lower weight/more reps vs heavier weight/less reps

Options
Hey guys!

So I'm pretty new to strength training and have a question.. which is better for weight loss/toning: lower weights/more reps or heavier weights/less reps? I do want to build muscle while I lose weight. I have heard that both are beneficial, but was curious as to what y'alls thoughts were?

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    heavy weight at the 4 to 6 rep range for strength. Not much size growth but lots of firming.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    If your goal is to build muscle, I say heavy weights at less reps (6-8 reps). Lightweights with higher reps are only good for muscular endurance but it doesn't do anything to increase strength.

However since you're new to this so I advice that you start first with learning the right form using lightweights of about 4-5 lbs. Then you can increase the weight as you get stronger.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bumping this -- I have recently added a regular weight-training regimen and I am curious about your question as well.
  • phoebe2488
    phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NickAmrine
    Options
    ok if you are looking to gain alot of strength then aim for between 1-5 reps and rest only about 90 seconds between sets (lower body and upper body)
    if you are looking to gain strength and muscle mass then aim for 6-12 reps and rest between 90 seconds and 2 and a 1/2 minutes between sets (upper body)
    if you are looking to gain muscle and strength in legs then lift 20 or more reps per set (lower body)
    and if you just want endurance and toning then aim for 13+ reps on upper body exercises (upper body)
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I do up to 12 reps at the moment of a weight that I can just do 12 reps off - my goal is to slightly tone but also bright my heartrate up to burn some calories. I've heard that lifting fewer/heavier is better for muscle grown.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about this too. I'm currently doing the lighter weights (5 lbs) at 15 reps per set, 3 sets. My muscles are definitely feeling it and getting stronger. (i'm referring to my arms- that's what i'm working on with strength training). i'm seeing more definition too. i'd like to know everyone's opinions!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

So I'm pretty new to strength training and have a question.. which is better for weight loss/toning: lower weights/more reps or heavier weights/less reps? I do want to build muscle while I lose weight. I have heard that both are beneficial, but was curious as to what y'alls thoughts were?

Building considerable size takes years and years of training. Women have about 1/20 the amount of testosterone men have so no you wont get huge, lift heavy get functional. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. Adding muscle increases your metabolism. That helps when you want to lose fat. When you lose fat, you will probably realize you lack the size anyway.
    Options
    if you are looking to gain muscle and strength in legs then lift 20 or more reps per set (lower body)

I think this applies to lighter weights. But what about if you're lifting heavier weights on lower body? Because I lift double the weight for my lower body so it goes like this: 15-20 lbs. for upper body & 45 lbs. for lower body at 10-12 reps.
    Options
    Hey guys!

Building considerable size takes years and years of training. Women have about 1/20 the amount of testosterone men have so no you wont get huge, lift heavy get functional. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. Adding muscle increases your metabolism. That helps when you want to lose fat. When you lose fat, you will probably realize you lack the size anyway.

I agree & actually women will get smaller, sans the steroids of course. Eversince I progressed to heavier weights, I found myself getting smaller without a change in my body weight & believe it or not, I started out with size L & now I wear size S clothes.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've been doing heavier weights about 3 sets of 6 reps for strength, I do hear muscle burns fat so.... I thought that 20 reps lighter weights took forever and bored me.
  • blockhead922
    Options
    We did this in my gym class last year haha
    We went on all of the different machines and curled/pressed the heaviest weight we could and recorded the one-rep max
    Then we took 75-80% of that weight and lifted that about 8-10 times and we would do 3 sets.
    It gradually builds muscle so you can keep improving.
    Here's a good chart to use after you record your 1RM
    http://www.builtlean.com/2011/08/17/one-rep-max-chart-how-much-you-can-lift/
    It's like a 4th of the way down the page. The reps are on the top and your 1RM is the left column, and it will give you a suggested weight per rep. I like more reps and less weight for girls because it does a better job toning the muscle
  • mjn710
    mjn710 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey Good Evening,

I want to first put out these disclaimers; before all of the critiques start their chastising.
    1) I welcome all critiques... but please back it by science; reference a real (and good) article
    2) Please don't quote something based on some research done by the non-governed supplement billion dollar industry
    3) I am not a muscle bound individual (you can tell that by my picture).... I am however fit and extremely knowledge in both the human body, it's process, and kinesiology and fitness

It's a great question; and one of high confusion.... let me get my first comment out that will draw so much critique
    1) It doesn't matter... it truly doesn't... muscle growth happens due to stress and rebuilding; easy as that.... and NO lifting routine cause greater stress than the other.... that was exquisitely proven by NASA (in conjunction) with the military comparing individuals in both their lifting routines (heavy weight low reps) vs their muscles lifted (whole body vs sets of muscles)... No difference period... and it is the gold standard to which all other studies are held accountable. Others (Fitness "experts", supplement industries), will get you to believe that theirs is the best and only way so you buy their products and information while they make money off of you.

2) What does matter:
    - Most Importantly that you like your lifting routine and it fits in to your time and life. Because commitment is the Single most important thing.
    - That you stress your muscles to induce the cellular process that signal regrowth and building (again, the way you get there does not matter as far as high/low many/few reps
    - That you provide the nutrition to rebuild your muscles... (again, this is so hotly debated about how much protein is need; and again most of this is not back by true science...it is studies backed by the multi billion dollar industry to get YOU to by More protein) Don't get me wrong protein is extremely important but if you look at true scientific studies the actual amount of protein needed is realistically 1g to 1.5g /KG (not lbs) which is roughly 1g to 1.5g/2.5lbs and this is based off your Ideal Body Weight... NOT the current weight if you are out of shape or are Obese (BMI >25). An important caveat here is that the type of protein does matter; the micronized or fractionated proteins are simply easier for the gut to absorb...
    - That you provide rest for your muscles to rebuild while supplying them the nutrients that is needed
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

What you are wanting to do is lose fat and maintain LBM.

Fat loss requires:
    calorie deficit through diet and exercise
    adequate protein (I aim for 1g/lb of BW minimum)
    resistance training (progressively increasing weights to challenge yourself)

These are to promote the preservation of lean body mass.

The resistance training part: I would recommend a full body compound workout for beginners that focusses on squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows & pullups (lat pulldowns).

8reps of 3 sets for each. Do it 3x a week. Up the weight by a small increment each time you reach 8x3. If you fail to progress 3x in a row drop the weight 10% and go again. If you continually fail then it means something is up with the diet or recovery.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    bump !
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

What you are wanting to do is lose fat and maintain LBM.

Fat loss requires:
    calorie deficit through diet and exercise
    adequate protein (I aim for 1g/lb of BW minimum)
    resistance training (progressively increasing weights to challenge yourself)

These are to promote the preservation of lean body mass.

The resistance training part: I would recommend a full body compound workout for beginners that focusses on squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows & pullups (lat pulldowns).

8reps of 3 sets for each. Do it 3x a week. Up the weight by a small increment each time you reach 8x3. If you fail to progress 3x in a row drop the weight 10% and go again. If you continually fail then it means something is up with the diet or recovery.

Great advice from Chris. Don't be afraid to lift heavy!
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate all of the advice and support!