WHats your favorite "easy" amd portable protein?

Options

Replies

• fit4everyoung
    Options
    almonds!

Not when you have cals to watch. 1/3 cup = 180 cals and ONLY 6g protein

Agree, you can easily have extra calories. Good to measure and control portions!
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    nuts may be higher in calories, but it really just comes down to personal preference. I portion mine out, and I'd much rather personally get my protein from raw nuts than protein powders and processed protein bars. plus they taste so good!
  • mtbRN
    mtbRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to mix vanilla flavored protein powder in my coffee, I mix the powder with cold water ( for some reason the brand I use won't mix very well with hot water) then use it like a creamer. I like to use the Starbucks instant vanilla coffee packs since no one else in my house drinks coffee. Put it in a travel cup and off to work I go! Tastes good and is a good way to sneak in that protein without having to eat so much meat.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    think thin bars but they are pretty high calorie, also protien shakes..just add water
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    nuts may be higher in calories, but it really just comes down to personal preference. I portion mine out, and I'd much rather personally get my protein from raw nuts than protein powders and processed protein bars. plus they taste so good!

There are a LOT of other sources to get protein.. protein powders and processed protein bars are not the only way.
    But ok if you like to get measly protein that's up to you.
    Why would you want 6g of protein for 180 cals when for the same cals you can get 20g from cottage cheese for example. Unless your protein goal is 20g/day - and with your almonds that's over 550 cals :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    almonds!

Not when you have cals to watch. 1/3 cup = 180 cals and ONLY 6g protein

Say average female aiming for 100g protein. All from almonds. 3000 cals just from almonds. Hmm... any ladies here intaking 3000?

100 g of protein is a loooooot of protein. A 150 pound woman really only needs about 60 g of protein.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Not really. I always aim for 1g/lb of bw & in general any one that is training hard should be somewhat similar (or LBM if they are higher BF%). I avg about 200g a day easily. I could have a heap more if I wanted.

I prefer to go by the standards of peer reviewed studies rather than a vegetarian organisation.

Cease 6000cals from nuts for 200g of protein :tongue:

edit: and protein is MORE important while cutting weight than bulking.
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like to mix vanilla flavored protein powder in my coffee, I mix the powder with cold water ( for some reason the brand I use won't mix very well with hot water) then use it like a creamer. I like to use the Starbucks instant vanilla coffee packs since no one else in my house drinks coffee. Put it in a travel cup and off to work I go! Tastes good and is a good way to sneak in that protein without having to eat so much meat.

thanks for the great idea, I am going to try this! :-)
  • Tjm288
    Tjm288 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky hahaha yum!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I am not a fan of protein bars and shakes so what really works for me:

1. Nuts (almonds and walnuts mainly)
    2. Egg whites (when I am on the go I poach them from before and eat them with a slice of bread or a rusk)
    3. Greek Yogurt
    4. Tuna bagel

That's when I am on the go and need something. Otherwise there are a lot of options!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are a great source of healthy fats, but not your best option if you are looking at fitting in more protein. Loads of other options on that front.

Allmax Whey Isolate is my go-to protein powder as well, although I cheaped out recently and bought Kaizen at Costco for $40 (5lb!). The chocolate is tasty and it mixes well.

Eggs, egg white substitutes, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, soy, complex carbs like quinoa and millet, and legumes are all awesome sources of protein and have a much lower calorie count per serving if you are looking to bump up your protein without bulking.

Fats are necessary and delicious. But fat and protein are not one and the same.

Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken, greek yogurt, quinoa (good carbs too), tofu, i would say nuts but just careful of portions because you'd be surprised how many calories you consume!
  • servilia
    Options

There are a LOT of other sources to get protein.. protein powders and processed protein bars are not the only way.
    Why would you want 6g of protein for 180 cals when for the same cals you can get 20g from cottage cheese for example. Unless your protein goal is 20g/day - and with your almonds that's over 550 cals :)

Quoting myself here just to correct myself. I was doing some math during my morning coffee and realized that for 180 cals of low fat cottage cheese, I actually get 40 (yes, FORTY) grams of protein. Versus the 6g from almonds for the same cals.
    ps I just realized my previous post sounded a bit curt.. sorry!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Quoting myself here just to correct myself. I was doing some math during my morning coffee and realized that for 180 cals of low fat cottage cheese, I actually get 40 (yes, FORTY) grams of protein. Versus the 6g from almonds for the same cals.

Yeah because when I'm out and about nothing says awesome snack like a tub of cottage cheese I haul around ;-) Moderation and where are you getting your numbers?

100g (3.5oz) of cottage cheese has 11.12grams of protein. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_cheese)
    100g (3.5oz) of almonds has 22g of protein. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almonds#Nutrition) Also the vitamin and nutrition benefits far outweigh the same amount of cottage cheese.

calories = 1/2 cup cottage cheese is 70 calories and 5.56 grams of protein
    calories = 1/2 cup is 273 calories and 10.1 grams of protein. 10 large almonds = 70 calories.. so You are talking almost 40 almonds in that 1/2 cup equivalent.. I don't think many people would take that many nuts at once for a snack.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    calories = 1/2 cup is 273 calories and 10.1 grams of protein.
    So according to your figures (which I haven't checked btw):

Cottage cheese "costs" 12.59 calories per gram of protein
    Almonds "cost" 27.23 calories per gram of protein.

So as a source of low calorie protein, cottage cheese looks to be the winner.

Unfortunately, cottage cheese needs to be kept refrigerated so I don't count that as "portable".
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    QUEST high fiber protein bars.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My go to fast food- sardines. I'll peel an avocado and mix it with my sardines and I am good to go. Stinky? Yes. but sooo filling. I sometimes have to remind myself to eat after eating sardines and avocados!
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked. I cook 4 cups of dried red beans. Then I blend it with oregano and chili powder and freeze it in 1/2 cup portions in sandwich bags. Then I put wasa crackers and the beans in a platic container and off I go. This keeps your digestive system going also, and does not spill.

I love this idea. Good protein and fiber. Thanks for sharing.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    BUMP For later:flowerforyou:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    calories = 1/2 cup is 273 calories and 10.1 grams of protein.
    So according to your figures (which I haven't checked btw):

Cottage cheese "costs" 12.59 calories per gram of protein
    Almonds "cost" 27.23 calories per gram of protein.

So as a source of low calorie protein, cottage cheese looks to be the winner.

Unfortunately, cottage cheese needs to be kept refrigerated so I don't count that as "portable".

Yes very much so, but people shouldn't over look almonds as a nice simple portable snack because they do offer other health benefits over cottage cheese as well as give protein.
  • servilia
    Options

Yeah because when I'm out and about nothing says awesome snack like a tub of cottage cheese I haul around ;-) Moderation and where are you getting your numbers?

100g (3.5oz) of cottage cheese has 11.12grams of protein. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_cheese)
    100g (3.5oz) of almonds has 22g of protein. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almonds#Nutrition) Also the vitamin and nutrition benefits far outweigh the same amount of cottage cheese.

calories = 1/2 cup is 273 calories and 10.1 grams of protein. 10 large almonds = 70 calories.. so You are talking almost 40 almonds in that 1/2 cup equivalent.. I don't think many people would take that many nuts at once for a snack.

My cottage cheese (dry pressed, 0.5% fat) has TWICE as much protein as what you quoted above.. it has 11g of protein and 50 cals per 55g of the cheese 50 calories.
    I get my numbers from the product label and product website, which is more specific than wikipedia which may or may not be talking about the same type of cottage cheese (dry pressed) or the same fat%, which in my case is 0.5 :) .