MMMMMOTIVATION!

Options
Guys how do you stay motivated - when I read all these success stories and all the hard work ppl put into it I feel overwhelmed - peeps are burning like 500 - 1000 calories - too much effort for me - just reading it makes me exhausted for them lol

Replies

• polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Start off slow. Do ten minutes, and build up; As you work out more, you get a high when you do it. Plus if i work out i get to eat more since i worked out and that's a huge bonus for me.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    LOL - I hear you! I think it depends on where you start out. I was completely "unconditioned" as my trainer put it - so I don't go nuts. My mental math trick is to sligthly overestimate my food calories, and slightly underestimate my exercise calories. It works out in the end and the most important thing is that you get moving every day, no matter how much or how little. Any exercise is better than no exercise! Good luck!

11894292.png
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I take it one day at a time. Forget tomorrow, forget next week. Concentrate on this meal, this minute, this workout. That is the only thing that works for me. I even stopped weighing every day and only step on the scale on my weigh in day. I realized this morning that by having the one-day mindset, I've already made exercise a habit. I just do it. I don't think about it or give myself time to talk my way out of it. I get up, get dressed and get going. And who says you need to burn that many calories? I made a simple goal of burning at least 300 per workout. And I feel that anything over 40-50 minutes is useless. Start simple. Say, workout 4 times a week for 30 minutes. Then as your intensity increases, so will your workouts. It does take a while to get to that point where you are sick and tired of being at, feeling like crap and falling off the wagon. I did that plenty of times, but I can tell this time is different. If we never fail, how will we know what we need to work on? Just make small changes and over time it will become habit. Good luck hun!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Read my profile and you will see what keeps me motivated.

Do the activity in my will power blog to find your own motivation
    > http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/recipe-for-a-will-power-pill-for-help-with-the-mental-part-of-the-journey-155978

as for burning 500-1000 calories through exercise, completely unnecessary to lose weight. I started this journey without doing any exercise. Over time, I added different exercises and I started increasing the intensity (not amount of time so much) of my exercising. I believe there are benefits to working out with intensity (i.e., cardio health, getting a sleek/toned body, assists with weight loss, etc.). However, you can't go from 0 to 60 all at one time. Whenever you choose to start exercising, start with something you like and as you get healthier, you can increase the intensity and/or add other things. Remember this...whatever exercise you do, do it with a purpose. If you're just going to mamsy pamsy it through the exercise, you're not going to get much out of it.

Good luck to you on your journey.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and 30 minutes was awful for me.... now I can work out for two hours and feel great! You gotta start somewhere, and if I can do this, anyone can!!
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    motivation for anything comes from successes! Even if its very small. Its kind of like golf ya know? You have a few good swings during a round and like they always say.."It keeps you coming back". When I go to the gym, I remember the day that I started. Couldn't stay on an eliptical for maybe 2 minutes without wanting to die! Couple of weeks ago I had a personal best of 7 miles in 68 minutes. Not like I always try to do that, but I wanted to challenge myself so I could see the progress. Or when you can add 5 lbs to a lift or just plain and simple, when you put clothes on and think, "Hey, I have room in my clothes now!" Or someone telling me how much better I look and happier too. Thats all the motivation I need to sweat more, or to put down the brownies or not to feel too bad when my skinny friends eat half of a pizza. "Keeps you coming back"
  • ogottwald
    ogottwald Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Start out slow, mix things up, and take it easy. I like mixing things up with my exercise in 10 minute intervals. I typically do 10 min swim, 10 min bike, 10 min run, and i try to walk more during the day with at least 20 minutes. I typically do 3 of the 10 min exercises 4-5 days a week. If I'm tired I bring things down a notch. For example on the treadmill if at 5 speed I bring it down to 4.5 to not have a suckola time. I just started MFP as of Nov 13th but I'm already feeling a huge difference in my strength and I've gotten toner. Stick with it and never say "I can't"!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I just have tunnel vision, make it your job to lose weight, the more weight you lose, the more money in the bank. What works for my wife is she treats working out as a second job. Put a half hour to an hour aside each day and try to make the most money possible in that time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!