Garlic Bread

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
Anyone know of a good garlic bread recipe that's not as high in calories as the real thing?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    Options
    Anyone know of a good garlic bread recipe that's not as high in calories as the real thing?

• cristy333
    cristy333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake slices of french bread or some whole loaf you get from the bakery section of the grocery store. When it's fresh out of the over, cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the garlic over the warm bread. Believe me, a little goes a long way. I tried this without knowing how garlicy it would be, so i rub both sides. WOW. lots of flavor. You can spread some smart balance on the bread after you've rubbed the garlic and it will taste just good.

If you want a healthier garlic bread, just pick a better bread like a multigrain loaf..etc.
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get used to, but I've switched to Weight Watchers Whole Wheat bread. If I wanted garlic bread, I'd mix up garlic with a low-in-fat margarine, and I'd use the WW bread. Two slices of garlic bread would be just slightly over 110 calories, and might be enough to satisfy the craving.
    The other night, I had to have something more substantial than my usual fruit snack. I made a triple decker sandwich with 3 slices of WW bread, Ziggy's Extra Lean Ham, low-fat margarine, lettuce, and tomato. Considering how much it filled me up, it still came in at under 160 calories.

I'm learning - slowly but surely - that there are ways to stay in my 1200 calorie range, but still eat some of the foods I crave.
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    I brush the french bread with olive oil and garlic...it's great! Best to you always, Rick
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I use the 100 calorie English muffins. I put some spray butter on them with garlic powder and some parmasan cheese. Bake the for 5 mins. on about 425 degrees.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Sounds good- thanks everyone :flowerforyou: