Food poisoning question

Options
Two days ago I got food poisoning really bad and now today I'm seven pounds lighter. I suspect that the weight loss is mostly water weight but I'm curious if I can expect any of the weight loss to stay (with proper diet and exercise of course)?

Thank you for your responses!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It's not real weight loss for the most part, but I would imagine you haven't eaten and I would suspect some muscle catabolism as well as some fat loss. Basically most of that will come back as soon as you start to eat regularily.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if some of it does stay.

Several years ago, when I very first started trying to lose weight, I had a very rough and emotional day and was unable to eat at all. The next morning, I was 4 pounds down and none of it came back.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've heard (I have no idea if this is true) that people can carry around several pounds of poo in their colons. If you got food poisoning and it "cleaned you out" that might have been where those extra pounds went. Do you feel I bit less bloaty?
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I got food poisoning from Mcdonald's last year the day after Christmas and lost 6 pounds. 3 of them stayed away and despite the food poisoning being an awful experience, it helped kick-start my weight loss journey!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If you haven't eaten anything for 48 hours AND you've been pretty active in that time, you might have lost some fat, how much depends on how much your body uses on a day to day basis.

Very rough rule of thumb, if your maintenance calories are 2000 a day and you don't eat anything at all for 2 days and are as active as usual, you might lose 4000 / 3500 = 1.1lb of actual weight, of which some may be muscle, so almost certainly less than a pound of fat.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've heard (I have no idea if this is true) that people can carry around several pounds of poo in their colons. If you got food poisoning and it "cleaned you out" that might have been where those extra pounds went. Do you feel I bit less bloaty?

You heard that on a commercial for an expensive product that's supposed to clean you out.

Not true.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Two days ago I got food poisoning really bad and now today I'm seven pounds lighter. I suspect that the weight loss is mostly water weight but I'm curious if I can expect any of the weight loss to stay (with proper diet and exercise of course)?

Thank you for your responses!
    Sure! You lost muscle - don't celebrate.

Remember, fitness is not all about the scale, or we'd all be eating putrid sirloin.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Fat is not so easy to disolve. You will be short the calories by the end of the week of 2 days worth, so that might result in some ultimate weight loss. Most of the weight loss from being sick, would be fluid loss and solid waste loss. I'm sure you feel empty and thin, with a caved in stomach find of an effect right now though.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

You heard that on a commercial for an expensive product that's supposed to clean you out.

Not true.

pretty sure i didn't hear it on a commerical: i don't have a tv, haha.

nope, i heard if from a dirty hippy at a gas station when i was buying beef jerky. he was probably vegan or something.

edited to say: i then told the hippy trying to convice me not to eat tasty dehydrated animal that i'd heard "the duke" died with 50 lbs of poo in his colon. smilled and paid for my dead cow.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not true.

pretty sure i didn't hear it on a commerical: i don't have a tv, haha.

nope, i heard if from a dirty hippy at a gas station when i was buying beef jerky. he was probably vegan or something.

edited to say: i then told the hippy trying to convice me not to eat tasty dehydrated animal that i'd heard "the duke" died with 50 lbs of poo in his colon. smilled and paid for my dead cow.

They play those ads on the radio, too. :-)

But anything you heard from a hippy in a gas station is probably suspect, anyway. lol