I think I'm afraid of giving up certain foods

Options
I know how to eat healthy. I can correctly guess the calories and protein in just about anything. I know all the benefits of nutrition, where foods come from, what to avoid, what to eat in moderation, etc.

That said, for me, weight loss and a healthy lifestyle is not just about knowledge. It is extremely psychological and emotional. And at this point in my life, I am not sure if I can let go of the unhealthy foods (cookies, lattes, pizza, etc) in exchange for a much more nutritious diet. I associate food with a lot of good feelings and memories. I eat to feel full, happy, and secure. I eat when I'm bored, I eat because I think "what if i can never eat this again?" I eat because I think I deserve it, and there's always tomorrow.

My mom is the best cook ever. Honestly. My whole family is obsessed with indulging in delicious foods. None of us are really *fat*, but we sure do know how to eat! Still living with my family, it's hard for me to embrace a healthy lifestyle when I have a million different fatty foods in my face every day. Also, those memories of family and good times are associated with good foods.
It's so hard for me to stop eating these things and to eat more vegetables and whole grains, etc.

Also, in high school, I was borderline anorexic, ate super healthy, and like 800 calories a day + 2 hours of exercise. Embracing a healthy lifestyle once again is hard for me to do without associating it with mental disorders that plagued me in high school.

This is sounding like a journal entry, but I guess my main question is, can ANYONE out there relate to how I'm feeling, and what do I do about it??
Thanks.

Replies

• GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think that what you're feeling every person on this site has felt to some degree at one stage or another. I love food too, love to cook for others (especially my boyfriend) and love the feeling of sitting down to a really good meal. I find it difficult dieting with my boyfriend who loves to snack, but I am learning that I can't join him all the time in what he eats. That said I don't cut myself off completely - I will eat a small portion of what he is having so I don't feel like I am cutting myself off completely. I think it's important to mix in small portions of junk food/pizza into your calorie plan so you don't feel deprived all the time.

I have found that by cutting out as many carbs as possible during the day gives me an extra couple hundred calories for a small snack of something I want to eat - maybe chips or an alcoholic beverage. I try to eat yogurt, hummus, fish, beans and low-fat cheese for protein and fill in the rest with lots of raw fruit and veggies. If you feel you need to snack, cut up a bunch of celery, cucumber, melon and eat it raw - filling yet low cal. Also, I like to have a stash of things around 100 calories on hand when I want something more interesting - a cup of soup, special k or nutri grain bar - that will satisfy my craving but it has a limit.

My final suggestion to you would be maybe to increase your calorie intake on MFP to something you're more comfortable with - if it's 1200 maybe raise it to 1400, so you can get used to that number without binging on things and not logging them. When I first started on this site i started at 1200, then felt like I was starving all the time and gave up for a few months. I'm back now and this time I feel like 1200 somehow works for me - this must be psychological! ;) Anyways, maybe if you stick to something like 1400, for example, and log everything you eat and try and stay under that number you can get used to the routine, then eventually go down to 1350, then 1300, etc. Also, find the most high calorie things you eat and try to cut down on them, or substitute them with something else.

Hope this helps - I'm kinda rambling on my own feelings but this is what is working for me so far! Remember you have ppl on this site for support!! x
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to mix in small portions of junk food/pizza into your calorie plan so you don't feel deprived all the time.

^ This.
  • kattia1973
    kattia1973 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to mix in small portions of junk food/pizza into your calorie plan so you don't feel deprived all the time.

^ This.

Agreed! I can never give up on chocolate. When I first found out I had diabetes 3 years ago I made a life change then. I got my A1C down to 5.6 from 8.7 and I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months and still did not give up my chocolate. I bought bite size 3 musketeers and kept them in the freezer. For a snack I allowed myself to have 4 of them. Since they were frozen solid, it took me a bit to eat them and felt satisfied.
  • nikicrin
    nikicrin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did feel the same a you for years, also very protective over food and unable to share a meal in half, always had to give myself the tiniest bit more... Which now seems like insane behaviour! I wish I could put my finger on it but I can't, I just realised how simple the whole thing is... I think to always assess what you're feeling helps, I used to think I needed food instantly when I felt a little bit hungry and use that to justify grabbing the closest thing ie maccies/subway, when in fact ten minute to find a healthier option will not kill me! Good luck on your journey, and the fact you are examining the psychological aspects to dieting means you are likely to do well xxx