the link between depression and energy?

Options
okay so i have depression and a lot of the time i will have such low energy that i cannot even get out of bed, let alone work out. May I add that I actually LOVE working out which is why this is pissing me off so much.
Help anyone?

Replies

• aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    be really interested in the answers to this

are you medicated and if so is that causing your total lack of energy
    perhaps a different med will help

if you get worse during the darker months
    seriously consider a light box for therapy - I have one for the first time this year and I do feel much better for it - on days I use it I do have more energy and motivation - I should remember it daily
  • therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have depression as well. I know that depression does affect your energy levels though, and I've been trying to find answers for this too. Hoping someone chimes in!
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey Beauty! as you know I suffer from OCD (I take medication) and depression (only occassionly now thank goodness) I can relate to not being able to get up etc.....some days I literally just couldn't get up or speak to anyone, the thought of it was just too much to bear....during those times when I was really bad I learnt to just accept those times (it takes a lot of practice!) of course I wouldn't let it go on for days, but one or two I would just go with it and then tell myself if I allowed myself this time then I had to start moving again...I would literally then force myself to do it, as hard as it is, you find that once you actually start moving it gets just that little bit easier, I know it's not easy because it's the last thing you want to do, even having a shower is an effort! feeling down really takes the energy out of you, so it's important to keep eating properly....I was clinically depressed for 9 months a few years ago, I live alone as my husband worked away...I felt so alone....during that time I thought I would never get through it but I did....just really small steps at first and you will start to feel a little better...xx
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    First have you actually been diagnosed with depression? You always should have medical causes for low energy ruled out (ie thyroid, vitamin deficiency etc). Second are you getting treated for depression? Depression is a syndrome, meaning it is a bunch of symptoms lumped together, not just low mood. Low energy is a symptom. Third, exercise can improve depression, but obviously only if you can get yourself to do it. Therefore it's more important to kickstart yourself another way, certain antidepressants can target low energy, motivation, and fatigue. I would see a psychiatrist (or at the very least your family doctor) to address this. Also I agree with the above poster regarding a light box, but that's not necessarily enough by itself, as the e evidence is not all there. It certainly won't hurt. Finally often times sleep is dysregulated in depression and working on better sleep habits and patterns can be a good start too.. Hope you feel better!

And p.s. I also believe in the saying "fake it til you make it" so if you can force yourself to start being active in any way then absolutely do it!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm a psychiatrist, here's my two cents even though this is not medical advice. First have you actually been diagnosed with depression? You always should have medical causes for low energy ruled out (ie thyroid, vitamin deficiency etc). Second are you getting treated for depression? Depression is a syndrome, meaning it is a bunch of symptoms lumped together, not just low mood. Low energy is a symptom. Third, exercise can improve depression, but obviously only if you can get yourself to do it. Therefore it's more important to kickstart yourself another way, certain antidepressants can target low energy, motivation, and fatigue. I would see a psychiatrist (or at the very least your family doctor) to address this. Also I agree with the above poster regarding a light box, but that's not necessarily enough by itself. Hope you feel better!

Therapist here, this is also not clinical advice- just my 2 cents, but ditto the above. Also, creating a schedule is helpful. Another poster noted this, but as hard as forcing yourself to move is, you literally have to "make" yourself do it. Have anybody that can do a check-in with you? Friend or partner that can walk or something with you? Once you get into a routine, it does tend to become easier.

Forcing yourself is a big part of it, particularly early on in treatment.

Best wishes!
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    I have had depression off and on throughout my entire life. I know how it is a struggle to get up and do anything. The lowest point in my depression what right after my daughter was born. I was switched between 3 different medications in 6 months. None of them seemed to help. I know that some days are easier than others, and I don't know if the things that worked for me will work for you.

My most recent point in the depression was about three months ago. I have just recently decided to take this into my own hands. The day after Thanksgiving I stopped taking my meds and forced myself out of bed. My sister in law told me about this website so I signed up. She asked some of her friends to friend me, and they are the nicest people I know. I did minimal workouts for the first few days, and the more my friends supported me, the more I wanted to do.

When the first few pounds dropped off, I had felt better than I had in years. Then the more weight that I lost, the more I wanted to do. I started to motivate myself. I still have bad days, but when I exercise, I feel so great. I can't even find words to describe how I feel after. My energy levels come up, I am nicer to everyone, and even my marriage started getting better.

I don't mean to steal your thread, but I just thought that maybe my story could help you. I hope you find some balance and are able to find happiness!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear therapists weigh in! I personally suffer from Bipolar type II, my depression being the more debilitating problem. Getting diagnosed is, in my opinion, crucial, assuming you are describing a depression that has lasted longer than 6 months and has no known root cause. Sometimes you may think you have something and really have something entirely different, so it's good to get a DSM evaluation if you can.
    If you are medicated and experiencing these side effects, discuss a switch with your doctor. I had to go off Abilify when I tried it because it made me so tired I was almost falling asleep at the wheel (and that was mid-day, after drinking up to 8 cups of coffee!), even at the lowest mg. dosages possible.

Exercise helps, so forcing yourself to do it, or at least do something small will potentially help lift your mood for a while. Have someone you're accountable to, that helps for me. Talk therapy is also awesome, as well as support groups. Find what works for you.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    First have you actually been diagnosed with depression? You always should have medical causes for low energy ruled out (ie thyroid, vitamin deficiency etc). Second are you getting treated for depression? Depression is a syndrome, meaning it is a bunch of symptoms lumped together, not just low mood. Low energy is a symptom. Third, exercise can improve depression, but obviously only if you can get yourself to do it. Therefore it's more important to kickstart yourself another way, certain antidepressants can target low energy, motivation, and fatigue. I would see a psychiatrist (or at the very least your family doctor) to address this. Also I agree with the above poster regarding a light box, but that's not necessarily enough by itself, as the e evidence is not all there. It certainly won't hurt. Finally often times sleep is dysregulated in depression and working on better sleep habits and patterns can be a good start too.. Hope you feel better!

And p.s. I also believe in the saying "fake it til you make it" so if you can force yourself to start being active in any way then absolutely do it!

Yes I have been diagnosed with depression many years ago. I used to take tablets but my GP took me off them as they gave me really bad suicidal thoughts...

Also I live in aus so it's summer here right now.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear therapists weigh in! I personally suffer from Bipolar type II, my depression being the more debilitating problem. Getting diagnosed is, in my opinion, crucial, assuming you are describing a depression that has lasted longer than 6 months and has no known root cause. Sometimes you may think you have something and really have something entirely different, so it's good to get a DSM evaluation if you can.
    If you are medicated and experiencing these side effects, discuss a switch with your doctor. I had to go off Abilify when I tried it because it made me so tired I was almost falling asleep at the wheel (and that was mid-day, after drinking up to 8 cups of coffee!), even at the lowest mg. dosages possible.

Exercise helps, so forcing yourself to do it, or at least do something small will potentially help lift your mood for a while. Have someone you're accountable to, that helps for me. Talk therapy is also awesome, as well as support groups. Find what works for you.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago...
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Another poster noted this, but as hard as forcing yourself to move is, you literally have to "make" yourself do it. Have anybody that can do a check-in with you? Friend or partner that can walk or something with you? Once you get into a routine, it does tend to become easier.

Forcing yourself is a big part of it, particularly early on in treatment.

Having a routine is the only thing that helps me. When I don't have school, or work something driving me. Honestly I could sleep 20 hours a day that is how bad my depression can be if I don't set a routine.

Luckily. I have friends and a boyfriend who understand my condition who support me. On days when I am sitting and bed and feeling that fustration of knowing I should be doing something. I can call.

You have to take the first step though. Create that support system. Talk to people. Say "Hey, If I am feeling down. Can I call you so I have someone to go?" Even if you aren't going out and doing something amazing. Just going over a friends house and reading a book or watching a movie. Is a huge step when you couldn't even get yourself out of bed a week ago.

Its all about baby steps. Eventually it gets easier and easier.

Feel free to add me. I would love to support you on your journey I have been there several times. I am sure I will end up there again. We all need help, we just need to know when to ask for it.