Rant about docs...

Options
I spent a lot of time interviewing family docs before choosing one and I really love ours BUT...

Today he wasn't available so I agreed to see the nurse practiioner to ask to have my thyroid, and while we are at it, everything else checked. I'm 5'2" and 158lb. I explained what I've been doing and that I really don't think the weight is coming off like it should but I am still nursing and my body does tend to hold onto weight when I am nursing, which is not terribly uncommon. I just want to know what I am dealing with if it is my thyroid. Her suggestion was weight watchers and as soon as I wean my daughter, Adipex!!!! WTH??? I told her I didn't really think that was for me and she encouraged me to just "try it" for 2 or 3 months!!! I've never in my life been on any medication, aside from the meds I have to take when I am pregnant, for that long. I was totally shocked that she'd suggest meds so quickly.

I deal with a ton of misinformation from OB/GYNs and peds all the time when it comes to my clients and breastfeeding but this is pretty basic stuff. Breastfeeding isn't covered very well in medical school and there aren't many good medical studies on it, so the lack of information, dated information and general confusion by docs is excusable to me, no matter how much more work it makes for me! This is so totally not excusable. Weight loss is heavily studied. Weight related illness is heavily studied, there is no excuse for recomending a pill when a patient is clearly trying to do it "right" and make a lifestyle change...

Ugh....thanks for letting me rant! I hope I am alone in this boat!

Replies

• aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I spent a lot of time interviewing family docs before choosing one and I really love ours BUT...

Today he wasn't available so I agreed to see the nurse practiioner to ask to have my thyroid, and while we are at it, everything else checked. I'm 5'2" and 158lb. I explained what I've been doing and that I really don't think the weight is coming off like it should but I am still nursing and my body does tend to hold onto weight when I am nursing, which is not terribly uncommon. I just want to know what I am dealing with if it is my thyroid. Her suggestion was weight watchers and as soon as I wean my daughter, Adipex!!!! WTH??? I told her I didn't really think that was for me and she encouraged me to just "try it" for 2 or 3 months!!! I've never in my life been on any medication, aside from the meds I have to take when I am pregnant, for that long. I was totally shocked that she'd suggest meds so quickly.

I deal with a ton of misinformation from OB/GYNs and peds all the time when it comes to my clients and breastfeeding but this is pretty basic stuff. Breastfeeding isn't covered very well in medical school and there aren't many good medical studies on it, so the lack of information, dated information and general confusion by docs is excusable to me, no matter how much more work it makes for me! This is so totally not excusable. Weight loss is heavily studied. Weight related illness is heavily studied, there is no excuse for recomending a pill when a patient is clearly trying to do it "right" and make a lifestyle change...

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Tell her that you'll gladly "try" it as soon as ww calls to confirm that the check this nurse will write on your behalf has cleared.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Are you kidding me?! Most people BEG their Drs for diet pills only to still be told NO! Why? Because there's no sense in trying to take the easy way out. It's a band aid, not a solution for the problem. I'd be ticked, too. I don't blame you one bit!
  • lulubenmom
    lulubenmom Posts: 45
    Options
    Oh I know exactly what you mean about nursing and weight not coming off. I've been through it twice now. For a year no matter if I ate what I wanted, exercised my weight stayed exactly the same. I just stopped nursing for the 2nd time, I've been working out 6 days a week & eating really well and even my personal trainer couldn't believe the scales wouldn't budge. I stopped nursing 3 weeks ago and bang, lost 2 lb's and I can feel it coming off.

Can't believe the doc recommending meds! Whoa! Did she read out all the side effects???

I'm surprised how little some doc's know about some meds and even natural safe remedies. EG I was recommended some allergy medicine while breastfeeding, I rang the company to check it was safe and was told yes, but the "drying" chemicals would dry up my milk! Also, during pregnancy the doc gave me an iron pill that caused constipation, but also a laxative for that. I bought an iron pill that doesn't cause constipation and even if I did have that, there's prune juice - much safer!
  • aymie24
    Options
    When it comes to breastfeeding and meds, docs often use the PDR or drug company inserts for information. Unfortunately, often the drug company is trying trying to cover their behind and the PDR lacks relevent, up to date info.

