HELP!

Options
This is only my second day on MFP and I hope to be around a long long time. My name is Gayle and I am 38 years old. I have been over weight all of my life.
Right now my weight is 248 and my over all goal weight is to get to 150(from there I ill decide if I want to go lower since my "Suggested weight" is like 125). This is going to take time and dedication, and I need help to keep me going and on track.

Replies

• Caylee320
    Caylee320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am fairly new as well, but love this site. The community is so supportive. Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • its going to be a long, hard journey but you can do it! stay motivated and if you ever need anything your MFP family is here!
  • jhuett
    jhuett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second that welcome! We all need help with our own goals, especially right now when a lot of us are about to go through the holiday season. It takes time to be mindful of our diet (and to prepare the food and exercise), and it's a daily struggle to sit down and log our activity.

But, it's the only way to reverse habits that we often aren't aware of.

I used myfitness pal for a few weeks until my husband broke 6 bones in September. I am now getting back to it and plan to use it religiously over the Christmas break (as I will otherwise devour food to the point of sickness and self-loathing) and then daily in 2012.

Good luck and keep checking in!

K
  • victoria1957
    victoria1957 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Aloha Gayle!
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on your decision to put yourself first!! The better you are the better you will be for those around you.... I was never overweight (except pregnancy) until about 4 years ago and menopause hit me in the head like a brick!! I went from size 6 to size 14/16. I was sick and at my wit's end. My doctor told me you can't expect to live forever. So, I changed Drs' and started working out and "juicing" by juicing I mean making my own juices at home from kale, apples, carrots and/or whatever was in my fridge. The superfood is kale. I also cut eating meat to minimum. There are all kinds of things you can do for yourself that works for you. Anyway, I started to excercise and then finally to run. I love/hate running. I am training for a 1/2 marathon now. I lost 47 lbs so far and my son has also done this same routine and he lost 70 and is still going strong. You can do this! I did and you can too. First, go see your dr and have your thyroid etc checked. I am 54 years old, you are still yet young.....be the hero of your own story!!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.
  • kattia1973
    kattia1973 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your support.
    I am going to take this a week at a time, and if that seems impossible then I will take it 1 day at a time.
    So far I have only changed 2 things in my life, Eat 3 meals a day and pay attention to what and when I am eating, and try to get some exercise in at least 3 times a week if not every day.
    I know I also need to realize that life is hectic with a houseful of people to take care of, but I HAVE to take time for me.
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new too and my goal is pretty similar to yours. I'm around 240 right now and my goal is to get to 150. How tall are you? I'm 5'5". You might find that you're actually pretty comfortable at 150.