Cranberry recipes needed :)

Options
So, I bought some fresh cranberries at the store the other day, because I just could not pass up the price! However- I have NO clue what to do with them! My kids are brave and tried them raw (to which they spit it out, which is very rare for them. Ha! The only other thing I have seen one of my kids spit out is shrimp).

Anyway- I'm rambling- I need some cranberry recipes :D Preferably something healthy, but I know I am going to have to add some sugar to cut some of the tartness :)

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    cranberry apple crisp is fantastic! (make apple crisp, use splenda brown sugar blend, and use apples and cranberries)

check skinnytaste.com they may have some great ones there with cranberries!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The only one I have requires a cup of sugar, orange juice and ground ginger. I didn't know you could eat cranberries raw. No wonder they spit them out. :laugh:

My recipe is from Parade Magazine. I think if you search the site, you can find it there.
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    Yes, hard to not use sugar but you can cut or use substitute in this recipe. It is my mother's.

Bring one cup of water and 2 tsp of pickling spice to a boil. simmer covered for 5 minutes. (Can add extra cloves or cinnamon sticks, too.)

Strain liquid out and pour it over one pound of cranberries.

Add two cups of sugar and cook for 5 to ten minutes or until skins pop. Watch closely as it can boil over or burn.

If you want, add a swig of fruit flavored bandy, rum, etc.

Chill and serve.
  • joeykat16
    joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites--- I switch between cranberries and blueberries. Either one is GREAT!

You can make 12 regular size muffins instead of the mini-- just lower the amount of oats you put on top and know that 1 muffin would equal 78 calories, 5g Protein, 17g of Carbs, and 1g of Fat.

Mini Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
    Serving Size 3 muffins

Calories 78, Protein 5g, Carbs 17g, Fat 1g

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained

Ingredients for icing:

1/3 cup confectioner sugar
    2 tsp water
    1 tsp milk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in milk, egg, and oil; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill pam sprayed muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.

Add oats to top

Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.

Combine Icing ingredients together and drizzle over the top

****Also, you can bake with Truvia (like I do) and it cuts some cals but adds some carbs, your choice***
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cranberry Orange Relish

2 C cranberries chopped fine
    1 large navel orange (peel included) chopped fine
    2/3 - 1 C sugar, Splenda, Truvia ...... whatever (amount of sugar depends upon tartness of the orange).

Mix together and let the flavors meld for several hours

Cranberry sauce (recipe on bag) can be made by substituting any kind of juice (apple, orange) for the water - then you can use less sugar. Ginger, cinnamon or cloves are all good spices to use.
  • mareowner
    Options
    I drop them into pound cake! They moisten it up and taste great. :)

6176597.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vwlgirl
    vwlgirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Lemon Cranberry Scones
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Serving Size: 1 scone • Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 192.5 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 4.3 g • Carb: 33.9 g • Fiber: 2.1 g
    Basic Scone recipe modified from Cooking Light

2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
    1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tbsp lemon zest
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    2 cups Ultra grain flour (or 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
    3/4 cup dried sweet cranberries or cherries

Position rack in top third of oven; Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Make glaze by combining 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp lemon juice.

Combine buttermilk, remaining lemon juice, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently fold in cranberries or cherries. Add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until moist. (dough will be sticky)

Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Form dough into an 8-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, cut dough into 10 wedges (do not cut all the way through). Brush lemon glaze over dough. Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Serve warm or room temperature.

If you leave out the dried fruit, the scones are 4 points plus each.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Apple Cranberry Crumble
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 8 • Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 211.5 • Fat: 5.4 g • Carb: 44.7 g • Fiber: 2.9 g • Protein: 1.8 g • Sugar: 35.5 g
    Sodium: 186.6 mg

Ingredients:

For the filling:

3 cups (about 4) peeled gala apples, sliced
    1 cup fresh cranberries
    1 tbsp flour or cornstarch
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2/3 cup agave
    cooking spray such as Smart Balance

For the topping:

3/4 cup dry quick-cooking oats
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    3 tbsp light butter, melted (such as Land O Lakes)
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    1/2 tsp salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Combine apples, cranberries along with the rest of the filling ingredients in a bowl. Pour into baking dish and even out with a spoon.

In another bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over apple/cranberry mixture.

Bake uncovered, for 55-60 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm.
    Options
    bump
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I puree them in orange juice, and then dump the mixture on top of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot.