I no longer listen to my own excuses.

Options
Hello new pals of MFP! This is my second day on this site and I am just wandering around the message boards; figured I should introduce myself and hopefully find some friends in doing so! :flowerforyou:

My name is Meranda, I'm 26 and from Augusta, Maine. Currently, I work full-time and go to school full-time so it would be safe to say that I spend about 40-75 hours hours a week at a desk. I started college last October 2010 majoring in Health Administration and should be getting my associate's sometime this Fall. The time between doing both is minimal and the free time I do earn used to often be spent watching movies, hanging with friends, going out to eat, and many other sedentary hobbies. I found that my life exhausted me MENTALLY, and it made me PHYSICALLY ACHE to even think about exercise. I'm sure many here can understand how that feels. I had a gym membership that began to gather dust because it was 'on the other side of town' [not to mention one of the PTs was an ex..awkward] so by the time I closed the books at night I just wanted to relax. I used to be very active playing disc golf, going dancing, hiking, swimming, and a list of other activities but over time my zest for being active just dwindled.

The last decade has been quite the roller coaster, both with my weight and just life in general. When things were down, my weight went up. When things starting looking up, my weight didn't seem to go back down. That logic took a toll on my appearance and confidence. Over time what looked at me in the mirror was not who I felt I was. I felt attractive on the inside but pictures began to 'lie' to me. That is when the excuses started. The camera adds pounds, the angle was horrible, I was just bloated....we all know that routine.

I have been through so much these last few years that I lost track of my life. Stress, time restraints, lack of energy, just everything - all began to control it for me. I was in a rut, and I had grown comfy just idling along or getting by. I turned into one of those 'tomorrow' people who always had a reason to be busy even if I wasn't doing ANYTHING. I became that person I used to despise and I began to annoy even myself. I doubt I am not the only one, but you question your sanity when you can't stand your own company.

This realization drew a conclusion that to make a change for the better and get back to being 'the old me I had to make some serious changes. I decided that 2012 was my year to make that happen (and not because it's the Mayan's apocalypse...don't even get me started). I started doing P90X, Yoga, and Strength training 30-90 minutes a day. I learned early that losing pounds was not nearly as exciting as losing inches. I don't get scale-happy as much now because I know the numbers at my feet may not change for awhile but I can visibly see my old clothes are started to fit again and that keeps me motivated to keep it up.

To end this on a positive note without turning it into a longer book than I already made it, here are some random conversation starters and I look forward to making some new friends! Hit me up!

1) Before my time was devoted to my online classes, it was often spent rocking out to Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Disc Golf, hitting up rock concerts, going dancing, and other adventures that created great memories. Several years ago I had started playing World of Warcraft which sucked the life out of me until I suspended my account. That game really is a black hole and can consume your life...and like an addict I sometimes still get withdrawals. :ohwell: I still miss it on occasion, and would love to meet some gamer friends on here. :-)
2) I have three cats and have accepted at an early age I will probably be a 'crazy cat lady.' I would love to have a dog and a ginormous fish tank if I had the space for one. Someday....I will have them all.
3) I've lived in Maine my entire life and have never traveled past Massachusetts in the states but I love to travel and want to hit every state and several more countries before my time ends. I have, however, been to France and Italy -- talk about an experience. AH-MAZING.

Replies

• Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You seem to have it all on lock down, but here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.

Remember, in life you can choose to be the thermometer or the thermostat, You can choose to be a victim of your environment, or you can choose to control it.

I won't say good luck because I don't think that has anything to do with it! :)
  • gabby840
    gabby840 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, Apazman!

I really appreciate the advice and thanks for writing back! Some of the tips I am already doing but others were ones I didn't bother to think of. I won't make MFP my homepage but I did bookmark it for quick access and make a special widget for the app on my phone. My phone almost never leaves my side so I check it constantly. Being at a computer all day means I am almost ALWAYS here now (of course I've only been here for two days so far) and on Facebook. I have really enjoyed reading some of everyone's stories from what I have seen so far. I've realized there are many out there looking to get in better shape but I just had to find them on MFP. :-) I have so many friends that talk the talk but never walk the walk [literally]. It is discouraging to partner up for support and then have your friend(s) bail. I realized I needed to stop relying on company to do my workouts and push myself with or without them. I have managed well, but I think MFP is going to give me that little extra drive when I start to get lax. So far I am doing P90X and yoga - which is working well for me but I'm learning that eating well is hard - mostly with portioning. Thankfully, I'm majoring in Health Administration so I have a ton of reading material about nutrition. In fact, I am currently in a Nutrition & Fitness class which has coincidentally been a nice convenience . :tongue: I love to lift weights and the P90X routines incorporate a lot of them. I push myself to be the best I can with every workout and I am finding it is getting very addictive. :-) And I always smile! :-)
  • ThenTheresChad
    Options
    Welcome, I'm new to this also:) I hope you meet you're goal of loosing weight! Remember positive attitudes always makes this easy! " You are you're own motivator! " I've learned not to depend on people to go working out with you either! You sound like your on the right track! Keep it up!:)
  • Kev383601
    Options
    Hello and welcome!!!!

