can u give me an idea?

Options
I am so inspired by all the success stories and wouldlike to know what is the best advice you could give to me to complete my journey.
How many hours of exercise did you do in a day? Did any of you use the help of herbal supplements? Did you find a "trick" of the trade type help? What made u motivated to stick with it?
lots of

Replies

• kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What works is success - yes, it's nice to say, I'm getting healthy, but when you look in the mirror and see the difference... now that's motivating! My advice-as you know, is: "Slow & easy does it." do exercises you like that you'll stick with - if you can't wait to get out & run every day - then that's what you do - some folks dance - I mean really dance! Me, I like long walks. I can't run and my husband is not a dancer, but I love to walk. Of every diet I've been on - and I've been on just about every kind! - counting calories is the one that works - and being reasonable is what works in the long run.
    That's my advice - I'm interested in what others have to say!
    katey♥
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The thing that works with me is switching it up. If I get bored, I'm more likely to quit. When I began running, it was completely new to me. Once I completed c25k, I had to refocus and start on new goals.. I was not going to be content just running 3 miles a few days a week . I set out on a gruelling half marathon schedule. Then I ran the half marathon and finished in an awesome "this is my first time doing this" time! But as soon as that was over, I had to completely refocus again. I was beginning to get bored running all those miles every day. I am now in preseason training for a Warrior Dash. This involves running as training, but also a lot of other aspects, like weights, yoga and plyo. I am loving the variety of training I'm getting, and still get to run a few days a week. For me, it's definitely an issue of novelty. I have to stay interested, or it's literally game over.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Definitely find exercise that you enjoy and can stick with. I love to dance rock n roll (50s style) and fortunately so does my husband so we go to class once week and go out dancing another night a week.

The other advice I would offer is to find someone who will be your absolute champion. For me it is my husband. He is a night owl and I am a morning person, but my health means so much to him that he has voluntarily started getting up with me to exercise in the mornings. Now we plan our exercise together and he gets cranky if he can't make it for some reason! As well as dancing we go walking together, cycling and swimming.

Having him as my number one cheerleader is the greatest motivation I can find when I am struggling through some of those tougher days that always come on these journeys.

Good luck!
  • jwh1986
    Options
    "SEEING" the difference will be the biggest motivator you can get, but you first have to cut out the bad habbits of typical "normal" habbits that are actually bad for you (Soda, high calerie foods, chocolate, fats) those kind of things. I'm not saying that you need to never eat or drink them again, but definatly regulate it and be more aware of it. One thing that really helps me on a daily basis is look at the quanity of the food i'm putting into my body and stop viewing it as FOOD, but more as FUEL, this is fuel going into my body for energy and rebuilding my muscles and replenishing nutrience in my body. If you consume to much, your body will store it, i think that portion size has been a huge problem with most people gaining weight, just look at your fists side by side (that's your stomach size, or what it SHOULD be), if you eat more than that.. you're streaching your stomach and increasing the amount of food you can take in, in one sitting, I work out about 3-4x a week. both strength and cardio, but i started at 2x a week just cardio and now i just love it, it's ME TIME, and i get about an hour or 2, of it, and it makes me look and feel better everytime. hope you find this useful and i wish you the best of luck!
    ~Justin
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    What inspired me is to be able to run again. I missed that :heart:, to wear normal jeans and look good in a dress, and finally I new my hubby loved me I just wanted to see him checking me out again like he used to :smile:
    I remember feeling so self defeated and angry that I allowed myself to get so big that I couldn't run any more without hurting myself :noway:

All the above kept me going, in the weight loss journey I just keep going and change things up till I reached my goal (had to readjust my goal too). People are different some times you need to change something to get there, and I did use an apatite suppressant in the beginning, for a few months to help with the sugar cravings.

After I got here I got more protective over what I have accomplished and made a point to never go back by experimenting with foods (how do I react to foods emotionally and physically) and exercise.
    Now I work out 2 hrs/day 7 day/week. 6 days real exercise, Sunday window shopping and a nice game of tennis. I eat between 2400 and 3000 cals /day depending on how much I burn and how hungry I am (I am not forcing my self to eat and don't mind losing, just not trying to any more)

I love how I feel now energy wise and the way I look. My diary is open, so you can feel free to check it.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i eat around 2000 cals a day..i do no cardio..i lift only. heavy weights. i lift for an hour a day, no more because after an hour any lifting does nothing and can actually harm muscle building. i take jack3d pre workout and a whey isolate shake right after workout. i take a multi and flax seed.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, what worked for me...was looking at this as a lifestyle change, not so much as a diet. I wanted to do something that I would continue for the rest of my life.

