Knee Pain :)

Options
Any suggestions on how to minimize knee pain during high impact activities? I just started jogging. I love it, but the next day my knees are extremely sore. All suggestions are welcome: Shoes, Knee braces, stretches....Anything!

Thank you for your advice. Have a great day :)

11722185.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• eadaniel11
    eadaniel11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sorry...That should be a sad face on the Topic: Knee Pain :( , it's nothing to smile about.
  • BrittanyBurkey
    Options
    I am interested to hear any responses. I had a BAD dislocation a few years ago and my knee hasn't been the same since. If you have bad knees, though, cycling and swimming are supposed to be great alternatives.

Britt
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    wish I could help I have knee pain too but my is going to take surgey but thats because I had a pitch fork run through mine when I was little
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting has greatly alleviated my knee pain - especially squats, lunges and the like.
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    Try a knee brace. I sometimes use an elbow brace when I lift, helps support it a lot
    Check out amazon. I bought an underarmour brace there for $30 bucks but found 2 in a package of the same thing for $20
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    all i ca suggest is don't use it every day,at 1st and hopefully it will get stronger as you lose weight also! :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    sometimes your knees hurt because of tight muscles elsewhere that pull on your knees -- I experience that often because I work out so much..... I get knots of muscles in my butt cheeks - that pulls on my back and sometimes my knees and makes them feel sore -- also, my it bands, calf muscles, & hamstrings get tight, it pulls on my knees and my ankles! soooo. I foam roll - and often. It helps so much! You can google foam rolling and you'll find a ton of videos if you're unfamiliar with it... it basically is like a deep tissue massage but you do it yourself and it costs nothing more than the initial investment in a roller (less than $20) and some time! You can get foam rollers from places like walmart but they don't work as well because the 'foam' is not as dense and doesn't provide the deep tissue 'roll' most people need. I get mine from the place my gym gets them from - powersystems.com -- you can often get free shipping so it's like $17 and trust me, it is worth way more than that!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sorry my only suggestion is don't do high impact training if you have a bad knee, it will only make it worse. One time in 2006 I was walking my dog and I broke out in a slow jog. Later my knee started huring and it never stopped. It got worse and worse until every step was torture. I ended up having a bilateral knee replacement in 2008. Of course the job didn't create the problem I had had sore knees before but I have to say that small job was the last time I could even consider breaking out in a run.
  • KeeleySue
    Options
    The best advice is to go to the DOCTOR. There are a million different reasons for knee pain. Only your doctor can help you figure out the underlying cause and then help provide relief and manage the pain.
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    Look into barefoot running and barefoot style running. IE: naked feet or minimalist shoes. Essentially cushioned shoes are responsible for all your impact. Running is not high impact if done properly, and it's almost impossible in cushioned shoes.

Lots of good info out there.
    Good luck!

E
  • sweetptgrl
    sweetptgrl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As a physical therapist my reccomendation would be to try an over the counter knee brace and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then I would either try to see a physical therapist who does injury evaluations or your doctor. Make sure that you can see your toes when you do any squatting so that you don't put increased strain onto your knees. Running is not the best exercise so if you could try using the elliptical, that would help also. Make sure you are doing a lot of hip strengthening, as that will help your knee, and quad strengthening activities.

13304472.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Try a knee brace. I sometimes use an elbow brace when I lift, helps support it a lot
    Check out amazon. I bought an underarmour brace there for $30 bucks but found 2 in a package of the same thing for $20

This^^. But, be careful fitting yourself for one as it can be too tight and cause blood clots. I experienced this and was an unpleasant day of shots, meds, x-rays, etc. I went to my dr and she gave my ibuprofren and had me fitted for 2 knee braces. This has helped tremendously. She told me I had patella tendonitis. I do Beachbody programs and always look to modify on high impact jumps, etc. I also took off 12 lbs and this has helped a bunch too!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to go to the DOCTOR. There are a million different reasons for knee pain. Only your doctor can help you figure out the underlying cause and then help provide relief and manage the pain.

More great advice.....after many years of knee pain, I finally did this. It sucks and costs some dough but worth it if there is damage/etc...
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

^This. Find out WHY you have the pain first. Running could be doing more damage. :ohwell:
  • eadaniel11
    eadaniel11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful tips and suggestions. I think I'll stop jogging, and keep walking until I lose more weight. Then If it still continues to hurt I will see a Doctor. Thanks again and I wish you all the best.

11722185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I recently started having knee pain after running. I have been running since August and now run 4-5 miles at a time 3 x per week. Someone suggested to me when the knee pain started, that I needed new shoes and it's made a world of difference. I sometimes have knee pain, especially after my third run in a week, but a little ibuprofen, icing and some rest makes it better.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. You must rest it for a while and wear a brace. It really helped me. Now I am slowly incorporating some exercise into my daily routine.