New to this site-start date this week

Options
:smile: Hi guys new here and new to working on weight loss plan. I don't own scales but I know my start weight because I got it from my physicians office when they weighed me! Do I need to buy scales? I have alot to lose! I am 53 and have a one year old grandson. I want to get in shape so that I quit looking like a grandma and look like I looked a few years ago!

Replies

• lynnstoll
    Options
    Definitely buy the scales. My sister bought me one that allows me to save my weight from one weigh-in to another so I can see if I gained or lost. It is really helping me to stay on track. It allows 4 people to track their weight loss. Also, dedicate yourself to logging everything you eat every day. I have a new perspective I have never had before in my 45 years of my battle with weight loss. I just did not want to write everything down and try to figure out how many calories and carbs were in what I ate. This is easy. Also, I think this is helping my stomach to stay shrunk after a recent illness. I do not want to be able to put a lot of food in my stomach and feel uncomfortable. Hope this helps.
  • Sweetrayray80
    Options
    I don't think you need to buy one, but it is nice to have one in the house. That way when you weigh yourself you can do it the same day/time every week. I also like to weigh in with the least amount of clothes. However, if you can't get one yet...alot of Grocery store and pharmacies have scales. Just go to the same place every week and try to wear the same clothing. This site is a tremendous resource. Just follow your calories, and make sure you break your calories up into 5 to 6 smaller meals all day. Best of luck!
  • zenshe
    zenshe Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome Claire (-: For myself, I have found a scale to be helpful. I will weigh myself once a week on the same day of the week with the same clothes on. In the past, this has worked well for me. That being said, what works for one person might not work for another. I just started logging my food intake yesterday, 12/19/11. I am 50-yo and I want to lose 55 lbs. Let's encourage each other.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day first thing in the morning. Expect your weight to go up and down because of water, but over time it should go down more and more as you watch what you eat and exercise. I think weighing yourself is essential because otherwise you will have no idea how your doing. It is also motivational for me because if it goes up slightly that really makes me try harder that day as I want to see it go down. And on the days when it's at it's lowest point I am happy and check in on this site! :D
  • zenshe
    zenshe Posts: 14
    Options
    (@Sweetrayray80) What a GREAT suggestion to break-up your calories into 5 to 6 small meals all day. Thank-you for reminding me of this; it really does help and works!
  • claireputput
    claireputput Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks! I'll see what kinds are out there!
  • gjc50
    gjc50 Posts: 35
    Options
    hi, i have a 2 yr old grandson and i to want to lose and be fit and be able to chase that boy around!
  • claireputput
    Options
    :happy: LOL-your pic does not look 50 or 50 over! Sounds good, I can use a friend with the same needs!
  • claireputput
    Options
    :smile: Thanks, I will be looking at some though-easier that way!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • UTChristine146
    UTChristine146 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! I'm ready to do this! =)
  • davewiard
    Options
    Definitely get the scales. As you enter your food and exercise data, in conjunction with knowing what time of day you ate what foods, you can get a better sense for how your eating habits affect your daily weight and your overall weight trend. It's very handy to have a daily checkpoint first thing in the morning before I eat breakfast.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the family......lol,

I have a scale and use it to help me stay sane......I too have grand children (4), ages range from 4 to 10 and they are my pride and joy....get motivations they are........
  • claireputput
    Options
    LOL-are all those yours? And wow, did I read that weight lose right?
  • claireputput
    Options
    Hi there family and I guess you are all three doing this and I am so not sure I am doing any of this right-LOL-posting that is!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I love this site and all the support I get from my new friends on here. As for the scales, they help me to know my progress. Another good way is to take your body measurements every so often and see how many inches you lose. ( I need to take my own advice, as I have not measured) I also am 53 years old and I have 3 grand kids. I have lost 55 lbs. since January (only been on MFP since March I think) I still need to lose about 30 or more. This site makes it easy to figure the calorie intake. I am sending you a friend request. I would love to be a motivator and also be motivated by you if you would like. As for the posting it will become easier as you figure this out.
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy the scales. You'll never regret getting in shape. I started in November of 2010 and have currently lost 84 pounds and have hit my goal weight and more. MFP has been a fantastic way to stay motivated. :)
  • claireputput
    Options
    The buy def outweigh the not - so Thursday the scales come home! Thanks
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    if you have alot to loose, then yes you defo need scales :laugh:

this site is awsome, you will make some really nice, supportitive and motivational friends to help you on your journey.

feel free to add me - always welcome to help new friends on their way to success :) x
  • MissOphelia
    Options
    Hi :) I'm new too! I have to say that I think buying a scale is a good idea. I don't recommend weighing yourself every day, though. I find that when I do that I start to get discouraged when my weight fluctuates and I become too fixed on a number. I've had problems with that in the past and I've come to realise that being happy with how you look is more important than the number on a scale. That being said, a scale is a great way to check in every week and keep yourself motivated! If you'd like you can add me so we can have even more encouragement! :)