I need some Christmas advice.

I'm recently single. Well, in reality my relationship has been over for months but I just recently moved out. By happenstance I've met someone. Now, we both agree that we want to take it slow and not jump head first into a serious relationship right now. I'm OK with that. It certainly looks like it's headed that way though eventually.

I like her. A lot. I've been down the 'rebound road' before and this doesn't feel like it at all. This feels like it was supposed to happen (if you want to believe the sappy RomCom plots) I don't subscribe to love at first sight but I certainly feel like some of this was out of our control.

Anyway, my question is, with Christmas coming up this weekend, should I get her something? I'm horrible at buying presents and generally I stick to just buying my son some stuff. I don't want to be fake, I don't really celebrate Christmas aside from being with family and friends. At the same time I want her to know how much I think of her. I'm not looking to buy a ring or anything. Just something small - something to say "hey, I dig you and was thinking about you."

Any thoughts?

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Yeah I would get her something small and inexpensive. Nothing too romantic, either. Something like a box of chocolates or something more specific to who she is and her interests.

It's a good question to ask. You don't want to give her something big because that's just too odd for such a new relationship.
  • Thanks man, that's what I was thinking. I certainly don't want to get her something too awkward. Maybe next year ;)
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Definately buy her something!!! Just something small and a card or note to let her know how much she lights up your day!!! You only have today to live in soooo LIVE IT TO THE FULLEST!!! Much luck on a GREAT X mas! :bigsmile:
  • A gift set from Bath & Body Works? Does she drink coffee... A Starbucks coffee set and cute Christmas mug? (You could find this easily at Target) Go to Kohl's and have an associate help you with a scarf and mitten set? These are all small things, but things I think any typical girl would love. (It's really the thought that counts) Or you could simply get her flowers and a thoughtful card :) Good luck!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    i think a card saying what you said in your post and maybe a book, dvd, or candle you think she'd enjoy? i was going to say gift card to amazon or somethign but with the $ amount and all that listed it might come off materialistic. i'd stay under 20$ :D
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    As a female, I agree with emurano............get her a small Christmas bouquet or candies or something sweet, but nothing too mushy or gushy. You don't want to scare the girl off, but you do want to acknowledge that there's something special going on :)

Much luck and success to you!

Merry Christmas :heart: :heart:
  • Think about this. Make her a homemade card with personized certificates (you pick the number) 5 or 10 for sure. These certificates are for things that you will do for her. For instance; CERTIFICATE FOR "ONE DINNER OUT ON THE TOWN".....Get creative and you can do it right now....
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Hmm, girls definitely love Victoria's Secret.
    They have amazing pjs, perfume, lotion and stuff.
    This all could be taken innocently.

But if you get her some lingerie of any sort - like an underwear, it could be taken too forward.
    Unless that's what you're going for. Hehe.

Good luck!!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Okay here is my take on what I just read. I read-"Now, we both agree that we want to take it slow and not jump head first into a serious relationship right now. I'm OK with that." Yet every thing else in the note says the contrary. What concerns me is this is something she chose by the words you are saying. It sounds like you are very invested in this relationship. How long have you been dating? Also, by saying looking like it is heading into the serious direction-how so? Like emurano said-something small and inexpensive sounds great-especially if you are taking it slow. Flowers maybe?
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Get her the ring! Nah only kidding, I agree as a woman a small gesture would definitely earn you brownie points!! I like the coffee mug and chocolates or a mini bottle of sparkling rose and glass set you see around at this time of year.
    Have a great Christmas and good luck!!!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 788 Member
    Yeah I would get her something small and inexpensive. Nothing too romantic, either. Something like a box of chocolates or something more specific to who she is and her interests.

It's a good question to ask. You don't want to give her something big because that's just too odd for such a new relationship.

This!
  • nalliebell
    nalliebell Posts: 61 Member
    you should give her something cute and inexpensive, maybe a cute Christmas bear holding a small box of chocoaltes, that way she still has the bear after Christmas. If you are still together years to come she will remember it.

I have been with my husband since I was 17 and I am going 40 next year, I still have the first teddy bear that he gave me (it says "beyond B@$%^") lol

wishing you all the best, follow your heart but don't forget to listen to your mind
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 577 Member
    This is a tough one. The idea of a gift is nice but could go wrong on so many levels. Definetely not romantic and definetely small. She may not get you anything and although you would be okay with that - she may feel really bad and you don't want that.

What does she like? coffee, restaurants, books, manicure, pedicure

Maybe you could just treat her to a nice dinner on Christmas Eve.
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Some gifts that are acceptable would be a bottle of wine or some nice, classy looking wine corks (if she drinks). You can get this at either Target or Pier 1. Also, a nice scented candle or a "functional" gift card (i.e starbucks or Mr. Carwash to have her car cleaned),
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    I agree with small and inexpensive, but not generic. How about a date night gift - like taking a cooking class together, tickets to a show or concert, or even dinner and a movie? If you get tickets to something make sure it's not too far in the future so you don't seem presumptuous. Wrap it up nice so that she has something to open, because that's the best part. Or if you know her well enough to know some of her favorite things, put them together to make a very thoughtful gift.
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    to clarify the wine corks can be purchased at Target or Pier 1. Also, if she likes cocktails or gourmet foods a gift card from Specs would be nice as well.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    I think you should :) Most of us ladies like candles and chocolates :) Just a little something that will let her know you thought of her, you know??
  • Thanks for the ideas everyone.
    Okay here is my take on what I just read. I read-"Now, we both agree that we want to take it slow and not jump head first into a serious relationship right now. I'm OK with that." Yet every thing else in the note says the contrary. What concerns me is this is something she chose by the words you are saying. It sounds like you are very invested in this relationship. How long have you been dating? Also, by saying looking like it is heading into the serious direction-how so? Like emurano said-something small and inexpensive sounds great-especially if you are taking it slow. Flowers maybe?

I'm not sure I follow what is contrary but I'll try to explain.

I like her a lot. She like me a lot too. We have made that very clear to one another. That being said, we have both recently ended relationships and aren't ready to stick our necks out just yet BUT we are very much open to spending time together to see what happens. The reason I say "it looks like it's heading that way" may be a bit presumptuous but knowing how she feels about me and how I feel about her, unless one of us royally screws the pooch it would naturally go in that direction. I hope.

Basically by saying we aren't looking for a relationship right now is saying that we like each other a lot but aren't sure we want to risk getting hurt right now.

I hope that clears it up.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    a starbucks gift card for her smart phone...
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    I vote "yes". Something small and thoughtful. Along with a card that lets her know you are thinking about her on Christmas.