Protein Shake Suggestions

Options
So I am about to break one of my own rules and try a meal replacement shake. With the weather getting warmer, I find that I don't want breakfast!?!?!? Also, I am having a really hard time getting all of my protein because I am on this huge fruits and veggies kick.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Replies

• aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    So I am about to break one of my own rules and try a meal replacement shake. With the weather getting warmer, I find that I don't want breakfast!?!?!? Also, I am having a really hard time getting all of my protein because I am on this huge fruits and veggies kick.

Any suggestions?

TIA
  • gogo524
    gogo524 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am doing heralife program. They have meal replacement shakes that are very good (17 protien per shake) I am doing 2 shakes a day, but 1 is good also. You use 1 cup of ice, 1 cup 2% milk (or lower), you can also use soy milk, 2 scoops of the shake mix and blend it all together. Depending on what flavor you use, you can add fruit or flavorings to it. Hope this helped.

Robyn
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    pre-made shakes: i prefer EAS CarbAdvantage or Myoplex shakes

to make your own, my favorite recipe is fat-free milk, chocolate protein powder, banana, peanut butter, and some ice -- tastes great and packs plenty of protein and nutrients
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    just had a GREAT one from Trader Joes ;) World something.. .can't remember right off the top of my head but it's 21 g protien :) and only 100 calories ;) Love it .. Vanilla :) Yum
  • aymie24
    Options
    Ohhhh, I am headed to TJ's in a few hours!!! Will look for it. The banana, pb, choc recipe sounds like something I'd REALLY like too! Thanks guys!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk Light.
  • emsmom2009
    emsmom2009 Posts: 23
    Options
    this isn't a shake, but nutrionist recommended it to me...
    It's made by Nature's Best, Zero Carb Iso Pure ...20fl oz, 160 calories, no fat, no carbs
    40 GRAMS OF PROTEIN. It comes in different flavors. You can buy it at GNC and other vitamin stores. It's a bit pricey for the premade bottles, but I think that they taste a lot better than the one's that you mix yourself.

Good Luck
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I vote Muscle Milk as well.
    Although GNC's whey protein powder is really good as well.
    And actually I've been happy with EAS also!
    Lots of choices...depends on your taste buds I guess! :happy:
    I've also gone back to a pre workout shake in the morning instead of oatmeal. i just can't run at 7:45am with oatmeal sitting in my stomach!
    Becky
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I use organic soy protein from wf, add spinach, cucumber, avocado, a grapefruit, coconut water, a lemon, stevia and mint to taste. You can also add almond butter to smooth it out. Very nutritious and lots of protein.

(I use a scoop or two of the soy protein, !/2 bunch of spinach,1/2 cucumber, maybe 1/4 avocado, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 lemon and coconut water for consistency, and almond butter depending on how much I feel I can have for the day) :heart:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I use organic soy protein from wf, add spinach, cucumber, avocado, a grapefruit, coconut water, a lemon, stevia and mint to taste. You can also add almond butter to smooth it out. Very nutritious and lots of protein.

(I use a scoop or two of the soy protein, !/2 bunch of spinach,1/2 cucumber, maybe 1/4 avocado, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 lemon and coconut water for consistency, and almond butter depending on how much I feel I can have for the day) :heart:

:love: :love: :love:

Your recipe --> stolen --> peace out

Except I prefer whey to soy.

Aymie, have you tried Spiru-tein? It's a blend of rice, soy, and pea protein, but it's packed with vitamins and stuff. It comes in many great flavors. I'd throw in some additional goodies, a little extra protein, and bam, great meal for when it's too hot for solids!
  • aymie24
    Options

:love: :love: :love:

Your recipe --> stolen --> peace out

Except I prefer whey to soy.

Aymie, have you tried Spiru-tein? It's a blend of rice, soy, and pea protein, but it's packed with vitamins and stuff. It comes in many great flavors. I'd throw in some additional goodies, a little extra protein, and bam, great meal for when it's too hot for solids!

I haven't tried anything yet, where would I buy that?
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I buy the Kaizen brand single use packets. I'm not one to drink the shakes every day and so it doesn't go stale. ;)
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has an awesome meal replacement called Shakeology. Check it out: www.shakeology.com.

I've been taking it for 2 months and LOVE it. Happy to answer questions or I can help you order it.

Taryn
    www.choose2befit.com
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I couldnt finish the bottle, It was not tasty:grumble:
  • aymie24
    Options
    Beachbody has an awesome meal replacement called Shakeology. Check it out: www.shakeology.com.

I've been taking it for 2 months and LOVE it. Happy to answer questions or I can help you order it.

Taryn
    www.choose2befit.com

Shakeology looks awesome, just a bit out of my price range :)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    drink 100% whey protein from GNC- but I wouldn't just use that as a meal replacement they are good snacks-

But I do use that as my form of protein with my breakfast if I don't have time to run to the cafeteria in the hospital to get eggs or I didn't eat them at the house-

So on the days I don't have eggs with me I eat some original oatmeal and drink a shake but put 2 scoops in it so I am getting my calories for breakfast-

You could also put the powder in your oatmeal too-

You could also try 6 egg whites with 1/4 cup of original oatmeal mix it together and and cook like a pancake- I put cinnamon in mine though-

You want to get your main source of proteins from actual foods- Shakes and bars are great snacks but you need to get it from your food too-

I am still struggling to get my protein in im doing 40/40/20 so basically thats 160g of protein 160g of carbs (complex no simple) and 36g of fat (the good fats though) and I eat high protein all the time
  • aymie24
    Options
    drink 100% whey protein from GNC- but I wouldn't just use that as a meal replacement they are good snacks-

But I do use that as my form of protein with my breakfast if I don't have time to run to the cafeteria in the hospital to get eggs or I didn't eat them at the house-

So on the days I don't have eggs with me I eat some original oatmeal and drink a shake but put 2 scoops in it so I am getting my calories for breakfast-

You could also try 6 egg whites with 1/4 cup of original oatmeal mix it together and and cook like a pancake- I put cinnamon in mine though-

You want to get your main source of proteins from actual foods- Shakes and bars are great snacks but you need to get it from your food too-

I am still struggling to get my protein in im doing 40/40/20 so basically thats 160g of protein 160g of carbs (complex no simple) and 36g of fat (the good fats though) and I eat high protein all the time

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree about using food as a main source of everything, including protein, that's what I meant about breaking my own rule. I can eat around 10:00 am these days but eating prior to that just doesn't work for me. I guess the shake would be sort of a pre breakfast snack.

I can do lots of healthy proteins but I don't come close to eating my calories for the day when I eat 40/40/20. I think part of that is that a lot of my protein is coming from egg whites, fish, beans and dairy like ff cottage cheese and fage.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I couldnt finish the bottle, It was not tasty:grumble:

Did you drink a premade one? I buy the powdered form and mix it with milk instead of water. I think water is used to make the premade one. I also buy the Natural instead of the Light. Cookies & Creme is a good flavor.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree about using food as a main source of everything, including protein, that's what I meant about breaking my own rule. I can eat around 10:00 am these days but eating prior to that just doesn't work for me. I guess the shake would be sort of a pre breakfast snack.

I can do lots of healthy proteins but I don't come close to eating my calories for the day when I eat 40/40/20. I think part of that is that a lot of my protein is coming from egg whites, fish, beans and dairy like ff cottage cheese and fage.

You just have to make bigger portions- Or add extra things to your snacks- i had to do this too because I was barely getting 1200 calories and I needed to be getting alot more calories so I had to add extra things and more portions to my meals to help me reach my daily calorie consumption (I don't eat what I burn but I must get my daily allotment in) So I started putting 2 scoops of whey in my shakes rather than 1 that gave me 260 calories rather than 1 and it also doubled my serving of protein as well- For my afternoon snack I might add a green apple with my protein bar--

See I don't even eat dairy or any breads right now I am on a super strict meal plan- so I have less options on my food list to work with to be able to get my calories in for the day-- And since adding those slight changes I have been able to hit my daily allotment of calories- But still trying to critique my meals so I hit my allotment of carbs and protein in a day still