P90X: Question for those with lower back pain

Options
So my hubby and I just got our P90X and wanted to know if anyone with lower back pain issues used it and how you were able to complete the training.

My husband wants to purchase a foam mat (the one they suggest is way expensive) but I was wondering if doing the exercise on carpet is enough.

He has five ruptured discs in his lower back and has a lot of pain when he runs or jumps rope. He is, however, able to use low-impact machines like the elliptical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't done P90X but as someone with chronic lower back pain, it will really depend on what you can handle on your back. For me, I can't even do a simple crunch because of the pressure on my back. It's excruciating. I have to do sit-ups on an exercise ball. It's slower, but I can get similar results. For me, carpet wouldn't be enough.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    P90X is intense for a person with no medical issues... I think you will have to take a look at the videos and see what modifications you can do. Ab ripper is brutal and everything is done on your back... maybe it's a question you can post at teambeachbody and see what they suggest. I also think if you really want to do it, ditch all the exercises that can hurt your lower back and do the ones you can. I completed my first round with a lot of modifications and still had good results. Best of luck to you with the program.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do the ab exercises on carpet alone. Even with a thick mat, they hurt my lower back & tail bone.... i would suggest at least a mat for that and to use during the vinyasa yoga (the first section of the yogax dvd). I actually had to do a different ab video because i was unable to do the Ab Ripperx.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the plyometrics disc if that was me!!! I have chronic low back pain from years of nursing and the other workouts dont bother me, but I could never do plyo
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That sounds like great advice. I really appreciate it. We both want to get in shape really badly and his ultimate goal is to run a mud run with me so I guess we'll take it nice and slow.

Thanks again, all!

We will post our progress here.
  • davekaplan
    Options
    I'm with dawnemjh, be very careful or avoid Plyometrics. You can substitute Cardio X for Plyo and that might help. If your guy hasn't already, he should talk with his doctor about doing a program like P90X. The key overall could be to modify either way.

I've done P90X a few times and I can tell you that when I first started I couldn't finish the discs. I couldn't do the 90 days straight until about my 5 time... I'd say start slow, don't over do it. And definitely check-in with a BeachBody Coach at TeamBeachBody.

I also have a very sensitive tail bone, must have been learning to snowboard all those years ago. I found that if I fold up my yoga mat as much as i can, that gives a nice soft surface for Ab Ripper X.

Just like... Tony says, "Do Your Best and Forget the Rest" (learning all the other great lines is part of the fun). Keep pushing play, modify the moves and bring it! GOOD LUCK! P90X changed my life.

Kind regards,
    Dave
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I usually use two mats (on top of each other) for yoga and ARX. I have a lot of disc problems due to a car accident 1.5 yrs ago (mid back and neck, mostly), but the only things I've associated pain with are some of the yoga moves (like shoulder stands) and Dreya rolls (although with two mats they are fine for me). I have NEVER had problems with Plyo, which I think is because I land really lightly and softly. I usually do it barefoot, actually, which a doc would probably NOT recommend, but I find it helps me land a lot more gently.

Whatever the case may be, definitely listen to your body and MODIFY.
  • 2much32
    2much32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree to with Davekaplan...P90X will wreck a back...its a tough workout that gets harder (not easier)...the isolation exercises might be ok...but i would be checking with your family doctor...in my own opinion (and lots of reading)...if you only did sit ups (specifically crunches), chin up/pull ups, and push ups...you can accomplish most work out goals...throw in a pair of dumbells, and you've got everything you need...even more important is your diet...P90X will be a dissapointment if you're not absolutely committed to the diet
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree to with Davekaplan...P90X will wreck a back...its a tough workout that gets harder (not easier)...the isolation exercises might be ok...but i would be checking with your family doctor...in my own opinion (and lots of reading)...if you only did sit ups (specifically crunches), chin up/pull ups, and push ups...you can accomplish most work out goals...throw in a pair of dumbells, and you've got everything you need...even more important is your diet...P90X will be a dissapointment if you're not absolutely committed to the diet

I agree with the DIET being a HUGE factor! :)
  • deblc6836
    Options
    I have found P90X to be helpful with areas of chronic pain, and my brother would say that it cured his lower back pain (the Yoga was especially helpful, as well as Tony Horton's overall focus on warmup and stretching) However, I think 5 ruptured discs should probably disqualify a person from this workout...I would definitely discuss it with a doctor.
  • Delia_Jane
    Options
    I did not buy the expensive exercise mats either, I found some floor mats called "Soft Tiles", that fit together like a puzzle. I bought the colorful ones sold in pack of 8 to use in a kids room. Anyway, two of these mats put together is perfect size for me and it is very comfortable on the knees and back.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am on my third round of P90X and have had herniated back surgery in the past. I can do all of the moves with no modifications now, but I modified at first. Assuming you have discussed things with your doctor and have the green light, take Ab Ripper X slow...pause the DVD and get through the moves at your own pace. Do Plyometrics, but modify the jumping moves (watch Pam the Blam for the modified moves), wear comfortable cross trainers and INVEST IN THE THICKER MAT! It's worth it! Yoga will help with back issues (it helped with mine) and the vinyasa moves will strengthen your lower back muscles so that they are stronger and less prone to injury.

The keys here are get your doc's OK, modify when needed, and listen to your body...

Tony Horton shattered his knee when he was a teenager and does all of that crazy stuff you see...he preaches modification for those who can't go full...Listen to him, he's a wise man and an effing genious.