And because of that, it became a learning process.
    ---At first, I was just counting the calories of what I ate, then I realized that not all calories are equal - meaning, in my quest of trying to eat foods lower in calorie, I realized I felt better because I was eating healthier foods. Slowly, I ended up cutting out the junk snacks that were my staple "go-to" snacks.
    ---Then I also realized that the original amount of calories MFP gave me wasn't enough, so I upped them - telling myself .5 lbs a week was going to be enough...but once I was comfortable with that calorie goal, decreasing it and/or increasing exercise to allow myself more calories.
    ---I also started with 15-20 minute cardio workouts on easy levels and once I got used to that, I upped them to harder workouts. I now work out about 50 minutes a day, maybe one or two rest days, depending on the week. I added in a DVD on kettlebells, which was crazy hard when I first started but now manageable.
    ---I've learned in this process that eating all day long - smaller meals - is much better for my metabolism. That being said, on some of my workdays, it's super hard to get a meal in, so I've learned to pack my entire day's worth of snacks - and bought a meal replacement on those super crazy days. Idealshape (chocolate) is one that keeps me full and tastes pretty good. I mix it with silk almond milk - unsweetened.
    --Quinoa, spinach, cabbage salad - all things that I once thought I would never like or eat - have been amazing with the addition of some other flavors. For me specifically, adding cilantro and/or particular dressings has made me CRAVE the foods now. And obviously, not only are these foods good for me, but they are also low in calorie.

I guess the best lesson - or what helped me the most was believing it was going to be a lifestyle change - and accepting it would be a slower process in terms of what I was doing. I wasn't expecting instant results.

However, now it feels almost like it was. I started in July 2011 and I've lost 30 lbs. I'm pretty happy where I am, but now that I've achieved this weight, I'm going to attempt to lose 10-15 more lbs. - or at least mass. As I've lost the weight, I now think I should focus more on measurements, rather than weight...as the scale moves much more slowly.

Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to share what worked for me...because to be truthfully honest, I started this with a bit of skepticism, but I truly believe that MFP, commitment, and perception -seeing this as a lifestyle change and not a diet - was the reason for my success.

:) Good luck on your journey!
  • kris3663
    Options
    I am very restricted on what exercise I can do because I have a failed back surgery, neurpathic pain and will beWT getting a neurtrasmitter placed in my back. Before it got cold outdoors I walked everyday. Sometimes it was only for 15 minute a day. After Christmas I am going to start doing the wii dancing. I am sure there won't be things I won't be able to do but there will be lots I can do. I also do water walking/swimming. I also quit smoking August 1st after 34 yrs. That is what really in spired me, I want to get myself healthier. Find something you like to do, switch it up though so you don't get bored. Give yourself a reward when you acheive your goal, don't make it food...maybe perfume, jewelry, new top etc. Believe in yourself, you can do anything you set your mind to but you have to believe in yourself. There are great people here to help also. sometimes we need a lil kick in the butt to remind us what we are working towards (;) you know who you are)
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do the work. Do the logging; If you follow the plan and do the work and the plan works.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Best advice...It's mostly about the food, in my opinion. There's some saying that's like Abs are made 70% in the kitchen 30% in the gym...Something like that.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I can say without a doubt the biggest motivation is having someone, anyone, online, in person, spouse (well not really in my case), friend, coworker, doctor, etc. tell you and make you believe that You Can Do It. This is over many years of experience. The times where I have been the most motivated are when I had gentle and caring encouragement of someone who I felt truly cared about my well being and wasn't like scolding you for being overweight or unhealthy. Encouragement is one of the greatest gifts we can give each other.

Honesty is another thing that has helped. The food logging helps you be honest with yourself and others on here. Accountability breeds discipline which is what I lacked in my prior life.

Lastly, not being guilty to love myself has helped me. There are many times when I feel like have a stark choice to do something either that is healthy or something that is comfortable. For example, I have the choice to go to the market and get a whole bunch of salad greens, come home spend time chopping and preparing a salad and then storing it (which takes time and effort and money), vs. sitting on the couch watching tv. So I just say, you should do something loving for yourself, it will be fine. Or doing my ab workout when I've just done cardio after a long day at work and I want to go home. I whisper that to myself and it helps.

Wishing you the best on your journey. :))))
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    * Exercise 60 minutes 4 - 5 days a week;
    * no herbs or diet pills
    * biggest "tricks" are keeping full by drinking water-- sometimes chugging 24 oz at a time before a meal to suppress my appetite, and LOGGING LOGGING LOGGING!
  • ogottwald
    ogottwald Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1) Logging on MFP!
    2) Exercise - mix it up a bit and start out slow and easy. I recently started MFP and I mix things up with 10 minutes weights, 10 minutes swimming, 10 minutes running, 10 minutes biking, 20+ of walking. I usually do 3 of the 4 on 10 minutes and walk everyday.
    3) I recently got a food scale! You might be surprised how much extra you eat by eyeballing portions.
    4) I'm of the opinion diet pills are mythical BS. There is no magical pill.
    5) Never say "I can't" and never over do it. If you are exhausted take it down a notch and give your body time to recover from shock.
  • tigertown11
    Options
    thank you all for your motivation! I thought about my question, and I already really new the answer! You all just reinforced it in me and I am going to take each of your comments and put them on a board for me to see everyday! THANK YOU ALL!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Never quit. never give up.
    If it's easy, it's not worth doing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!