STOP YOUR WHINING!

Options
I’m going to vent a little here. I read post after post of people asking for help but in the end…, they won’t even help themselves. A typical post is about how someone works at a desk for 10- to 12 hours a day & can’t exercise or even walk because they have bad knees, bla bla bla. They are asking for someone to give them basically a quick fix. It ain’t happening. I worked a desk job & it’s doable, people. If it worth having, it’s worth working for. Period.

PEOPLE! It didn’t take overnight to be overweight & it’s not going to be overnight to change it. Let’s be honest here. You have bad knees because you are carrying around more weight. Walking is low impact & everyone who isn’t in a wheelchair, should be able to achieve it at some level. Try it without complaining sometime, please.

My favorite is “What do I eat because I don’t like DIET food?” Are you kidding me? Please don’t tell me you don’t like the AFTER taste of a diet drink or the food I am eating. It’s about choices. I will drink a Pepsi Max with ZERO calories vs 250 calories in the regular 20 oz bottle. Where food is concern.., deal with it. You can eat healthy & look good or eat crap AND look like crap. The choice is yours.

Yes we have our ups & downs…, but please stop your whining over stuff you can control. It’s getting pathetically sad listening to grown @$$ people complaining about EVERYTHING there is to living healthy. Nobody will take you to the light at the end of the tunnel, while you are kicking & screaming. “Go to the light Carol Ann.., go to the light!”

You may return to your regularly scheduled life.

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    (sorry if I hurt some feelings here)
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    I completely agree.

If you want to change your life and be healthy, you have to try and eat healthy!
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey...sometimes you've got to vent. It's true, people will post something about "I don't know what to do" and then criticize everyone's post. If you don't want advice...don't ask for it. Geez.
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ...and people posting "look at my diary, not sure what I'm doing wrong" and then you look and they've got candy, ice cream, donuts, fast food. Um, no wonder the scale isn't going down.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    If its important to you - you will make the time (or do the changes)
  • silkysly
    Options
    Thank you everyone…., I was starting to think I was the only one.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Get ready for the keyboard worriers and hate mail!!!! ppl here are overly sensitive and dont read the entire post before replying to you...

reason: being overweight raises your estrogen... too much estrogen=moodswings and extra sensitivity!

heres couple vids i show my friends when they whine n complain...

this one i like the part where he sais some of you are spoiled... because ALOT of ppl simply are... n i was like he described.. i was forced to grow up quick.. started chipping in on bills at home when i was 16 moved out as soon as i turned 18... hated it when i was kid that i didnt get anythign i wanted like other kids n i had to go to work after school to buy what i wanted.. but now i thank my mom because her "tough love" made me the man i am now! i dont give up! never will!

copy n paste
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa1j2kBIYOw

n good old "no excuses" goes over every excuse in the book lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hey...sometimes you've got to vent. It's true, people will post something about "I don't know what to do" and then criticize everyone's post. If you don't want advice...don't ask for it. Geez.
    So true..I've seen more posts where people ask for advice, then shoot down every single effort with some type of excuse ("no time" to work out, "too busy", "eating healthy is too expensive", "cookies are just too good", blah, blah, blah). Nobody ever said this was going to be easy, or that it wasn't going to require hard work or sacrifices, and PS - we're ALL busy!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i have low tolerence for excuses. Take responsibility for your choices (good or bad) This is hard. Stop trying and do it. If you don´t....well stop complaining. It´s like people that say the fell off the wagon. I am sorry but unless someone forced fed you....you took the decision that what you want now is more important then what you really want.
  • silkysly
    Options
    It’s crazy the complaining I see on here. My own friends do it too.

Sure holidays are harder for most, but excuse after excuse for all the other days is just too much.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    AMEN SISTER!! Whining never helped anyone do anything better/faster/easier! When I started MFP at under 5'2" weighing almost 200 lbs, everything hurt every day, including my newly empty belly(rumble, rumble)!
    I am an (almost) 47 year old mom of two---30 lbs overweight(30 lbs down, thank you very much), asthma, high blood pressure, bad knees, the whole tamale, but the positive force of MFP has changed my life!! It took me SIX MONTHS to get where I am, and I am chomping at the bit to get to the next six months---swimsuit season here I come! Hey its a long hard road sometimes, but LIFE is a journey, not a destination, so get on the road, knees up, shoulders back and SMILE, it makes everything better!!
  • silkysly
    Options
    AMEN SISTER!! Whining never helped anyone do anything better/faster/easier! When I started MFP at under 5'2" weighing almost 200 lbs, everything hurt every day, including my newly empty belly(rumble, rumble)!
    I am an (almost) 47 year old mom of two---30 lbs overweight(30 lbs down, thank you very much), asthma, high blood pressure, bad knees, the whole tamale, but the positive force of MFP has changed my life!! It took me SIX MONTHS to get where I am, and I am chomping at the bit to get to the next six months---swimsuit season here I come! Hey its a long hard road sometimes, but LIFE is a journey, not a destination, so get on the road, knees up, shoulders back and SMILE, it makes everything better!!
    Yeah you! I like what you said..., "LIFE is a journey, not a destination." (nice one)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Except for a small number of people who are overweight due to some underlying physical pathology, almost all of us are here because of mindless eating, poor food choices, failure or inability to monitor internal hunger and satiety cues, or attitudes toward food and/or our bodies. That is, the majority of us have choices we need to make about food and eating, and no one else can make those choices for us. Someone who continues to fail and whine about his/her failure needs to ask: what is it about my life that leads me to sabotage my efforts? And when you understand that about yourself, figure out how you can change it. For some, it may mean working with a nutritionist; for others, working with a medical doctor, or a weight-loss coach, a personal trainer, or a psychotherapist.

You won't get those kinds of help here in these forums. What you *will* get based on my experience in these forums so far is a place to "vent", to get superficial sympathy, and to get every sort of crackpot advice on nutrition and exercise you can imagine. Mixed in with the 80% noise will be the 20% of sound advice. If nothing's working for you and your approach consists of posting endless complaints in these forums, wake up and smell the coffee. Take responsibility for the choices you've made and your current situation, and get some professional help with your weight loss program, because a large percentage of what you read in these forums is suspect. Whining is a cop-out.
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    (sorry if I hurt some feelings here)
    No I think you are right, I find myself sometimes complaining and then I realize no one really likes to hear a complainer. So no you didn't hurt "my feelings" I needed a reminder that if "I" want to lose this weight it had better be important enough to me to stop whining about it. There are ups and downs all the times and sometimes you just need a swift kick to remember that you are doing this for yourself and just do it without the whining and get over it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Preachin' to the choir.

I posted recently about the inches and lbs I lost, after bumping up my fitness regime. People said how jealous they are - come on, people! You don't get fit by being jealous !

Something else - A FB friend asked me to be her weight loss mentor, yet she posts day and night about the cookies, crackers, and other goodies she constantly bakes for her family, and that she can't resist them. And she needs to lose 100 lbs and her husband complains about that. When I tell her that no one needs cookies, she turns a deaf ear.

I don't know if it's immaturity or what it is, but good health doesn't happen by accident or by itself. It happens with hard work and slow progress.
  • trainorgirl
    Options
    Bhaaaaaahaaaahaaa LOVE THE TRUTH!! haa haaa we live in a world where feelings cant be hurt, there are excuses for failure and its acceptable, you cant say the truth-because it sometimes is not the nicest thing to hear, and where people are allowed to self sabotage with support!!! its really sad... and ya wonder why there are unhealthy- negative- people roaming around!!!! gluttony is a bad habit!!!!
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Except for a small number of people who are overweight due to some underlying physical pathology, almost all of us are here because of mindless eating, poor food choices, failure or inability to monitor internal hunger and satiety cues, or attitudes toward food and/or our bodies. That is, the majority of us have choices we need to make about food and eating, and no one else can make those choices for us. Someone who continues to fail and whine about his/her failure needs to ask: what is it about my life that leads me to sabotage my efforts? And when you understand that about yourself, figure out how you can change it. For some, it may mean working with a nutritionist; for others, working with a medical doctor, or a weight-loss coach, a personal trainer, or a psychotherapist.

You won't get those kinds of help here in these forums. What you *will* get based on my experience in these forums so far is a place to "vent", to get superficial sympathy, and to get every sort of crackpot advice on nutrition and exercise you can imagine. Mixed in with the 80% noise will be the 20% of sound advice. If nothing's working for you and your approach consists of posting endless complaints in these forums, wake up and smell the coffee. Take responsibility for the choices you've made and your current situation, and get some professional help with your weight loss program, because a large percentage of what you read in these forums is suspect. Whining is a cop-out.

Ditto; and whining is a cop-out and I should know I do my share of it. :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think dieting makes some people grumpy, lol! I totally agree with this post and appreciate you venting! :smile:
  • trainorgirl
    Options
    :tongue:
  • trainorgirl
    Options
    good for you.. i couldnt mentor someone that wasn't wanting to help themselves!!!! how can you mentor and support someone when their not putting in their end of the deal by being healthy and trying to lose weight.. seems like it would be a challenge-and a waist of time... i love and am proud when the people that mentor me see my successes!!! and knowing that they appreciate my hard work and are proud of me too.. good on-ya!!

Preachin' to the choir.

I posted recently about the inches and lbs I lost, after bumping up my fitness regime. People said how jealous they are - come on, people! You don't get fit by being jealous !

Something else - A FB friend asked me to be her weight loss mentor, yet she posts day and night about the cookies, crackers, and other goodies she constantly bakes for her family, and that she can't resist them. And she needs to lose 100 lbs and her husband complains about that. When I tell her that no one needs cookies, she turns a deaf ear.

I don't know if it's immaturity or what it is, but good health doesn't happen by accident or by itself. It happens with hard work and slow progress.
    [/quote]