couldn't read cds or play dvds or anything. Otherwise it was just an MSI wind from target and was like $200. I thought it was well worth it.

ahh i seee :) yeah ill just be using it for internet, and a little music storage for my ipod. im not too fussed about it having no CD drive. the one i want is an MSI wind too =D will defo get one now, thankyou for your post! :D
  • stylistchik
    Options
    I had one few years back and I loved it. I just used it for web browsing, music storage, word documents, etc. Never had a problem with it until my puppy chewed it up. :laugh: The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have a CD drive but it did have a usb port so you could just transport files on that but it couldn't read cds or play dvds or anything. Otherwise it was just an MSI wind from target and was like $200. I thought it was well worth it.

ahh i seee :) yeah ill just be using it for internet, and a little music storage for my ipod. im not too fussed about it having no CD drive. the one i want is an MSI wind too =D will defo get one now, thankyou for your post! :D

Oh good! yeah it was a solid little computer... but not puppy proof :laugh:
  • antipanic
    Options
    I think of netbooks as being something other than a computer, so I am satisfied with mine. I use it to stream movies, check email, browse the internet, etc. when I am traveling, and don't want to bring my laptop (which is a real workhorse) I don't use the netbook for any real computing. I found the external CD drive to be a pain - I was always forgetting it, so you might want to take a pass on that until you have used the machine for a while.

If you are looking for an internet appliance that is a bit more useful than a smart phone, then you will be happy with a netbook. If you do extensive typing though, be sure to check out how the keyboard layout works with your typing style. good luck!
  • xSophia19
    Options

Oh good! yeah it was a solid little computer... but not puppy proof :laugh:

hahahaha lool. blesss :) the one i want is all shiny purple! its sooo cute haha! :)
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I think of netbooks as being something other than a computer, so I am satisfied with mine. I use it to stream movies, check email, browse the internet, etc. when I am traveling, and don't want to bring my laptop (which is a real workhorse) I don't use the netbook for any real computing. I found the external CD drive to be a pain - I was always forgetting it, so you might want to take a pass on that until you have used the machine for a while.

If you are looking for an internet appliance that is a bit more useful than a smart phone, then you will be happy with a netbook. If you do extensive typing though, be sure to check out how the keyboard layout works with your typing style. good luck!

i think anything is better than my blackberry smartphone :laugh:. when i do purchase the netbook, i will be asking to take it out the box before i leave the store just so i can look at the layout of the keyboard and see if its ok for me. (im veryy fussy with keyboards) thanks for your help :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional journalist and I have a cheap netbook I can pop into my bag for conferences and business trips. I write and edit entire articles, photos and audio interviews and upload them with no problem. I also listen to music and watch films on a USB flash drive, converted and copied from my main PC.

If you seriously only use it for internet browsing and music you'll be fine. However the additional cost of an external drive may mean you'd be better off getting your laptop screen repaired, plus you'll have the full computing power you need for everything else you do.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I'm a professional journalist and I have a cheap netbook I can pop into my bag for conferences and business trips. I write and edit entire articles, photos and audio interviews and upload them with no problem. I also listen to music and watch films on a USB flash drive, converted and copied from my main PC.

If you seriously only use it for internet browsing and music you'll be fine. However the additional cost of an external drive may mean you'd be better off getting your laptop screen repaired, plus you'll have the full computing power you need for everything else you do.

hmmm. i think ill just get the netbook. on the laptop ive got now, i only used it for internet and music, and storing pictures. i never watched dvds on it, i rarely installed CD's, and the only game ive got for laptop is the Sims 3, which i havent been on in months, soo im not too fussed if i can go on it or not. I just need something smaller, at a reasonable price, soo i think i will get the netbook. Thanks =)
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a little toshiba netbook and I love it. I have a little padded case for it and it actually fits in my purse. It was great when I was traveling. Get one and enjoy it!!
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I have a little toshiba netbook and I love it. I have a little padded case for it and it actually fits in my purse. It was great when I was traveling. Get one and enjoy it!!

oooh awsomee! will defo get one now then :) thanks!
  • stylistchik
    Options

i think anything is better than my blackberry smartphone :laugh:. when i do purchase the netbook, i will be asking to take it out the box before i leave the store just so i can look at the layout of the keyboard and see if its ok for me. (im veryy fussy with keyboards) thanks for your help :smile:

It is a tiny little keyboard but I have small hands so it didn't bother me. I had the biggest one (10 inches) and it was white. the purple one if I can remember right is only 7 or 8 inches and that makes a big difference but I think the smaller ones are significantly cheaper.
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i have a dell netook and i love it, ok its abit slow at times but i find it really good i only use it for the internet and storing my pics on, i hate my partners laptop its far to bulky and the keys are weird to type on but maybe im used to the small keys now! this one is perfect i can browse the web and feed the baby with both on my lap :smile:
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

ditto this. I only use mine for the internet and it's soooo slow. Not worth the money.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've got a Sony Vaio. Bought for the same reason you said. My laptop died & it would have cost more than a netbook to repair.
    It's fine, a bit slower than my old laptop and the lack of a disc drive is a pain 'cause I cant download the software for my camera. But just for surfin the net & stuff it's fine.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I bought a small Toshiba Laptop for about $450. Well worth it. Why Netbooks are bad: NO CD/DVD to load programs or FIX ERRORS, and not enough RAM to do anything.