Cooking with cottage cheese

Options
eeebee
eeebee Posts: 471 Member
What are your favourite recipes which use cottage cheese in place of normal cheese or cream?

Does cottage cheese melt well? Strangely, I have never really attemtped using it since I started my new healthier lifestyle.

I'm quite a snacker, so both snacks and main meal ideas would be most welcome.

I've found a few nice recipes on google but I'd like your ideas too.

PS. Savoury is my thing, sweet not so much.

Thanks!

Replies

• eeebee
    Options
    Anyone? :ohwell:
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but it looks great!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cottage-cheese-chicken-enchiladas/
  • eeebee
    Options
    Mmmm it does! Thanks :)
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    Not a problem! Glad I could help in some way :)
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese usually melts and blends well when I cook with it! I have used it as a substitute for eggs in dough-based dishes like pancakes and it tastes good.
    I also saw a website last week with recipes for protein shakes that use cottage cheese as the thickening agent and creamy texture. AMAZING.
    The only thing is that sometimes when cooking with it, rather than melting, it will separate into curds and liquid . This hasn't happened to me a lot and I still don't know why. But if it happens to you, now you're prepared!
  • eeebee
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - all of this is good to know :flowerforyou:
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've used it in place of ricotta for baked pasta... It was a delicious experiment that turned out well!
    Here's a brunch-type recipe that I adore! If I had cottage cheese, I'd make it right now.

Spinach Pie
    1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1/2 c. ff cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 c ff cottage chesse
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 eggs (or use egg substitute)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Optional:
    Add sundried tomatoes and black olives for pizza style, or add turkey bacon and green onions. Or whatever veggies are left in the fridge!

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients. Pour into a sprayed pie dish and bake for 45 minutes.
  • eeebee
    Options
    I've used it in place of ricotta for baked pasta... It was a delicious experiment that turned out well!
    Here's a brunch-type recipe that I adore! If I had cottage cheese, I'd make it right now.

Spinach Pie
    1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1/2 c. ff cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 c ff cottage chesse
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 eggs (or use egg substitute)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Optional:
    Add sundried tomatoes and black olives for pizza style, or add turkey bacon and green onions. Or whatever veggies are left in the fridge!

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients. Pour into a sprayed pie dish and bake for 45 minutes.

Thank you for this lovely recipe, it sounds delicious - I am going to make this with a couple layers of blind baked filo to trick myself into thinking it's an actual pie-pie! :)

PS can you make this using just egg whites or will it dramaticaly change the texture and moistness?
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Mmm I want to remember that recipe above!

I love cottage cheese and my usual way of eating it is with salsa mixed in.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eeebee
    Options
    Mmmmmm found some great ideas here for those who may be interested!

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here's a delicious recipe you might enjoy:

Dilly Bread
    Makes 1 loaf (16 slices per loaf)
    1 package dry yeast
    ¼ cup warm water
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, heated to lukewarm
    1 tablespoon acceptable margarine
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    2 teaspoons dill seed
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    Vegetable oil spray
    Acceptable margarine, melted

In a bowl, soften yeast in warm water. Add cottage cheese and stir to mix well.
    Add remaining ingredients except flour. Stir to mix well.
    Gradually mix in flour to form a stiff dough. Beat well. Let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
    Lightly spray a 2-quart round or 9-x-5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.
    Punch down dough and put in a prepared casserole or loaf pan.
    Cover and let rise 40 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350° F.
    Bake bread 40 to 50 minutes. Brush with a small amount of melted margarine while still hot.
    Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan.
  • eeebee
    Options
    Thanks pope - quite carbacious but sounds delicious - will attempt making this over the holidays :)
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    PS can you make this using just egg whites or will it dramaticaly change the texture and moistness?
    [/quote]

Hmmmm...I dunno. If you try it, Let me know how it goes! But once it cools a bit, it cuts just like a pie/quiche. Super good!
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just made this yesterday! You can make it smaller if you like, this was for a work party ")

2 containers light cottage cheese

1/4 cup chopped red pepper

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1/4 cup chopped green onion

1/4 cup chopped roma tomato (seeded)

pinch of the following:

celery salt - salt - pepper- mustard seeds- garlic or onion power

Refrigerate for an hour ( add tomatoes right before serving)
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

This is how I eat and it works :) I am not following a diet eating everything in moderation and losing the weight :)
    You will find some recipe with cottage cheese :) I am from Hungary where we make a lots of dishes with it :P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any recipes but I had a friend in school whose family had a housekeeper/cook who was Italian. She used cottage cheese in lasagna instead of ricotta. I don't think she did it for weight loss though, that's just how she made it. It was awesome!
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese Pancakes from Tosca Reno - to die for!!
    Here's the link
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=159573
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any recipes but I had a friend in school whose family had a housekeeper/cook who was Italian. She used cottage cheese in lasagna instead of ricotta. I don't think she did it for weight loss though, that's just how she made it. It was awesome!

That's how my mom always made her lasagna....I never knew most people use ricota until I started learning to cook. I gotta say that I actually prefer the cottage cheese in the lasagna to this day....
  • abeachlady
    Options
    Quickie snack, stir some Ranch Dressing powder into cottage cheese, top with halved grape tomatoes. So yummy!