Invest in rice maker?

Hey I just wanted to know if I should invest in a rice maker? I currently make minute rice but I find it's to dry when I take it out for work. Any opinions?

Replies

• _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Yes absolutely, we use ours all the time. Very easy to use and you may end up saving money in the long run.
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Definitely! My fiance and I use ours all the time (we like to make sushi), the rice comes out nice and moist :)
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 614 Member
    LOVE my rice cooker! You'll never do minute rice again.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Totally do it.
    I've never had minute rice because it creeps me out, but I cook normal rice in a pot all the time and miss the rice cooker that my dad had when I lived there.
    Best, investment, ever!
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Yes! Love mine! Brand is Aroma,never sticks, perfect rice every time. And it's relatively inexpensive. :-)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    I throw some brown rice in my maker and forget it.

PERFECT - every time. One is just about as good as another.
    Go to WalMart - $20
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    I want one! Must be nice to just put it in and let go, I have to make a batch then store in tupperware!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Some can be used to steam vegetables. Win Win.....
  • gdsbt1
    gdsbt1 Posts: 9 Member
    I agree with the Aroma brand..........doesn't spit hot rice water all over the kitchen like my previous rice cooker. I bought mine at Walmart.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    I love my rice maker. When I lived in Hawai`i, I got hooked. I like sticky rice rather than fluffy so it works better for me!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    I have a really cheap one that I'll probably throw away when we move. Yes, you can do more than cook rice with one, but they're worth having and you'll save some $ in the long run.
  • Wow thanx for the feedback :-) Minute rice became unbearable to eat even if it was only a few hours after making it! NEVER AGAIN
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    YES, YES, YES!!!! I cook mine with chicken or veggie stock to add good flavor. Can eat this stuff for breakfast it's so good:bigsmile:
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Definitely get one! Get the kind with a little steamer bit you can put at the top so you can steam veg in there while the rice cooks. Super convenient if you like rice. And they come pretty cheap!
  • Haha, the rice maker is a cook's best friend. I bought mine almost ten years ago back when I was in college. BEST investment I ever made!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    Yes! I have an Aroma with steam basket so I can cook veggies at the same time. Fairly inexpensive too.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Just left my local walgreens drug store. They had a small 6 cup rice cooker/steamer on sale for $10! That might be a great starter cooker.
  • Lmao! Deffently made my decision to go and buy one. As long as it keeps my rice moist thoughout the day. Think I'm gonna puke if I eat anymore min rice.

Thanx for the feedback!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    I would strongly suggest using a pressure cooker instead. You can cook rice in it through the "pot in a pot method". I just bought a cheap $5 stainless steel pot and chopped off the handle so it fits inside and is raised off the bottom. This site has all the info and recipes.

http://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/how_to_cook_rice_in_a_pressure_cooker.php

Pros:
    - Cooks rice much faster - It's the way some restaurants do it
    - Cooks other foods faster - Perfect for families!
    - You don't get that crispy rice on the sides of the pot
    - You can use it for more than rice! 30min Chicken Broth, quick cook lentils, basically any slow cooker recipe supercharged.
    - No Teflon to worry about
    - Never boils over like a rice cooker does.

Cons:
    - Cost. It's an investment, but should last a lifetime unlike the heating element of a cheap made in china cooker.
    - Space, as they are a little bigger
    - Takes a little practice to get the timing right. You need a kitchen timer as 30-60 seconds sometimes makes a difference between soupy rice and cooked rice

FYI. I bought my wife the pressure cooker for Christmas 2 years ago after our traditional rice cooker stopped working. We use it at least once a week. Just make sure that's not the only gift you get her as she may hit you with it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Now THIS is a subject that I can get behind.

My mom never could make good rice and I grew up on Minute Rice, which isn't very tasty or nutritious.

When I got married, I made our rice in the microwave. 20 minutes in Corningwear and it's done.

Then, we moved to an apt that did not have updated enough electricity for us to nuke for 20 minutes at a time. I then graduated to an $8 white 3 cup steamer from Target....which we quickly outgrew and had to upgrade to a 5 cup. Now that steamer made goooooood rice. But at some point, the Teflon coating started wearing off and I would insert a crockpot bag to cook the rice in, in the steamer. DS felt eating from hot plastic was unhealthy and it didn't make brown rice so ...

I invested in a Panasonic 5 cup programmable rice steamer, from ebay. You program it for rice mixtures, white or brown. It has a timer, too. And note that it can make jam, quinoa, porridge, and other stuff too. I don't remember how much it was, maybe $60 or $80 ? I paid more for a black and silver one that doesn't show dirt, and I also paid more because most steamers are much larger than 3 or 5 cups and I didn't want a huge one.

Does any of that help you ?