Shaking it after your workout

Options
I recently started exercising, and have noticed that after a workout I am fatigued. I normally eat dinner after I workout, but after getting sick a couple of times, I now realize that I need to eat before. After working out what is a good supplement to take or what is a great shake to drink? I sometimes drink the weight watchers chocolate shakes to put the pep back in my step.

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    apple with some peanut butter 30- 45 minutes before a workout, works for me.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Protein Shots.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You can very easily eat whole foods rather than supplements and have a good effect. Grab a box of raisins and a handful of nuts, drink a glass of milk.

I have been trying to move further away from putting prefab foods in my body as much as possible these days. Tastes way better.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Raisins an hour to 90 minutes before workout are my go-to. Helps keep things a little more level and they are totally portable. If I'm carrying too big a calorie deficit going into the workout, I'll grab a Cliff bar.

I liked Bolthouse Protein Plus Mango after workout... haven't had one in ages though. Just started having dinner earlier instead.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Cliff Builder Bars right after my workout does it every time.

I get nauseous if I wait to long to eat after a strenuous workout.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've asked a similar question of my trainer and he said after a workout, a combination of good proteins and carbs is great. Try Greek yogurt with almonds or an apple with peanut butter rather than a shake. Doesn't take too long to prepare!!
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've asked a similar question of my trainer and he said after a workout, a combination of good proteins and carbs is great. Try Greek yogurt with almonds or an apple with peanut butter rather than a shake. Doesn't take too long to prepare!!

I always forget about peanut butter. Thx
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can very easily eat whole foods rather than supplements and have a good effect. Grab a box of raisins and a handful of nuts, drink a glass of milk.

I have been trying to move further away from putting prefab foods in my body as much as possible these days. Tastes way better.

I absolutely agree...unless you're competitively body building you have no need for supplements. There's nothing your body needs that you can't get from food. Combining some carbs with lean proteins after a workout is all your muscles need.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like Craisens (dried Cranberries) before and after! Mmmm
  • lpchica36
    lpchica36 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A whey protein shake always does it for me!! And I have some in my sports nutrition business that taste really yummy too and are geared towards recovery! :) Message me if you want more info....

Great job with your workouts! If they're exhausting you, that means your working hard! Keep it up!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Apple and peanut butter or a Kashi Trail mix bar are my go to pre-workout snacks and I have cottage cheese or Kashi Go Lean cereal after a workout.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I zumba...

I shake it during my workouts :wink:
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I eat one of my meals an hour and half before a workout, then one right after.
    It really helps, but I do not get sick and do not use supplements for that purpose.

Glad to see it's working for you - keep it up!
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have a honeycrisp apple 30 min before my workout. Then a cup of fat free cottage cheese when I get home, about 20 min after. The fat free cottage cheese is all carbs and protein. I used to do the protein shake thing before and after lifting and all it did was use up calories that I would rather have for dinner.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    fruit smoothie with a scoop of protein powder.