MFP Runners May 9

Options
Got my 5k done in 30:30!
I realize that is a snail's pace for many of you, but it was quick for me! :happy:
Taking tomorrow off.
Happy running everyone and Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!
Becky

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I realize that is a snail's pace for many of you, but it was quick for me! :happy:
    Taking tomorrow off.
    Becky
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    That's great.

I did 1.75miles today. I was hoping to do 2miles but didn't quite make it.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Taking tomorrow off.
    Becky

That's great!

No running for me today, but I did strength train :bigsmile:
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    Havent gotten my run in yet today but today will be a nice four miles before my long run tomorrow...oh man
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I finished my 10K in 54:54. I was pretty happy with the time. 4850 people ran this morning for breast cancer - it's always a fun run.

Hope everyone has a good run
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I finished my 10K in 54:54. I was pretty happy with the time. 4850 people ran this morning for breast cancer - it's always a fun run.

Hope everyone has a good run

Great job!! And great time!! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Taking tomorrow off.
    Becky

WTG!! Great job!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    6 mile early run for me. Then running up & down the soccer field (coaching my dd's soccer team).

Happy Mother's Day! :flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Wow! Great 10k time! :flowerforyou:
    Thanks everyone else for the encouragement.:smile:
    A quick question...this is the end of month 1 for me as far as running goes.
    I've been surprised that I can manage 6 miles already and this week handled 6 days of shorter runs.
    Is one approach better than another? Frequent short runs vs. longer less frequent runs?
    My body is telling me it wants to do distance and I'm thinking about a half marathon this fall.
    Just curious if there is a right way to train?
    Thanks a lot!

Becky
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran with my new group today. I thought we were doing 12, and was PLEASANTLY surprised to find out we were doing 10. I was dying, but I made it! They averaged a 7:25 pace. I can do that, but to maintain it for 10 miles was difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay for a rest day tomorrow! Happy mama's day!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great 10k time! :flowerforyou:
    Thanks everyone else for the encouragement.:smile:
    A quick question...this is the end of month 1 for me as far as running goes.
    I've been surprised that I can manage 6 miles already and this week handled 6 days of shorter runs.
    Is one approach better than another? Frequent short runs vs. longer less frequent runs?
    My body is telling me it wants to do distance and I'm thinking about a half marathon this fall.
    Just curious if there is a right way to train?
    Thanks a lot!

Becky
    Not necessarily a right or wrong way, just what may suit you better. My first marathon I was running 5-6 days a week, often only 3-4 miles a run. i was sore almost all the time, and came up too lame to run at mile 21 and had to walk it in. Now I only run three days a week, typically 6+ miles every run, and cross train several days a week. I am rarely sore and have improved my pace significantly, and scheduling three runs a week is easier than scheduling 6, even if they are longer.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran with my new group today. I thought we were doing 12, and was PLEASANTLY surprised to find out we were doing 10. I was dying, but I made it! They averaged a 7:25 pace. I can do that, but to maintain it for 10 miles was difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay for a rest day tomorrow! Happy mama's day!
    Katie, you are a machine!!!:smile: My old legs think 7:25 is good for mile intervals - could never maintain that for 10 miles. good work :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Katie, you are a machine!!!:smile: My old legs think 7:25 is good for mile intervals - could never maintain that for 10 miles. good work :drinker:

I agree!! Wow, that is FAST for 10 miles!! Wow!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Not necessarily a right or wrong way, just what may suit you better. My first marathon I was running 5-6 days a week, often only 3-4 miles a run. i was sore almost all the time, and came up too lame to run at mile 21 and had to walk it in. Now I only run three days a week, typically 6+ miles every run, and cross train several days a week. I am rarely sore and have improved my pace significantly, and scheduling three runs a week is easier than scheduling 6, even if they are longer.

I'm just going to follow Tom around in agreement. That is exactly how I was when I did Hal Higdon's plan (5-6 days of running). Now I did the FIRST plan of 3 days a week for my last 2 half marathons and not only PR'ed but felt GREAT and had an awesome recovery!! 3 days of running worked great for me as I love to cross train anyway!
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    WOW, good for you guys! Im still a "begginner runner" and I dream of a 5K. I think im going to give myself untill after the summer, and once the island cools down a bit! =)