One Year of MFP - Justin Beiber Was RIGHT!

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
Justin was right... we SHOULD "Never Say Never!"

One year ago today, I started Couch to 5k to prepare for Warrior Dash in June, and joined MFP to track my progress. It was one week into my decision to get in shape. I still didn't think I could lose weight - why should I believe I could when every other attempt failed - but it was also the first day I got on a scale and realized I weighed ten pounds more than I thought I did, at 160#. If I was 150#, I was comfortable being about 15# over what I considered my ideal weight of 135, but I absolutely REFUSED to be 25# heavier!

My first day of C25K, I took my dog with me. A Pekingese. Pekes have about three inch legs and aren't known for their athleticism. It was ROUGH. I didn't have a stop watch, so I counted the seconds in my head, and probably didn't quite complete the workout as suggested. And it wasn't the little dog's fault. Damn, was I out of shape! I had doubts I could ever do this, but I was determined. The next time, I left the dog at home, and didn't fair much better. Then we had a snowstorm, Christmas, another snowstorm, and I knew the only way to keep at it was to join a gym, and I did.

Since then, I've kept up with the running, completing seven 5k races, a 4.5 miler, a 5 miler, a 10k, and 3.5 mile Warrior Dash. I've become addicted to it, and keep pushing myself to go faster. I picked up a couple of medals for best in age group in a 5k, and 2nd in group for the 10k, and my best time for a 5k has so far been 24:59. Today, I timed myself going one (cold and windy) mile in 7:16, and my goal is to win a trophy next. I gotta get a lot faster and I'll probably have to find a small race that all the area's best women aren't competing in to win, but it's still my goal. :smile: Plus, I always run better with competition.

A year ago, I had exercise and old weather induced asthma. It took me over an hour to stop wheezing after exerting myself in the cold. Now? I was a little raspy when I got back from my 5.6 miles today, but I was fine within 10 minutes. No albuterol required.

I've also started strength training in July. Prior to that, I only did body weight and stuff with a 5# dumbbells. I love how my body has been transforming with weights.

All told, I lost about 35 pounds since I signed up on here, then "gained" about 4-5 back since going on maintenance in October. I'm not sweating that "gain" though, because at 125# I bought size 7 jeans, and at 130#, I bought the same brand in 5, and the size 3 almost fit, but squished my bum in an unflattering way. :tongue:

I don't have any photos at my starting weight that show how I really looked. But I do have one I took about a month into my weight loss, down 6# and feeling really good about how I looked. I was about to go to Zumba class, which was also a humbling experience because I have two left feet and no rhythm. I still can't dance, but I look a lot better now.

before-after-1.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

I loved these jeans, and was sad that a year ago, I had to undo the top button to wear them comfortably. They were a very stretchy size 8, but I typically wore 10 or 12.

IMG_3075.jpg

Now, I'm happy to be a "loser" in misses' 2 or 4, or juniors' 5.

Thank you, MFP for making this transformation seem almost... easy! I worked my bum literally off, but I enjoyed myself and never felt deprived, hungry or frustrated. (Yay for exercise calories!!!!) And thank YOU to all my friends who've been so motivational and inspirational. I know I couldn't have done this without you all, and my uncontrolled addiction to this website. :drinker:

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! what a difference
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    great job! I'm happy to have you as a friend here! I didn't know you started a year ago. :smile:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You look incredible!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you are one of my BIGGEST inspirations here, you tiny thing :) thank you for sharing all your experiences with us!!!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you look fab!!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Outstanding!! job well done
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You're awesome!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the one where you're looking over your shoulder... you look so sassy.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You look soooo great! Good ole fashioned hard work! I love it :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,929 Member
    Options
    Great, great, GREAT story!

Can you indicate what your nutrition plan looks like?

(I'm in week 6 of heavy strength-training, myself....after 25+ years as a cardio-gym rat, I'm trading in the elliptical for heavy weights and am VERY excited that I might have some success for this spring - sooner if I have my way!!)
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great story and great pictures. You look fantastic!
  • creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Amazing!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Great results!
  • tanian2007
    Options
    WOW!! Your story is truly one to be admired!! You look great! Thank you for sharing!!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    love your abs!! you look fabulous!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise it took only 1 year, fabulous!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love your posts and you look great! Congrats on your success and hard work :)

I also love how you still devour pizza!!! :-)
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    your story was more than inspiring!!! THANKYOU!!!!! and good job!!!
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome, congratulations!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    1. Congrats!

2. I was a little worried you were going to say there was "One Less Lonely Girl" and fess up to murder.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!