"She's got a pretty face"

Options
I'm really sick of hearing that. Sorry for the semi rant, but after hearing this today, It's got me kind of down. My one friend Adrienne told me that her one friend tony said I was cute. I was flattered but then she said something about him thinking I have a pretty face. She told me that he said "yeah, she's got a pretty face...she's heavier set, but shes got a pretty face" That kinda hurt, ya know? I'm SOOO sick of being just a pretty face. :( I'm going to think about those words next time I get on the treadmill and the next time I want to eat something bad...

Replies

• Tjm288
    Tjm288 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've heard that alot...I hate that.....it makles me feel pretty sad...like the rest of me isnt pretty....but i always tell my self its better then some one saying shes got a nice body and ugly face! Ha :0 :)
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    I'm one of the unfortunate people that gained weight, and the face didn't stay pretty, so I haven't had that experience. But I can just imagine how frustrating and even, sabotaging, to one's weight loss effort. Whether you are pretty or not should never be tempered by the "for a heavyset girl/for a big girl". Keep your chin up and show them you are much more than just a pretty face:)
  • nikicrin
    nikicrin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's not nice to hear although if you squint and tilt your head to one side it looks like a compliment... On the other side Of things my male friends call girls butter face... When I asked what they meant they said well everything's nice, but her face!

Sod them, you're gorgeous x
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Well in my case I experiencing the opposite. When I was fat, they say I got a pretty face but when I lost the weight they now say I look dehydrated although in reality I only look like someone weighing 45 kgs. (100) but I actually weigh 54 kgs. (120). because of my heavy weight lifting program.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    One day you will have the body you are working towards, and you'll be happy you were blessed with a beautiful face. You'll be a knockout and make guys like that eat their words.

And trust me, despite what you hear, for most men, it's about the face not the body. If I had to choose, give me a pretty face over a pretty body any day.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Folks, people are really saying "your fat, and if you slimmed down, you'd be beautiful."

They are being unkind but don't realize it.

Cut the world some slack, and just be aware that the truth of the matter is none of us would be here now if we did not agree that being fat is just unattractive. I don't confess this often, but at the height of my obesity, my wife nearly ceased physical relations.

She said it was due to stress at work, this and that. And then she admitted it. "I just do not find you attractive this fat".
    OUCH! I have lost 65 lbs, and after the first 40, her passion returned little by little. Today we're better than ever.

As hurtful as it was to hear, I used that pain to address the problem.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Bobby. The truth hurts but do something about it or just remain "a pretty face".

People will judge all the time and if you take everything to heart then you're already behind in life. Decide that it bothers enough to do something about it or just take it as someone's opinion.

My ex visited me and we went out to lunch one day and she just plain called me fat. Ouch, that hurt but I have to thank her for giving me the motivation to get it together. Sucks that someone closer to me couldn't say something earlier but "they would love me anyway" (I hate the political correctness thing)

Please don't take this as offensive because this is just my opinion...
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I heard this for years growing up. Now...Im 52lbs thinner..with another 23 to go...and my sex life with the hubby is way better...because I feel sexier..healthier. He has definitely came out ahead on this one! lol