Conundrum

Options
So I'm 5'10 and weigh about 146.5lbs. Everything I've read said that is a healthy weight for my height (a healthy, average BMI being 22 and I'm around 21 or so) and I'm happy with my legs, arms, neck, face....just not my stomach. Its flabby and I have love handles.

I know the way to burn stomach fat is to do cardio to lose fat and strength training to tone. And I work out every day (cardio and strength training) Now here's where my problem starts...

It seems no matter how much cardio I do and weight I lose, no flab leaves. The lowest weight I've been at this height is 139...and even then my stomach looked the same as it does now and as it did at 160 (my heaviest).

Any suggestions on how to lose that stubborn fat without waiting til I'm underweight?

Replies

• ThomasTheTrainr
    ThomasTheTrainr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

That is a common conundrum but quite a conundrum nonetheless. The midsection can be a tricky area and is often the last place we lose bodyfat. Despite what you have heard about cardio and strength training remember one thing,

Abs are made in the kitchen.

The ratio of carbs to fats to protein in your diet could very well be whats holding you back from your toned tummy.

How is your diet?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 134 and believe it or not I have the same problem SOMETIMES. I say sometimes because.. well it's weird but on some days I'll be really tight and nothing sticking out, and then suddenly I'll look like pillsburry doughboy the next day - I think the cells in that area are really good at sucking up and retaining water in some of us.. with the right diet and exercise, including cardio and core work, it should really trim down.
    Good luck!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Abs. I've done the NROL for women and that's amazing and when I said on their website that I wanted core strength and to reduce my stomach the author advised that book over NROLFW.

Cardio won't reduce fat as much as weights will. Lift and lift heavy.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    lift heavy! its possible for anyone.

Also, planks are legit.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You're right that you're at a healthy weight. So don't focus on losing weight. Focus on trying to reduce your body fat percentage by maintaining your weight through strength training. You can cut your body fat percentage lower and that will help your abs show through!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love the word "conundrum"
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You're right that you're at a healthy weight. So don't focus on losing weight. Focus on trying to reduce your body fat percentage by maintaining your weight through strength training. You can cut your body fat percentage lower and that will help your abs show through!
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS