At What Point Should You Call Yourself A Runner?

Options
I have seen this issue numerous times in another website so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts would be here.
At What Point Should You Call Yourself A Runner?
Should there be a certain distance? A certain Pace? A certain Race?
Why are there two different terms jogging and running?? I personally feel that if you do any running at all you should be called a runner and it shouldn't matter how fast you run or if you have never ran a race. I feel that a jogger is a runner!
Thoughts?

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I agree with you. I considered myself a runner the day I started running again and knew I would keep at it. :bigsmile:
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I personally think that if u run any slower than 10 min miles u are a jogger...a runner is anything faster! Nothing scientific to back me up, just IMO..lol so therefore I'm a jogger that likes to run occasionally! :-D
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I dislike the word "jogger" when applied to me. I figure that I'm putting effort into my pace and therefore deserve to be called a "runner", no matter what my pace!! If I get to be 90 years old and I'm still schlepping it out there completing marathons, -- even if it takes me all day to do it!! -- I'm going to hit anyone who refers to me as a "jogger" with my cane!

Oh and you get to call yourself a "runner" when you commit. :D
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. I have wondered it myself. I run/jog/walk 3-4 times a week (a good week, sometimes it's only 2 if it's a bad week) for anywhere to 30-60 minutes or for 1-3 miles. The treadmill is set from 3.0 to 4.0 mph. When can I consider myself a runner. I don't know why it matters to me but it does. I'd like to say I'm a runner, but I don't think I qualify yet because I don't run the entire time and I'm slow. It will be interesting to see what others consider a "runner" to be.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I dislike the word "jogger" when applied to me. I figure that I'm putting effort into my pace and therefore deserve to be called a "runner", no matter what my pace!! If I get to be 90 years old and I'm still schlepping it out there completing marathons, -- even if it takes me all day to do it!! -- I'm going to hit anyone who refers to me as a "jogger" with my cane!

What is considered "commitment"
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've done a short 5k race at a 10 min mile pace and I still don't call myself a runner.
    If ever I get my pace faster I probably still won't call myself that.
    I call my husband a runner because that's been his lifelong thing.
    He ran track in school. He's run marathons and competitive relay races. It's just a label.
    I dislike labeling myself. Call it whatever makes you happy.

I run or jog.... The important thing is you get up out and do it, not what you call it.
    I don't care what people call me - jogger, runner, it's better than being called lazy.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    if you're doing the motion of running, then you are a runner. Doesn't matter if it's a 14 minute mile, or a 6 minute mile... I considered myself a runner once I fell in love with it. Took about 5 weeks of the Couch to 5k to really like it, took another year for me to REALLY love it. :happy:
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    What the heck, why would you denigrate someone's commitment to getting out there by calling it "jogging?"

I think you're a runner as soon as you're out and moving a few times a week with both feet in the air at the same time. Just do it :)

I really "felt" like a runner though after I was able to do a few miles at a stretch a few days a week. For some people, it takes a short race like a 5K. BUT JUST GET OUT THERE -- speed doesn't matter, just staying in motion does, IMHO.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I call a runner any person who is out side and doing a faster pace than walking.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    if you're doing the motion of running, then you are a runner. Doesn't matter if it's a 14 minute mile, or a 6 minute mile... I considered myself a runner once I fell in love with it. Took about 5 weeks of the Couch to 5k to really like it, took another year for me to REALLY love it. :happy:

I can totally relate here! It takes awhile to fall in love with running and I think that's why so many people think runners are crazy because they don't stick with it long enough to love it!!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am a runner even if a lot of people would call me a wogger. :laugh:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

What is considered "commitment"

When your neighbors watch you run in the heat, rain, sleet and snow and think that you should be "committed" to an insane asylum. ;)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In my view, a jogger is someone who runs/jogs for fitness or fun. It isn't derogatory. A runner is a serious athlete who competes with an expectation of placing, or competes at a high level (e.g. Olympics).

I go jogging from time to time. I covered 11 km the other day at a 9 min mile pace (just under 11 kph). I felt pleased with myself, but injured my foot because I hadn't trained for it and didn't have proper footwear.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I have posted this quote many times. It's so appropriate for this thread.

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for 20 years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.~ John Bingham
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Ehh I used to think if you can ran you were a runner. But I think you need to be dedicated to it to really be a runner. Running every other month during a full moon doesn't qualify you. Pace doesn't matter. But a dedicated enthusiasm to the sport makes you a runner...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you run, then you are a runner.
  • leopardvice
    Options
    I have posted this quote many times. It's so appropriate for this thread.

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for 20 years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.~ John Bingham

i like it. i was going to say i think its more about lifestyle than number of races or miles ran. if you run and you enjoy running you are a runner.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yup
    If you run, then you are a runner.
    Yup
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I call myself a jogger... But these days that is discouraging me. I have to put forth more effort for even my "awesome" 12 minute miles due to uncontrolled anemia due to heartburn.

My reason to get on that treadmill?

BECAUSE I LOVE IT. Plain as that.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

I can totally relate here! It takes awhile to fall in love with running and I think that's why so many people think runners are crazy because they don't stick with it long enough to love it!!

Agree! And I've been with it for almost 4 years and it's still my favorite form of exercise...it's my easy workout now ;)