Water Question

Options
Okay, so usually I stop drinking water at like 7 so that I don't have any water weight when I weigh myself in the morning. I didn't see any results but I decided I would drink water anytime, throught-out the day & I weighed myself this morning and I lost 1.4 lbs.. I'm sorta confused as to why this is? I know is might seem stupid, but thought I would ask opinons or whatnot on this.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If you continue for the next few weeks and keep losing, that would be something.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I know this does not seem like common sense, but the more you drink, the less water your body retains.
    You are training the body to expel water as well as flushing from your system sodium and other things that lead to retention.

DRINK UP!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    How long does the water thing work usually? I have been doing it for two weeks and have lost 10 lbs. I know it will eventually stall and I must have been retaining a LOT of water, I just hope it goes as long as possible.
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It might also just be coincidence. I find that I lose all my weight between Thursday and Friday for some odd reason. I work my rear off all week and the scale doesn't move. The poof, Friday morning, I magically step on and drop 2 lbs. No idea why, but I won't ask if that's the way the fat wants to play ;)

Try drinking water when you are thirsty regardless of what time the clock says and see if it keeps working. If you keep losing weight, then just go with it. :)
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    More water going in and out means less water hanging around in your muscles etc....drink drink drink baby!! Worst side effect is having to pee in the middle of the night lol
  • KLDunford
    Options
    Thanks for your guys input! Usually, I take a day off from the Gym on Mondays to let my body rest and I usually see progress forth on throughout the week. But I think retaining water was my issue, that my body goes in to retaining mode, but its worth going to the bathroom constantly..

Thanks again!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Unless you have a problem with retaining water you shouldn't have a problem when you drink it. It all flushes through your system then you pee it out. Just pee before you weigh!! Drink up girl-water is the drink of life-haha!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    A rooster crows every morning and a few minutes later, the sun comes up. The sun doesn't come up because the rooster crowed.

I've never been able to find medical evidence that drinking water has a positive impact on weight loss other than as a means of supressing your appetite - keep your belly full of water and you'll eat less.

Swallowing water doesn't "teach" my body anything. It just gives me more liquid to expel.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

And more water doesn't "get rid of more toxins" - assuming that we have adequate water intake, our body is quite capable of excreting impurities.

When you start drinking excess water, your body will retain it for a while. We become "turgid" which means that our wrinkles might go away and our skin might feel softer while we're crammed full of water. I would think that our blood pressure might go up and the kidneys have more work to do as our body tries to rid itself of the extra water. An we get all of that quality time in the bathroom so we can read more! :-)