What to do with Tofu? (for a lasagne type dish)

KahuNZ
KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
Hi
Does anyone have a recipe for a Tofu lasagne type dish. I have bought a block and made some fresh tomato sauce (Italian style with herbs). My idea was to have a lasagne but not sure what to do with the tofu - do I marinate it, fry it before adding to the dish? I want to add spinach and Parmesan to the dish as well.

Replies

• AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 169 Member
    My mum who is a vegan uses soft tofu for the cheese layer on the top, she usually blends it with a few things eg: soy milk, garlic etc so it's thick and creamy then spreads it over the top then bakes it.
  • Hi there!

I mash up soft tofu in the blender with garlic, lemon juice, pico de gallo, and parsley. I let it soak for approximately 30 minutes so the tofu to absorb the flavors. I use it on the top layer for a ricotta cheese substitute.
  • KahuNZ
    Thanks - both ideas sound great. I will try Charlies as I think it will fit in with my other flavours nicely, but I have to admit I had to google - pico de gallo :-)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Hey, I have a recipie from a book called Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry that I like called Parma Chameleon ;) I know, the whole book has funny names. It's basically chicken parmasean with tofu.

-slice tofu into 8 slices and pat dry with paper towel
    -coat pieces with egg and then a mixture of bread crumbs, parm cheese, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper
    -lay flat on sprayed baking sheet (I use the same cassarole dish you will use in 2 steps. Its fine as long as it's big enough to lay them all in a single layer)
    -bake for 8min, flip - carefully - bake an additional 8min
    -lay flat in cassarole dish
    -cover with your favorite tomato sauce, more parm cheese, and any left over bread crumbs
    -bake uncovered 15min until cheese is browned

It's very good especially if your not really into tofu ;)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    opps, double post.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Vegetable Pie from Cooking Light. It is made with marinara sauce, lasagna noodles and tofu. It was soooo good! My husband told me he didn't like tofu (I've never cooked it in the 20+ years we have been together), and half way through his 2nd helping, I told him it had tofu in it. He loved it and so did I! Try it! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/italian-vegetable-pie-10000000222962/
  • KahuNZ
    They sound good - as I have two blocks I can try one of the others suggested later this week and hope my partner doesn't notice the tofu :-)
    Thanks guys much appreciated.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    I make a ricotta-style filling using crumbled tofu, pureed butternut squash, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, chopped spinach, onions and lots of garlic. Layer with tomato sauce and lasagna noodles and bake - delicious!
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Go to the Happy Herbivore blog and read her recipe for ricotta style tofu. You just wrap the block in paper towel and press between two cutting boards with something heavy on top for 20 mins. Then crumble it up in a bowl so it looks like ricotta cheese and add nutritional yeast, italian spices, vegan parm, and garlic salt. Use that in between the noodle layers as your "cheese" with spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, and squash and you have a very delicious vegan lasagna :)