I too was in a similar situation. My weight has fluctuated so much over the last 10 years, and I work a fairly active job. What Apazman said about checking the message boards is true....I'm on here all the time, and I really feel it helps me on my journey and keeps me motivated to continue to do well. I've been here a week, and already lost 3 pounds. Make sure you track everything. Also, I've made my diary public, and it's helped with people giving me feedback, etc on areas to improve my lifestyle to meet my goals!!!

Again, welcome, and feel free to add me as a friend! :-)
  • melbaby925
    Options

Oh....I love this! and it is so very true.

And just wait until you go past passively ignoring your excuses and start talking back to them. Just don't do it in public :wink:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You seem to have it all on lock down, but here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.
    I love this...I just suggest a slight modification to #2. Read the success stories, but don't let some of the negativity with some of the other posts get you down. There are a lot of people on here who are quick to give their own advice about what you MUST and MUST NOT do, based on what works for them. You really will need to find what works for you (within healthy guidelines, of course) and listen to your own body.

I also want to add a #11...work hard and wait for the compliments to come in as you SUCCEED!

Welcome and good luck!
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also new to this site, and don't worry, you're not the only one who didn't travel a lot! :wink: But in the last few years, I've done a lot of little trips here and there... mostly for muscle car parts... my boyfriend and I being addicted to those and having a few of our owns... And that was also an excuse for me to start loosing weight. Being the proud owner of a '67 Firebird, I would love to look like a nice chick when I get out of my car :laugh:

More seriously, once the painful observation is done, the rest is easier. What I found helpful was to make a program for myself (the days & minutes I wanted to train, as well as my calorie goal for each session), and I stick to it, no matter what. No excuses. And you know what? I'm actually running 3 days / week (slowly but surely), and I absolutely love it! It was a bit of a burden at the beginning, but not anymore. I have a hard time not to go running more than 3 times per week! So those two 'rest' days, I'm doing power walking. But during the week-end, I take it off. Do other stuff (spend time with the family, take care of the horses).

And what I red a lot, but didn't believe (until now), is that when you start exercise seriously, your food habit follows. I guess we just don't want to screw up what we worked so hard for.

Keep it up! You can do this! Feel free to add me!
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    welcome, its was lovely to read your journey of how you got here. You sound ready to do this which is brilliant. I have only been here a few weeks but the support really helps.
  • Carollies
    Carollies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been here for about 6 days, and I gotta say it's the best thing i've done. It really keeps me motivated. I hope you reach your goal!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are coming in to this with an open mind and willingness to succeed! I'm sure you will do well!

I've only been here for a few weeks, but it is amazing! I love it!

Welcome!

95981.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • gabby840
    gabby840 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for the responses! I love how much support is found here at MFP. I've been reading about everything under the sun and it's interesting to see what broke the camel's back for others to change their life around.

An additional question I have for anyone is what foods are best to eat (opinion, of course) for after workouts? I am usually starved and want to make sure I do not just hoover all that I lost in my workout but I am also a very picky eater...I'm doing research to find healthier alternatives for 'quick and easy.' Does anyone here own a weight scale and do they find it helpful or necessary to control portions? When I eyeball things, I typically SEE more than I actually need to eat. :wink:
  • speedyf
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat before running. When I come back, I take the time to enter all my run info, drink 2-3 glass of water and usually either 2 yogurt & 2 toasts with peanut butter as breakfast. And even if I thought at first that it wouldn't be enough, it usually is. If not, I might take a Special K Fruit Crisps as a snack (100 calories for 2 crisps) - those or yummy!

I never did own a food scale, and I personally don't think I would use it anyway. If really, at one point, I wasn't loosing weight anymore, then maybe I would try using one.
  • speedyf
    Options
    I did read that sometimes, the body signal between being thirsty or hungry wasn't always clear. So instead of eating something right away, I usually take a glass of water. Very often after that, I realize that I'm not hungry anymore.... Weird, but it works. And if not, well then I take a snack.
  • qrhs87
    qrhs87 Posts: 13
    Options

Oh....I love this! and it is so very true.

And just wait until you go past passively ignoring your excuses and start talking back to them. Just don't do it in public :wink:

I love it too!
  • qrhs87
    qrhs87 Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am also new to the site. I live in Massachusetts so we really aren't that far apart distance wise. You sound like you've already come a long way and are headed in the right direction.