There's a book called Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Hale that actually lists medications and the actual study info about each drug in relation to breastfeeding. It's a great reference for any nursing mom.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This NP is working under the guidance of your MD...or some other MD. I would let the MD know about this.
  • aymie24
    Options
    This NP is working under the guidance of your MD...or some other MD. I would let the MD know about this.

I see him in two weeks and am going to ask him about it. I highly, highly doubt he'd agree with her suggestion.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is heavily studied. Weight related illness is heavily studied, there is no excuse for recomending a pill when a patient is clearly trying to do it "right" and make a lifestyle change...
    Actually, most doctors are woefully ignorant about this subject. In medical school they don't go over the latest research, nutrition is often an optional course, and a lot of what they do teach about weight loss is actually *wrong*. (Which is worse than not teaching anything at all, IMO.)

But I don't think it's excusable in either case. A PCP is going to deal with both breastfeeding moms and weight loss and nutrition and should educate themselves on both topics. I guess I'm just more of a hardass about it than you are. :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a doctor for years because I view them as little more than legal drug dealers. Ever notice that 99.9% of all items in their office have a brand name drug on them? It's called "compensation packages" for them giving out prescriptions. The free schwag is just the beginning.
  • aymie24
    Options
    I haven't seen a doctor for years because I view them as little more than legal drug dealers. Ever notice that 99.9% of all items in their office have a brand name drug on them? It's called "compensation packages" for them giving out prescriptions. The free schwag is just the beginning.

Unfortunately, I am painfully aware of that. Those same pharm companies make infant formula. It's no wonder docs don't support breastfeeding when they are being paid to push formula. I personally know two nurses facing disciplinary action for refusing to attend the formula co lunch last month at their hospital. Big, big bucks come out of those interactions. I can't begin to imagine the meds side of that ugly partnership.
  • Akasa
    Akasa Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a thyroid issue, I was in my Dr's office in tears cause not only could I not loose weight but I was gaining at the tune of about 5lbs a week no matter what I ate or didn't. I swear for a while there I KNOW I wasn't getting enough calories.(2 bags of air popped pop corn and some fruit? Nope not enough calories.)
    He suggested the blood tests, tested as hypothyroidism, and here I am being monitored the rest of my life for my thyroid. I shed about 20lbs just from being on the thyroid meds. Its not enough for me. Before all this started I was 120, I was pushing 200 when I was diagnosed. I'm finally comfortable in my skin, but I'm not going to wear anything showing off a lot of skin either.
    If your Dr. is worth hi ssalt he will order the blood tests, if not you know to look elsewhere.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I was actually highly encouraged to continue breastfeeding by both my OB/GYN and my daughter's pediatrician when it wasn't going well. Her Ped. even had a free lactation consultant. I was pretty
    impressed but maybe I just got lucky with both Drs. My SIL didn't have the same kind of encouragement!
  • aymie24
    Options
    I have a thyroid issue, I was in my Dr's office in tears cause not only could I not loose weight but I was gaining at the tune of about 5lbs a week no matter what I ate or didn't. I swear for a while there I KNOW I wasn't getting enough calories.(2 bags of air popped pop corn and some fruit? Nope not enough calories.)
    He suggested the blood tests, tested as hypothyroidism, and here I am being monitored the rest of my life for my thyroid. I shed about 20lbs just from being on the thyroid meds. Its not enough for me. Before all this started I was 120, I was pushing 200 when I was diagnosed. I'm finally comfortable in my skin, but I'm not going to wear anything showing off a lot of skin either.
    If your Dr. is worth hi ssalt he will order the blood tests, if not you know to look elsewhere.

They are doing a full blood work up tomorrow. I'm sorry for everything you are going through. I hope it gets better for you.
  • aymie24
    Options
    I was actually highly encouraged to continue breastfeeding by both my OB/GYN and my daughter's pediatrician when it wasn't going well. Her Ped. even had a free lactation consultant. I was pretty
    impressed but maybe I just got lucky with both Drs. My SIL didn't have the same kind of encouragement!

:bigsmile: I shouldn't generalize so much. There are a few exceptions and they deserve to be recognized for doing the right thing. Good for you for sticking it out when it was tough!