Went hiking today, calories burns seems too high *HELP*

Options
LiMer
LiMer Posts: 112 Member
Okay, so I went hiking today at Taylors Falls. I hike all the trails twice. Just sat down for less then one minute to catch my breath and took a couple of bathroom breaks. It took 4 hours and 15 minutes. Some trails was hard, up and down hills, rocks, lots of stairs. Some trails were easy, just like walking on gravel. I don't have a Heart Rate Monitor so does not know exactly calories burned. I really did sweat alot and felt great after.

When I log on MFP, under hiking, it says hiking, cross country and for 4 hours (240 minutes) it says 1753 calories burned. This seems so high and unbelievable. So it it really?

I divide this by 2 and logged that I burn 800 calories. Does this sound fair?

Please advice. I want to log as correct as possible.

Thank you.

Replies

• LiMer
    Options
    Okay, so I went hiking today at Taylors Falls. I hike all the trails twice. Just sat down for less then one minute to catch my breath and took a couple of bathroom breaks. It took 4 hours and 15 minutes. Some trails was hard, up and down hills, rocks, lots of stairs. Some trails were easy, just like walking on gravel. I don't have a Heart Rate Monitor so does not know exactly calories burned. I really did sweat alot and felt great after.

When I log on MFP, under hiking, it says hiking, cross country and for 4 hours (240 minutes) it says 1753 calories burned. This seems so high and unbelievable. So it it really?

I divide this by 2 and logged that I burn 800 calories. Does this sound fair?

Please advice. I want to log as correct as possible.

Thank you.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    That does sound pretty accurate. When I ran for 3 hours I burned around 2000 calories because it was 20 miles and hiking is much more difficult because of the different terrains that you went through. I'd say just don't eat all 1753 extra but replenish your body! Great job by the way :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I would agree too. I have a heart rate monitor and I a few weeks ago I went walking for 150 min. (sometimes fast, sometimes slow but all on a flat trail) and I burned 800+ calories.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I burn 2000 - 3000 calories in an average day (6 - 8 hours) of hiking, so that seems reasonable for 4.5 hours.
  • LiMer
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone. This is the most calories I've ever burned. I'm feeling really good and can't wait to do this again.