Grapefruit Ideas?

Options
When I went shopping yesterday I decided to buy a lot of grapefruit instead of oranges and when I ate one today I realized they are not what I was expecting, and I don't like them. Well now I have at least 6 large grapefruits in my fridge and need a way to eat them that makes them taste a little better?

Replies

• jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I put stevia or some other sugar replacement on them and eat them with a graprefruit spoon, makes it slightly sweeter and they take awhile to eat
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle a little Splenda blend brown sugar on it, and microwave it for just about 20 seconds. Yummmy!!!
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I make sure to peel them very carefully... That thin white skin in between each section is what gives it the bitter taste, and I found that when i remove all of that skin I they're much less bitter and I actually like the flavor. That takes a lot of work and paper towels though lol

If you still don't like it after peeling each section separately then stevia works too...
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I make sure to peel them very carefully... That thin white skin in between each section is what gives it the bitter taste, and I found that when i remove all of that skin I they're much less bitter and I actually like the flavor. That takes a lot of work and paper towels though lol

If you still don't like it after peeling each section separately then stevia works too...

I thought about getting all the white skin off but figured it was alright on oranges so it couldn't be that bad.Well I will definitely put in the work to get if off of there if that's what is making it sooo bitter. And I got to get some fake sugar lol
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I thought about getting all the white skin off but figured it was alright on oranges so it couldn't be that bad.Well I will definitely put in the work to get if off of there if that's what is making it sooo bitter. And I got to get some fake sugar lol

Yeah, I think you'll notice a HUGE difference if you don't eat that skin. They're so yummy! It's worth the work. :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Section half of a grapefruit, sprinkle brown sugar and drizzle maple syrup on top, and then bake for 30 minutes on 300*F.
  • DBTFW
    DBTFW Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always cut off both ends of the grapefruit, then cut off the rest of the peel from top to bottom, removing all the white pith and the outer edge of each section all the way around. Put a bowl underneath as it's very juicy! I then use my knife to section out each individual segment. Sometimes you can work your knife down one side, scoot underneath it, and pop the whole segment out. It takes some practice, but it's worth it. I think you get a lot more grapefruit for the buck, and it's cheaper and probably healthier than buying the presegmented in jars.

They are not my favorite, so I have to use sweetener, too--EXCEPT for those Texas Rio Star red grapefruit that should be available very soon in my area (midwest). Those are so sweet that I can eat them as is. Meijer sells them by 18 lb bags in the winter (but just for a few weeks, and they aren't here yet), and we stock up!

I just read this, too (although this isn't the site I originally saw it): http://www.unclematts.com/blog/2011/05/new-research-suggests-grapefruit-can-play-a-role-in-weight-loss-success/
  • bbycarrot
    Options
    Bump!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate grapefruit - why is one of these suckers in EVERY fruit salad? :grumble:

Personally, I'd give em to somebody who likes them and buy oranges, but that's just me, haha.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Section half of a grapefruit, sprinkle brown sugar and drizzle maple syrup on top, and then bake for 30 minutes on 300*F.

This. except I broil mine.

Also, if you have a juicer, juice one grapefruit along with one orange and one peach - FANTASTIC.
    I also like fresh grapefruit in a blender with strawberries and champagne. You could substitute sparkling grape juice.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Try a Ruby Red, much sweeter than the white or the pink! If all else fails try juicing them with some pineapple.

Edit.... use a bit of the peel to get scuff marks off your tile or vinyl floors or drop some in the garbage disposal to freshen it up.